Finnish pests

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Finland was always physical and hard to play against until like 2015 or something. Finland changed style and reminds me of swedish hockey style nowdays.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Finland was always physical and hard to play against until like 2015 or something. Finland changed style and reminds me of swedish hockey style nowdays.
You make it sound like the "change in style" was some kind of conscious choice. What simply happened is that Finland managed to grow a solid crop of high-end players and didn't have to rely so heavily on grinders anymore. Go figure.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You make it sound like the "change in style" was some kind of conscious choice. What simply happened is that Finland managed to grow a solid crop of high-end players and didn't have to rely so heavily on grinders anymore. Go figure.
No. Finland is not physical in eht and wc, even when high end players not there.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
No. Finland is not physical in eht and wc, even when high end players not there.
When I said "high-end players", I didn't mean it as synonymous with "NHLers". Even those who never made it to the big league possess far more skill than the previous generation.

FINJuniors

Aug 22, 2022
Pests, goons and fighters are a dying breed. Physical players as well. No surprise that national teams are not playing tough game anymore.

Agree. I don't miss goons, pests and fighters, but do miss physical players. Oh boy, the world needs a new Foppan at least.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
It certainly was a tradition in Finland. There haven´t been that many pests in Finnish league either in recent years. Or atleast new ones. Younger Riska is still there.Tommi Tikka (Now in SEL) and Åsten has been the most prominent. But none of those are exactly young anymore.

I think that kind of skillset that the OP mentioned besides Tikkanen aren´t looked anymore in NHL either that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00