Finland's Gold Medal hopes 100% faded now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

houtan99

Dec 8, 2005
San Diego
Without their #1 tender and now as all-star defenceman Aki Berg may not be in their line up according to TSN.

TSN.ca Staff

2/3/2006 1:35:00 AM

Toronto Maple Leafs, and Team Canada, coach Pat Quinn doesn't think that Aki Berg will be able to play in the Olympics.

Quinn told the Toronto Star, "I can't speak for (the Finnish team), but if he can't play for us, I can't see how he can play for them. He's still having considerable pain in the rib area. Something is going on there."

The Star indicates that Berg will be having an MRI to determine the extent of the rib damage that has kept him out since January 26.

Berg played for Finland in the 1998 and 2002 Olympics, as well as the 2004 World Cup of Hockey.

In 47 games for the Leafs this year, Berg has three assists and a minus-2 rating.

hahahahhahahahahhahaha

I'm a leafs fan btw... go leafs go.

joe_shannon_1983*

houtan99 said:
Quinn told the Toronto Star, "I can't speak for (the Finnish team), but if he can't play for us, I can't see how he can play for them.

Quinn is right.

*[rant start]*

However, many NHL teams have to understand that the converse also holds true.

IE....If a player can't play for the national team for health reasons, then in theory they shouldn't be healthy enough to play for an NHL team either.

Right Calgary (*cough*Kiprusoff*cough*)?

Players pulling out of the Olympics due to health reasons, but continuing to play for their NHL teams is a joke.

It shows either that teams are putting a subtle gun to the players heads to skip the Olympics, or that the players simply don't care.

Either way, the 2006 Olympic tournament is fast becoming a watered-down B-tournament, ala the World Championships. And for me, a hockey fan who has been looking forward to the 2006 Olympics since 2002 Olympics ended, it p***es me off.

You would think that both the owners and players would be trying extra-hard to give the fans what they want, after all of the s**t that they put the fans through during the lock-out.

*[/rant finished]*

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
subtle gun?

what can a team do?
especially in kippers position. are they going to cut his ice time?
give me a break

kipper pulled out cuz he wanted to go for the cup rather than the gold. he knew even if he could repeat the world cup, they'd still lose to canada or czech, so whats the point if the teams not strong enough ?

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
So Berg could be out? Väänänen with a broken anke?

Ouch.

Who do we have left in North America, Niinimaa, Pettinen? Not exactly ideal choices imho. And then we have Erkka with a chrush on Nummelin..

=(

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
blacklabel said:
Maybe he will carry us to the final just like his brother did. :sarcasm:

No, he'll catch the flu again and infect our goalies with it during the team photo shoot and then when we play Sweden we'll run out of goalies at the halfway point and surrender a 4 goal lead..

:cry:

For that reason alone, Kiprusoft should have his passport revoked..
any chance Boumedienne is selectable for us like he almost was last year?

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
This is starting to feel like some players are trying to avoid playing for Finland. Maybe this is some kind of a rebellion against the finnish hockey bosses for firing Summanen after a great world cup.

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
houtan99 said:
Finland's Gold Medal hopes 100% faded now...

Ahhhh that's a little harsh don't you think? You've still got Ruutu. ;)

Seriously though, I'm sorry to hear about Vaananen, according to the Dever Post, he will be undergoing surgery today. Hope all goes well for him.

SChan*

Jyssy said:
Kiprusoff, Lehtonen, Kapanen, Berg, Väänänen... Are we ever gonna catch a break?

Naslund, Johnson, Kronwall and more to come.

but yeah after finland, sweden is the worst affected by this.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Esko6 said:
This is starting to feel like some players are trying to avoid playing for Finland. Maybe this is some kind of a rebellion against the finnish hockey bosses for firing Summanen after a great world cup.

i think that is the real reason kiprusoff isn't playing, he is just using the "i want to win the cup" excuse

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Raimo Sillanpää said:
So Berg could be out? Väänänen with a broken anke?

Ouch.

Who do we have left in North America, Niinimaa, Pettinen? Not exactly ideal choices imho. And then we have Erkka with a chrush on Nummelin..

=(
It doesn't look too bad.

Pitkanen - Timonen
Salo - Numinen
Lydman - Niinimaa

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
A National Tragedy.

People laugh when Aki's name is mentioned on Finland's Olympic team.

But what they don't realize is Aki has ALWAYS elevated Aki's game several notches, whenever Aki wears the Finnish jersey.

Whether at the World Juniors, 2 Olympics or the World Cup, Aki leaves it all on the ice.

Aki is what Finnish hockey is all about.

Finland is doomed without Aki.

Maybe this is just a ploy by Quinn. Quinn wants Aki off the Finnish team, and at the same time, Quinn needs Aki rested if the Leafs go anywhere in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad