WC: Finland Roster 2024 U18 World Championship

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He can hardly claim to have come up with it. Long before Maccelli arrived on the scene, we used to say the same about Raimo Helminen.
It's a hockey classic.I have said on these boards about both Thornton and Forsberg

And I don't see that Lammikko would be much of an upgrade over anybody we already have. His offensive capabilities are famously limited, and while he would be a solid piece to the bottom-six, we already have Björninen and Hyry to act as 3C/4C and enough wingers for those roles too. At best, Lammikko provides more depth.
Lammikko isn't a bad pieca to have on the roster. Plays quite alright as a winger as well.

Reactions: Mestaruus

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Updated predictions before the U18 worlds draws my main focus.

Innala - Granlund (C) - Puljujärvi
Oksanen - Suomela - Nurmi
Luoto - Hyry - Pajuniemi
Mäenalanen - Björninen (A) - Pakarinen
Jääskä, Kapanen/Helenius

Määttä (A) - Kaski
Rissanen - Rindell
Leskinen - Vittasmäki
Riikola - Winberg

Säteri
Larmi
Lehtinen

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Innala - Granlund (C) - Puljujärvi
I can already see MiG dishing those godly passes and they all end up either two meters wide or straight into the goalie's crest.

...and, despite what I just said, this is an entirely plausible line.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Roster size is 23 so the last cut from 24 was Benjamin Pietilä. Also confirms Miettinen not coming

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
I don't have much hope for Macelli or anyone else at this point from NHL who are already out.

Usually this lengthy delay in announcing is the long no. I do wish they would come out and announce it like Armia and Haula. He must know the fans are waiting on his decision.

I'm hoping to be very surprised but I very much doubt it.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I can already see MiG dishing those godly passes and they all end up either two meters wide or straight into the goalie's crest.

Try to bring in and force Turunen to score goals in the national team

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
At the moment no player who played for Coyotes at the end of the season has been confirmed to go to Worlds.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
At the moment no player who played for Coyotes at the end of the season has been confirmed to go to Worlds.
I guess they are all caught up with the move to Utah. Seems like the players are there doing promos, so maybe the team doesn't want to release them

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Very excited even if I don't see this roster with this coach being a final contender by any means.

Things that still makes this tournament very exiting:
Kiviharju, is he even in good shape? Lot of fans and scouts here take it for granted. There are other good D's in this tournament and I have a hard time seeing him dominate when he's been injured for so long. But, of course I hope for the best.
Veeti Väisänen, has never impressed me at international level. He's the one I doubt the most amongst our top prospects. Haven't seen him excel at anything against his peers. So let's hope he proves me wrong good time.
Hemming, not necessarily a bad season but I really hope he can get his breakout in this tournament showing he's a heavy, competitive sniper that can produce. I think his tournament can affect his draft status more than others. From being a late second rounder to a top 15 pick.
Helenius, of course the most exciting prospect for us (and for me together with Benak, Radivojevic and Murnieks in this whole tournament. The latter because of his age and Radivo if he even joins the Slovakian roster).
But let's not forget that the pressure on Konsta is huge after his season and achievements and being a contender for the mens roster as well. Even if we are sure on his talent, it feels like he needs to be 2PPG or more to fulfill the expectations that Finnish fans seem to have. Easier said than done. Especially when the Finnish roster is offensively pretty thin imo.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Upgrade one of them with Hintz. If we are putting them on the same unit one of Hintz or Granny goes to wing or we only use them on the same PP unit. Then add Lindell & Heiskanen and I guess it's needless to say that it would be a totally different team compared to what we got now.

Other than Dallas going out, it's not looking that promising. Maybe we get Saros, who rarely comes when there's an opportunity, but maybe after a break from the NT it's time for Saros to do an exception.

Reactions: mattihp

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Suomen kentälliset:

Maalilla:
1 Petteri Rimpinen

Varalla:
30 Kim Saarinen

1:
28 Lauri Sinivuori – 19 Konsta Helenius – 32 Emil Hemming
12 Aron Kiviharju – 10 Veeti Väisänen

2:
33 Tuomas Suoniemi – 27 Aatos Koivu – 24 Joona Saarelainen
15 Niklas Nykyri – 4 Mitja Jokinen

3:
37 Markus Loponen – 23 Ville Väärälä – 29 Kasper Pikkarainen
2 Onni Amhamdi – 3 Daniel Nieminen

4:
21 Natan Teshome – 22 Anton Kettunen – 34 Roope Vesterinen
7 Veikka Mononen

13. hyökkääjä:
36 Heikki Ruohonen

Seeing this, I don't see a final contender, especially not a gold contender. First formation does have four interesting players and I'm curious about Suoniemi together with Koivu and Saarelainen. Also the goaltenders should be decent or more.
But yeah, the depth just isn't there at all. Not on paper and not the most known coach.

How good do you think Kerkola is? Do you think he could be a first rounder next year?
How would he become a first rounder if he's not even considered as top2 in this years roster? Do you think it's realistic?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Upgrade one of them with Hintz. If we are putting them on the same unit one of Hintz or Granny goes to wing or we only use them on the same PP unit. Then add Lindell & Heiskanen and I guess it's needless to say that it would be a totally different team compared to what we got now.
Mhm. Although even without Hintz I'm wondering if we shouldn't place Granny on wing, assuming Suomela joins. 1st could be Granlund-Suomela-X, then Kapanen as 2C, Hyry/Lammikko as 3C and Bjöönis in his usual spot.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
How good do you think Kerkola is? Do you think he could be a first rounder next year?
Calm composed steady consistant performer. Its rare for underage goalie to get Liiga games but havent seen many gamebreaking qualities. Kerkola and Sammalniemi are the 2 finnish goalies with draft potential next season. I think 3rd round onwards realistic expectation for Kerkola now don't see first round potential. Gotto see next season to get final assesment. Kalpa is doing fine job with goalies Juha Jatkola got drafted last year too.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
I have to agree with @FiLe on this one. If Hintz comes I would have moved Granlund to RW. Cause as the squad right now is "so-so" as to goalscorers the Center-spots is not a problem.

Hintz
Granlund
Suomela
Kapanen
Lammikko
Hyry
Björninen

Moving Granlund and Hyry to the sides, and still you have Lammikko as a reserve if Kapanen comes.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I have to agree with @FiLe on this one. If Hintz comes I would have moved Granlund to RW. Cause as the squad right now is "so-so" as to goalscorers the Center-spots is not a problem.

Hintz
Granlund
Suomela
Kapanen
Lammikko
Hyry
Björninen

Moving Granlund and Hyry to the sides, and still you have Lammikko as a reserve if Kapanen comes.
I really prefer Hyry on the wing. A really annoying player to play against

Reactions: Playmaker82

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Just so we're clear, the Kapanen we're talking about is not Kasperi, who's not a center to begin with, but his cousin Oliver. And he's already with the team.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Haha, I was actually thinking of Konsta Helenius when I said Kapanen in the end sentence. Oliver is there already, yes.

Kasperi is without a contract I think. With Hintz there is a overload of C 😂

Reactions: mattihp

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
FWIW, I don't think they'll recall Helenius. Now, he didn't look half bad against Latvia's B-team, but I'd hardly call it a call to fame. He will be needed even less if they add even one of Suomela/Lammikko. Right now, the centre foursome is Granlund-Kapanen-Hyry-Björninen, and if no one is added, then they need to have a spare around, which is either Helenius or someone else from the present camp roster. But even one more from the outside and there will be little need for the wunderkind.

The fact that Jalonen just cut Marjala further implies that he's looking to add a C. It could mean he wants Helenius back, but I'm thinking it more hints at Suomela, Lammikko, or both.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The fact that Jalonen just cut Marjala further implies that he's looking to add a C. It could mean he wants Helenius back, but I'm thinking it more hints at Suomela, Lammikko, or both.
what does the roster look like right now?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
what does the roster look like right now?

Here's the EHT group Jalonen just announced:

Emil Larmi, Växjö Lakers
Lassi Lehtinen, MoDo Hockey
Harri Säteri, EHC Biel

Oliwer Kaski, HV71
Atro Leppänen, Sport
Aleksi Matinmikko, Ässät
Jesper Mattila, KalPa
Olli Määttä, Detroit Red Wings
Juuso Riikola, SCL Tigers
Axel Rindell, Timrå IK
Rasmus Rissanen, Örebro HK
Vili Saarijärvi, SCL Tigers
Tobias Winberg, JYP

Hannes Björninen, Örebro HK
Arttu Hyry, Kärpät
Jere Innala, Frölunda HC
Pekka Jormakka, Jukurit
Juha Jääskä, HIFK
Oliver Kapanen, KalPa
Joona Luoto, SC Bern
Julius Mattila, Lukko
Saku Mäenalanen, SCL Tigers
Markus Nurmi, TPS
Ahti Oksanen, IK Oskarshamn
Iiro Pakarinen, HIFK
Lauri Pajuniemi, Malmö Redhawks
Patrik Puistola, Jukurit
Jesse Puljujärvi, Pittsburgh Penguins
Eemeli Suomi, Ilves

Mikael Granlund will join the final WC team.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Here's the EHT group Jalonen just announced:

Emil Larmi, Växjö Lakers
Lassi Lehtinen, MoDo Hockey
Harri Säteri, EHC Biel

Oliwer Kaski, HV71
Atro Leppänen, Sport
Aleksi Matinmikko, Ässät
Jesper Mattila, KalPa
Olli Määttä, Detroit Red Wings
Juuso Riikola, SCL Tigers
Axel Rindell, Timrå IK
Rasmus Rissanen, Örebro HK
Vili Saarijärvi, SCL Tigers
Tobias Winberg, JYP

Hannes Björninen, Örebro HK
Arttu Hyry, Kärpät
Jere Innala, Frölunda HC
Pekka Jormakka, Jukurit
Juha Jääskä, HIFK
Oliver Kapanen, KalPa
Joona Luoto, SC Bern
Julius Mattila, Lukko
Saku Mäenalanen, SCL Tigers
Markus Nurmi, TPS
Ahti Oksanen, IK Oskarshamn
Iiro Pakarinen, HIFK
Lauri Pajuniemi, Malmö Redhawks
Patrik Puistola, Jukurit
Jesse Puljujärvi, Pittsburgh Penguins
Eemeli Suomi, Ilves

Mikael Granlund will join the final WC team.
Alright thanks. In SHL finals there is Valtteri Viljanen. In NLA finals there is Haapala, Lammiko, Salomäki, Lehtonen and Soumela. In Liiga finals there is Levtchi, Leskinen, Vittasmäki, Kemiläinen, Heljanko, Juolevi. Some names for Jalonen to consider.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How would he become a first rounder if he's not even considered as top2 in this years roster? Do you think it's realistic?
He’s the only 2007 born player to make the roster. Are you telling me Finland has no 2007 born players with first round potential?

• Haha
Reactions: Svedu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad