GDT: Finland vs Kazakhstan

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
well you know how it goes, you can sometimes struggle against these much weaker teams with a weaker then can be roster, superior players usually count and better players available today and this game wouldn't have been lost.And I think they didn't play well on the big sheet myself, they weren't very dangerous overall today despite the clear advantage in shots and very loosey goosey devil may care defensively at times. On the flip side I thought the boys from Kazakhstan played a great game on the big ice tailor made to keeping the puck outside as much as possible and limiting dangerous chances. A Game plan that if executed could give them their best chance to pull off a big upset.

They have a damn good coach behind the bench there so I am sure they can sort out their limitations here and make the adjustments needed to be a factor at this tournament.

KAZ played the way they should play indeed. Referees not giving penalties to either team was kind of interesting though. It was one PP for each team during the entire game. I think this maybe benefited KAZ more, because usually the puck possession team (Finland 67% if I remember right) draws more penalties. They could play tougher because of it. I mean the game wasn't very dirty but it wasn't clean either.

I'm not too upset, because it's a growing experience and reality check for the Finnish team now and Finland always needs one result like that to succeed. Plus this forces our coach to change few lines that aren't working. One example is having Lundell as a winger instead of center currently.

Reactions: Vohaul and jj cale

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
I know it's not fair to blame the loss on Säteri, he did take a few important saves but I don't know.. he's never really filled me with confidence when he's been the goalie for the national team.. hope they stick with Olkinuora.

Finn's lacked effiecency and finish today and that cost us the game. we dominated the possession and shots but a lot of the shots were from low danger areas too, and Kazakhstan excecuted that very defensive game very well which really does work well for underdogs on regular basis when done right.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
In the past 10 years or so, it has almost become a tradition that Finland always loses to these "smaller" teams, no matter if we ice a no-name team or our NHL All Star team.

Something mental?

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
In the past 10 years or so, it has almost become a tradition that Finland always loses to these "smaller" teams, no matter if we ice a no-name team or our NHL All Star team.

Something mental?
"NHL All Star Team" Finland never had in WC. Yes 2018 with some Top-Players, but not in depth.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland

Something mental?

I think that the players consider the games against the smaller nations as a games that just have to be played. Theres usually no joy in their playing. Theres a word for this but not so easy to translate into english, its PAKKOPULLA.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Finns themselves play like Kazakhstan against top countries and often win. They just use a "middle turtle" tactic and do very well on big ice. Because you can't create a scoring chance from boards just stay at middle with all five players and you will be fine.

This is perfect example why wide ice is so bad and stupid idea. NHL would ruin themselves if they ever bring that ice surface. It's boring and it kills all the skill.

Reactions: Kuljeskelen

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Theres a word for this but not so easy to translate into english, its PAKKOPULLA.
The closest thing would be the idiom "going through the motions".

Literally translated, the expression means "forced bun", which... sounds rather suspect, to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad