LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
858.gif

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Lehtera was clearly a salary dump, and that's part of the negotiations, I doubt St Louis gives up the 2nd 1st rd pick if we don't take on Lehtera's salary.
Salary dumps aren't played 60+ games and given increasing job responsibilities during the season. I agree that St.Louis probably does not include the second 1st without Lehtera being part of the trade.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course this team is competitive, they made the playoffs with 98 points, most years you only need 92 or so.
Now are they a legitimate SC contender, no yet, but in any year how many teams would qualify? 4? 6?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Salary dumps aren't played 60+ games and given increasing job responsibilities during the season. I agree that St.Louis probably does not include the second 1st without Lehtera being part of the trade.

Then he's a salary dump, because he was the price to get the 2nd 1st rd pick.
Lehtera ended up playing because Leier, Weise were fails, Simmonds was hurt, and Laughton wasn't a good center (played better at LW with Lehtera at C).
Read, Weise, Lehtera and Leier all averaged less than 11 minutes. All interchangeable scrubs.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And my point, is that Hextall should be working on finding players who will be here from 2017 and beyond. Saying it's expensive to do something is akin to whining that something is difficult. He's the GM, it's his job to figure it out. Having a player in 2017 that could still be productive in 2020 would mean Hextall is excelling at his job. Punting the ball down the road because, "reasons" is lame.

Exactly. A guy like Skinner is a perfect example of a trade they can pursue now that will help for many years to come. "Kick the can" should be the official motto of HF Flyers.

Reactions: Ruck Over and bauer

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Lehtera was clearly a salary dump, and that's part of the negotiations, I doubt St Louis gives up the 2nd 1st rd pick if we don't take on Lehtera's salary.

You're portraying it as if the Flyers got Lehtera for a 1st. Perhaps it might have been a 1st and their 2nd for just Schenn or two firsts for Schenn and a 2nd/3rd. Who knows what was offered but the Flyers did not get the 14th pick for Lehtera. That 1st rounder was suppose to be a late pick (26-31) not the 14th pick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why would we want to trade for a center with one year left on his contract.
He won't come cheap and he won't help win the SC in 2018-19, and he'll cost too much to extend.
25-19 ES, which is good 2C numbers. But we have a 2C.

The problem is fit, if you're gonna give a lot, it has to be for a controllable player on the top 6 or top 4 or a starting, above average goalie.
You could upgrade Lindblom, though he'll probably be a lot better next year, who else on the top 6?
And what do you pay for a 3C for a year until Frost is ready?
You could upgrade the top four defensemen for a year unless you think Myers is ready in 2018-19.

Comes down to cost-benefit, if goalie and depth are the biggest problem, then overpaying for one year over Lindblom or Myers doesn't make sense relative to adding depth players at low cost who can contribute on the PK.

But I don't want to give up a 1st rd pick for one season of a good player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're portraying it as if the Flyers got Lehtera for a 1st. Perhaps it might have been a 1st and their 2nd for just Schenn or two firsts for Schenn and a 2nd/3rd. Who knows what was offered but the Flyers did not get the 14th pick for Lehtera. That 1st rounder was suppose to be a late pick (26-31) not the 14th pick.

No one is giving you a 1st for a salary dump, but it probably bumped the 2nd pick up from the 2nd to 1st rd or so - and yes we got lucky, but it was still an expected jump from #56 to #25. Which is really good value, since you'd probably have to give up another 2nd or a 3rd and 4th or so to move up (see what we gave to move up to take Ratcliffe).

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
No one is giving you a 1st for a salary dump, but it probably bumped the 2nd pick up from the 2nd to 1st rd or so - and yes we got lucky, but it was still an expected jump from #56 to #25. Which is really good value, since you'd probably have to give up another 2nd or a 3rd and 4th or so to move up (see what we gave to move up to take Ratcliffe).

You've missed my point. You initially painted that picture as something it was totally not.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, I just said Lehtera's contract was the price of moving up to the 1st rd with the 2018 pick of the trade.
Flyers were always focused on #27, they expected Frost to fall and Hextall was in love.
The 2018 pick was probably the crux of the negotiations. Big jump from late 2nd to late 1st, but Blues were in win now mode and needed the cap room.
So no Lehtera, no 2018 1st (probably a 2nd instead) - and we may end up with Frost and another very good prospect - for that, I'll endure Lehtera.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Can't really win can we? If it goes well then we're lucky, if it goes badly then we deserve everything we get.

Maybe we saw a weakness in the Blues team and thought we'd take advantage? Do we not get any credit at all?

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
I'll tell you something, bud, I learned the hard way here that one should never assume anything when it comes to that kind of thing. You guys are worried about the curtains matching the drapes, but I have to worry about whether or not the curtains have a rod.

Main reason I’m not going to Phuket or anywhere in that country while still not married.

Jon Cooper come over and replace Hakstol.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Main reason I’m not going to Phuket or anywhere in that country while still not married.

Jon Cooper come over and replace Hakstol.
If you are still in the dating world....and for some reason you went to Thailand for a vacation..even for benign reasons like the beach and just normal travel...never ever say you went there at all. They assume you aided and abetted human trafficking and you are some creeper. I have never been but have dated a lot and so many of the girls said they had no interest in guys who bragged about traveling to Thailand single. Pretty harsh and judgemental

And yes...the whole lady boy thing is kind of unnerving. I prefer Bush Gardens over Longwood Gardens...

Reactions: gertbfrobe16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->