Finland`s future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
I think people of Finland must be bit concerned about our hockey`s future. I mean golden generation (ft. Selänne,Koivu,Lehtinen and so on) is becoming quite old and new prospects aren`t superb caliber.

There is though players like T.Ruutu and Kari Lehtonen, but after all others aren`t such a great (at least this point).

Finland cannot match Canada, Russia or Czech in future. That is quite for sure...not even bittersweet rival Sweden.

Any thoughts?What u say?

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
I have to disagree. First of all, Finland is a superb goalie factor (Lehtonen, Toivonen, Niittymäki, Rask and so on). In defence Joni Pitkänen is one of the biggest prospects in the world and will be leading defenceman for finnish national team for the next 10-15 years. IMO there are many underrated forward prospects in Finland, Jussi Jokinen, Jarkko Immonen, Tommi Santala, Antti Miettinen, Jari Viuhkola for example. Last year in the draft 3 finns were picked in the first round (Tukonen, Nokelainen and Korpikoski). Call me a homer but i think our situation is best in years.

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
Jyssy said:
I have to disagree. First of all, Finland is a superb goalie factor (Lehtonen, Toivonen, Niittymäki, Rask and so on). In defence Joni Pitkänen is one of the biggest prospects in the world and will be leading defenceman for finnish national team for the next 10-15 years. IMO there are many underrated forward prospects in Finland, Jussi Jokinen, Jarkko Immonen, Tommi Santala, Antti Miettinen, Jari Viuhkola for example. Last year in the draft 3 finns were picked in the first round (Tukonen, Nokelainen and Korpikoski). Call me a homer but i think our situation is best in years.

I am from Finland too, but i`m realist. I just don`t believe that it will be easy to Finland get medals like it seemed to be 98-2000 especially World Championships. I really hope that they will achieve medals soon (maybe next winter games :yo: ).
I know that goalie-situation is promising, but sometimes the hype of good finnish goalies but me wonder if it true. Only Miikka Kiprusoff has proved to be great, meanwhile goalies like Norrena,Backström,Hurme have screwed up. But defenitely it is quite sure that Lehtonen is way better than those what i mention.

I know Nokelainen and Tukonen and yes they are good prospects. Jussi Jokinen might be new star, but are any of those that prospect-caliber what was Selanne in 90`s (or Kurri in 80`s).

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
The significance of our goalies is downplayed largely because goalies are so separate from the rest of the team. You can stick Kiprusoff between the pipes and the forwards will still look mediocre, but having a developed Pitkänen on the ice supports them - even more so in people's minds. Make no mistake, the system isn't overrated, it's accomplishing more than any position at any given time in Finnish history. A+ in every respect, led by the best prospect imaginable. The only setback is the first two real hopes, Noronen and Ahonen, underachieving.

In the defense, Pitkänen's value is now at an all-time high (bust probability dimished by progress but still as many years ahead as possible), as high as Finland can afford to hope once a generation. If Väänänen hasn't yet convinced someone that he's a legit first-pairing guy, he will very soon. Timonen, Lydman & Co still have some years left in them. The problem is, our prospect depth is actually poor, it looked downright horrible before this draft. Now we could hope for an expected value of one long NHL career out of Laakso and Lepistö and another one out of the rest (Korhonen, Mielonen, Leinonen, Korpikari...). Fortunately the national team will make do with only about two new decent defensemen for years to come.

In the offense we can see the main problem, which is fortunately the past: The '75-thru-82-born age groups were horrible. Out of the eight age groups, the forward to make the second best career will be one of Kallio, N Kapanen, Hagman, Miettinen or Rita, which is just weak. These guys are 22-30 years old and should be carrying the national team right now. Because of that, the fading of the '70-74-born stars coincides with the younger guys becoming useful. Until now the quality was stable instead of progressing, from now on it will be stable instead of regressing. In the next decade we can hope to improve again. The age groups past the superstars, from '85 on, aren't that impressive but at least they're something different from the players of the lost generation - who, ironically, made incredibly and optimally successful U18 teams.

Truth be told, T Ruutu, M Koivu, Bergenheim, Tukonen, Nokelainen etc. aren't very special either, they only offer a solid contribution. I'm placing my hopes on the likes of J Jokinen and Filppula (who are sadly the only players of that type) who may not be the greatest of prospects but who just ooze offense while still playing solid. From the scoring lines of the NHL or not, I feel they will be valuable to the national team.

It's only up to Russia and USA if we can challenge the two. Right now they're progressing the fastest of all and we can't possibly respond to that. Sweden isn't really up for a catastrophe but may still be likely to eventually fall below us than not. Slovakia isn't producing players in vast quantities, but some balance alone could help them a lot, and they're a force to be reckoned with. Sadly, just around the age of the Finnish superstar juniors it seemed that the Czechs could be challenged, but then the tables turned and players all the way to Frolík and beyond are taking them uncomfortably far.

There's not much more to help wrap it up, the situation up front sums things up the best. Of course the subject can inspire discussion down to very small detail.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Well you cant complain about the team they have right now. The Finns took Canada for a ride in the '04 World Cup. In the championship game it was 2-2 going into the third. You gus gave us a scare I'll admit. Ruutu, Pitkanen and Lethonen are going to be great players but you do lack depth. Finalnd is still probably behind the Czechs and Russia. And of course Canada. But for the up and comers I'd put you ahead of Sweden for sure. The Swedes havent developed jack in the last 10-12 years.

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
Well i`m sure that T.Ruutu&Lehtonen are superb class and Nokelainen&co would be also class, but after all depth is very little. And there is no promise that Nokelainen&co reach te level what they are expacting.

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
I will preface my comments by telling you I'm a Canadian of Finnish descent - so I want the Finns to have a strong team.

I went to the pre-tournament games for the 2005 World Juniors and saw Finland play Canada and the Swiss. The young Finns were not impressive. Against the Canadians, it was men vs. boys. They were completely dominated (mind you, that was probably the best Canadian junior team ever). Against the Swiss, a team the Finns should have stomped mercilessly, they looked uninterested. The Finns really only started playing in the 3rd period of that game (then again, maybe they were jet lagged).

If last year's Finnish world junior team is any reflection on the state of hockey in Finland, it looks pretty ordinary to me.

SamiK

May 22, 2005
Finland
it takes more than 3 to build a team

We have Ruutu, Lehtonen and Pitkänen, 3 excellent young players. Salami, Saku and Jere could still play a couple of good seasons if we're lucky and they don't get any more injuries. Ok defence, nothing fancy. No great young prospects other than those 3 coming up...I'm very worried about the future of Team Finland. Can't see any medals coming this way in the next 5 or so years.

Tiina

Nov 8, 2004
The future is so bright I got to wear shades.
G young and (almost)ready
Mika Noronen 79
Antero Niittymäki 80
Ari Ahonen 81
Kari Lehtonen 83
Hannu Toivonen 84
I`m sure I forgot many!

Last edited:

Tiina

Nov 8, 2004
Centers young and(almost)ready.
Tommi Santala 79
Riku Hahl 80
Jari Viuhkola 80
Jarkko Immonen 82
Mikko Koivu 83
Valtteri Filppula 84
Petri Kontiola 84

Tiina

Nov 8, 2004
Wingers
Toni Dahlman 79
Niklas Hagman 79
Eero Somervuori 79
Antti Miettinen 80
Tomek Valtonen 80
Tony Salmelainen 81
Jani Rita 81
Tuomas Pihlman 82
Teemu Laine 82
Jussi Jokinen 83
Tuomo Ruutu 83
Sean Bergenheim 84
I must admit that the defense is a little moore difficult!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad