Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Speaking of Filppula, if he was being used the way he was brought here to be used, as 3C, he wouldn't be even nearly as big of an issue as he currently is. Just look at how he was used tonight, the most icetime of any forward, other than Simmonds who had 00:02 more.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Speaking of Filppula, if he was being used the way he was brought here to be used, as 3C, he wouldn't be even nearly as big of an issue as he currently is. Just look at how he was used tonight, the most icetime of any forward, other than Simmonds who had 00:02 more.

Exactly. This has been covered ad nauseum but getting Filppula, a 4th and a 7th for Streit will always be a good move. We took advantage of a team in a cap crunch. If he was being used appropriately it would look even better. Hopefully Patrick can take some icetime away from him in the 2nd half of the season and then he is flipped at the deadline to get yet another asset.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Striiker, you're misrespresenting my Weise argument by acting like the only reason I didn't like the signing is because I didn't want to sign anyone, and that what I thought of Weise as a player had zero bearing. I specifically said I thought Weise stunk and was close to an AHL/waiver wire caliber player. I pointed out his 1 assist in 15 games with Chicago along with a healthy scratch and showed that Colin McDonald had a higher career NHL points per game. I said he scored a couple of "clutch" playoffs goals in his career and that probably fooled Hextall. I saw no reason to give a fringe player a 4 year contract worth $2.35m/per against the cap.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

One reasons is this:
FO%
Giroux 57.7%
Couts 54.7%
Filppula 53.1%
Laughton 47.8%
Patrick 46.4%

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's averaging 17 minutes for the year, pretty normal for a 2C.

It's really a matter of Patrick getting healthy and skating better, at which time I expect his TOI will increase by 4-5 minutes a night, Filppula will lose 3-4 minutes, and Couts 1-2.

We're not going to have stable lines until the AHL kids come up and prove themselves ready.
Weise should be banished, Leier and Weal need to be pushed, and Filppula's role should be reduced.
But you have to have replacements in place to do that.

However, Hextall is right, there's no point promoting a player to watch him struggle for 10 minutes a night like the guy he's replacing - promote them when they're better than the guy they're replacing so you avoid the yo-yo.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Striiker, you're misrespresenting my Weise argument by acting like the only reason I didn't like the signing is because I didn't want to sign anyone, and that what I thought of Weise as a player had zero bearing. I specifically said I thought Weise stunk and was close to an AHL/waiver wire caliber player. I pointed out his 1 assist in 15 games with Chicago along with a healthy scratch and showed that Colin McDonald had a higher career NHL points per game. I said he scored a couple of "clutch" playoffs goals in his career and that probably fooled Hextall. I saw no reason to give a fringe player a 4 year contract worth $2.35m/per against the cap.

Before the actual signing you weren't so against him...

I'm going to miss White, especially after the effort he gave in the playoffs this season.

But Weise should be a bit of an upgrade.

I'm skeptical that White ever was really Hextall's preference. I think he preferred Weise (as the faster and better player) and Gordon (for better upgrading faceoffs and the PK).

If he really wanted White, he wouldn't have balked at giving him only 50k more than Gordon.

Could be. Has size. Has the "will" Hextall values.

But I'm with you. He's probably another UFA overpayment waiting to happen. Nice player in a limited role, but this is where you ideally save money by having younger guys in the system able to step into those roles, like Pittsburgh did.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/120038323/

Weise? Meh. Works hard but I think he's a little overrated. I guess if they aren't going to sign Ryan White. But something tells me he's going to get too much $$ for a guy who isn't far off from Vandevelde and Bellemare and would probably play on that line.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/120232515/

... it was only after he signed that suddenly you had a real issue.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's averaging 17 minutes for the year, pretty normal for a 2C.

It's really a matter of Patrick getting healthy and skating better, at which time I expect his TOI will increase by 4-5 minutes a night, Filppula will lose 3-4 minutes, and Couts 1-2.

We're not going to have stable lines until the AHL kids come up and prove themselves ready.
Weise should be banished, Leier and Weal need to be pushed, and Filppula's role should be reduced.
But you have to have replacements in place to do that.

However, Hextall is right, there's no point promoting a player to watch him struggle for 10 minutes a night like the guy he's replacing - promote them when they're better than the guy they're replacing so you avoid the yo-yo.
They could easily give Laughton more time. He's only getting 12:38 per game and has been good-to-great for most of the season.

Laughton getting more time would be good, Filppula getting less time would be great. Win/win.

And I'm not even saying to swap their roles and put Laughton as 2C, because I don't think that's the right move either.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Before the actual signing you weren't so against him...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/120038323/

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/120232515/

... it was only after he signed that suddenly you had a real issue.

Because they gave him an absolutely ludicrous 4 year $2.35M per contract for a guy I said was at a Vandevelde/Bellemare level. That set me off, and I called it a bad signing, citing all of things I said in my previous post that you want to ignore.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Because they gave him an absolutely ludicrous 4 year $2.35M per contract for a guy I said was at a Vandevelde/Bellemare level. That set me off, and I called it a bad signing, citing all of things I said in my previous post that you want to ignore.
At this time his ridiculous contract isn't even the issue as he would only count as 1.3 mil dead cap space were he buried in ahl. Even overlooking the failure on scouts when bringing him in, the fact that he failed to show a single discernable nhl skill and still isn't buried is the issue. There's something rotten within flyers organization.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If those skilled young players were NHL ready, I suspect they'd be in the NHL.
The fact that fans want these players to be promoted does not necessarily mean they're ready to be promoted.
Right now it would be hard to pick out any Phantoms player who is a slam dunk to be successful in the NHL today.

Reactions: MacDonald4MVP

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's not hard to pick out vets who are a slam dunk to be unsuccessful in the NHL today.

Might as well bring up an unsure thing than keep a sure negative.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, if you're developing players, develop them. Don't force feed them and lose a year of development.
When players are ready to be promoted, it's often pretty obvious.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Weise would have been a much better signing if he had the ability to play short handed or on the power play. Signing a bottom six player to that deal that can't do those things isn't the smartest thing to do. I would say that is Hextall's worst move, but by the looks of things the Flyers will be a contending team for a long time once the prospects start making it. Getting Weise has helped us get better draft picks to build the future core so we got that going for us.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t really know what a third year of being a top tier player in the Q would have for done Couturier. He did play half of year in the AHL during the lockout in his second year after being drafted.

Ultimately he’s not of the dynamic variety of players & those guys tend to pop earlier.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Players can develop in the NHL.

I obviously mean people who look like they can handle it.
They 100% do develop in the nhl but maybe not optimally. Depends alot on their position and physical and emotional maturity. Sometimes it's a really hard call and I think it's better to err on the conservative side and let them dominate all lower levels first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad