Finnish goalies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
I´m sorry, just dont see the 2nd backup to be any of those. Kipper and Nurminen will be the first 2 goalies and after that Lehtonen, Niittymäki or Toskala. Markkanen & Norononen are out, Lehtonen is Raato´s favourite? Niittymäki was very solid in couple of games with Philly, Toskala also played couple games in Sharks goal - but seems to be a bit outsider.. We´ll see in couple of days.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
1- Mikka Kiprusoff
2- Pasi Nurminen
3- Kari Lehtonen

Phanuthier*

ZeroTheHero said:
Vesa Toskala. I am hoping for Nurminen and Lehtonen to be the other goalies.
I would be very surprised if Kiprusoff was left off the team

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
ZeroTheHero said:
Me too, but the hope is the last that dies.

Why wouldn't you want him on the team? :dunno:

Also, whatever happened to Jani Hurme? Last I heard he was in Florida; I thought he played pretty well for Finland at the 2002 Olympics...but he doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar right now.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
colonel_korn said:
Why wouldn't you want him on the team? :dunno:

Also, whatever happened to Jani Hurme? Last I heard he was in Florida; I thought he played pretty well for Finland at the 2002 Olympics...but he doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar right now.
He was acquired by Atlanta but he was injured. Not sure if he ever played for Atlanta. Man what is it with the Thrashers and Finnish guys?

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Sotnos said:
Does Fredrik Norrena make it, or has he only been involved in a lot of international competitions because there's no one better available? :dunno:

If it was the Olympics in question he'd have a chance, but small ice surface should pretty much guarantee that he won't make the team.

He would deserve being on the team though (as would Toskala, Nurminen and Lehtonen). Despite the fact that he hasn't played in the NHL, he's an excellent goaltender who only gets better when the stakes go up, not to mention that he's arguably the best stickhandler among Finnish goalies.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Sampe said:
If it was the Olympics in question he'd have a chance, but small ice surface should pretty much guarantee that he won't make the team.
Yeah, I was thinking about that also, he might not be the best choice for a tourney played on NHL ice.

He would deserve being on the team though (as would Toskala, Nurminen and Lehtonen). Despite the fact that he hasn't played in the NHL, he's an excellent goaltender who only gets better when the stakes go up, not to mention that he's arguably the best stickhandler among Finnish goalies.
Thanks so much for the info. I read a lot of updates about how he's doing, but I wasn't sure how he was thought of by Finnish hockey fans.

I'm hoping Tampa signs him next year, I really want to get a look at this guy up-close and see what he can do.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Anthony said:
what does "seems to be a bit outsider" mean
After he fockedup in the St.Petersburgh WCs-tournament, the speculation of him joining the Finnish team has been very minimal. And i think he wont be joining the World Cup -team.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
mikkoz said:
After he fockedup in the St.Petersburgh WCs-tournament, the speculation of him joining the Finnish team has been very minimal.

You mean the semi-final vs. Slovakia? But in that case, both Kiprusoff and Nurminen have had their share of weak performances for team Finland.

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
Sampe said:
You mean the semi-final vs. Slovakia? But in that case, both Kiprusoff and Nurminen have had their share of weak performances for team Finland.

Yeah it seems odd to count Norronen right out of consideration due to a bad game in the WCs this year, and have Toskala's chances be as a longshot for a bad game in the past. Especially since overall they played so well. If that is the criteria every Finnish goalie who has ever blown a lead against a team (Usually the Swedes, come on you know its true) would be out of consideration and there would be nobody left to chose from. I think Norronen and Markkanen are at least as if not more deserving of mention than Niittymakim and Norrena, and taking Toskala, Nurminen, and Lehtonen over them is not a no-brainer either. All have shown a lot of skills and they all look like they could be starters on an nhl team if given the chance, but none have done this yet, except for Kipper (granted with Lehtonen age is the reason).

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Sampe said:
Yes, that i mean. He hasn´t got an invitation after that. Nurminen and Kiprusoff have both been more solid in Leijonat, at least in one tournament.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Fincan said:
Yeah it seems odd to count Norronen right out of consideration due to a bad game in the WCs this year, and have Toskala's chances be as a longshot for a bad game in the past.
Indeed, especially World Cup is playd in smaller rinks, that all the NHL goalies are used to.

Fincan said:
Especially since overall they played so well. If that is the criteria every Finnish goalie who has ever blown a lead against a team (Usually the Swedes, come on you know its true) would be out of consideration and there would be nobody left to chose from.
This is not true(imho). Finns usually play very well against the Swedes, in 2002 and 2003 tournaments the goalies didn´t play very well at all. Goal tending usually faills more badly against Slovakia, Russia or Kanada. Sweden is not a problem due to a team spirit they usually get against them.

Fincan said:
I think Norronen and Markkanen are at least as if not more deserving of mention than Niittymakim and Norrena, and taking Toskala, Nurminen, and Lehtonen over them is not a no-brainer either. All have shown a lot of skills and they all look like they could be starters on an nhl team if given the chance, but none have done this yet, except for Kipper (granted with Lehtonen age is the reason).
Well, wasn´t Nurminen no.1 starter in Atlanta this year?? Although he was injured at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->