WC: Finland Roster 2024 U18 World Championship

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Does Finland even have a better roster than Slovakia in this tournament? Not speaking of Helenius and Hemming and perhaps Kiviharju. But depth wise? I´m not sure about that. Looks pretty meh.
I wouldn't consider Finland as a medal favorite. Like others mentioned, they need good goaltending and a productive PP with their stars performing.

Compared to the US in our group and then Slovakias decent depth: Chovan, Nemec, Svrcek,Straka, Pobezal, Kupec, Haronik.
Thanks for the laugh. And you left out Radivojevic

Reactions: Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Thanks for the laugh. And you left out Radivojevic
Forgot him. Also, just because you don't have the monster generation like before doesn't mean you will be weak now.
Dvorsky, Nemec, Slaf etc will become your nations top6 and top4 amongst the mens national team. It's rare to see and in fact, can only remember it has happened once and it's actually Finlands 96-98 born players. With Barkov being 95 and Heiskanen and UPL born 99.

Laugh? Have you even seen Finlands roster? Most of them aren't even impressive in the u-20sm.

Last edited:

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Forgot him. Also, just because you don't have the monster generation like before doesn't mean you will be weak now.
Dvorsky, Nemec, Slaf etc will become your nations top6 and top4 amongst the mens national team. It's rare to see and in fact, can only remember it has happened once and it's actually Finlands 96-98 born players. With Barkov being 95 and Heiskanen and UPL born 99.

Laugh? Have you even seen Finlands roster? Most of them aren't even impressive in the u-20sm.
This is not a slovak team that you should be scared of. Although I agree that they might turn out a bit better than expected.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Slovakia left out one of their best players. They won’t win that way I don’t think.

If Finland isn’t better, they’ve massively underachieved.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It was only a Määttä of time!

Link:

He always plays well in the national team, so that's great news. Granny takes the (C) and Määttä (A) it looks like.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
When did the hockey federation abandon finhockey.fi, btw?
Well, they haven't abandoned it per se. They just nowadays use the domain for information pertaining to the organization itself, while leijonat.fi became the site for all NT news (and not just for the men's team, but all age groups and women) a few years ago.

---

Määttä is a good add. Now, we could use some quality wingers. Granlund looks a bit lonely on that first line as it is. We're all waiting on Maccelli, but the issue with him is that he's more of a playmaking winger than a finisher - so we'd still be short of someone who can bury MiG's godly passes. Of course, it's always possible that someone from the present roster steps up, but having a known performer over an unknown one is always preferable. And I don't know if I wanna count on Pulju suddenly regaining the Bison King mode.

One possible solution could be the Avs not finding anything that even remotely resembles a goalie.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Well, they haven't abandoned it per se. They just nowadays use the domain for information pertaining to the organization itself, while leijonat.fi became the site for all NT news (and not just for the men's team, but all age groups and women) a few years ago.
[/QUOTE]
So it's still legit? It looks like a phishing page..
We're all waiting on Maccelli, but the issue with him is that he's more of a playmaking winger than a finisher -
The understatement of the century :D guy would look for someone to pass on a shootout attempt.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Very legit for everyone involved in FIHA's day-to-day operations. Of course, that kind of information is not-so-relevant to an overwhelming majority of those interested in if Olli Määttä will join the team or not, so they probably don't care about the impression the UI gives.

Reactions: mattihp

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Very few declines too, are some still thinking about it or has JJ said no to some of the guys who want to come?

They haven't said anything but you can reason that players who don't have a contract are not coming and that rules out a lot of players. Maccelli and Korpisalo are the only currently available players who we have not heard from.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
They haven't said anything but you can reason that players who don't have a contract are not coming and that rules out a lot of players. Maccelli and Korpisalo are the only currently available players who we have not heard from.
Korpisalo could be gassed. He's never played as many games.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Korpisalo could be gassed. He's never played as many games.
Also, when you look at his stats from this year, you can rightfully question whether he would even be an upgrade over Larmi/Säteri. It could be that the management simply passed on him. I personally think he's a decent goalie, but he's obviously not in the same elite class as, say, Saros is.

Basically, the only remaining name were waiting on right now is Maccelli. After we hear from him, we'll see where the chips have fallen after the first round ends. Dallas-Vegas and Colorado-Winnipeg are the two series to watch in this regard.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'd take Lammikko from Swiss league finals and of course Lehtonen.

What happened witth Manninen (+Harty)? I'm guessing he's not coming since his team got eliminated ages ago. That would've given Granny some targets to share some saucers with (more politically correct term would be to share some Granny Smith apples).

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'd take Lammikko from Swiss league finals and of course Lehtonen.
I wouldn't say no to Suomela either. In the present situation, he would be our 2C. Although, we don't desperately need him if Kapanen can step into the role.

And I don't see that Lammikko would be much of an upgrade over anybody we already have. His offensive capabilities are famously limited, and while he would be a solid piece to the bottom-six, we already have Björninen and Hyry to act as 3C/4C and enough wingers for those roles too. At best, Lammikko provides more depth.

Lehtonen will, of course, just walk into this team.

What happened witth Manninen (+Harty)? I'm guessing he's not coming since his team got eliminated ages ago.
Lehtinen confirmed ages ago that none of Geneva's Finns will feature this year.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

The understatement of the century :D guy would look for someone to pass on a shootout attempt.
[/QUOTE]

Stealing that line. With your permission of course.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Our centers actually look pretty solid but other than Innala which winger is supposed to score?
Yeah, this is definitely the department where we have the most question marks right now. I wouldn't call even Innala a proven performer. Apart from him, I see Pajuniemi, Puistola and Nurmi as best matches for those roles. And as a wild card, I guess we shouldn't forget about Pulju.

Of course, sometimes the most surprising results come from those who in no way fit the "type". If you'd told me in 2018 that Mörkö-freakin'-Anttila will be our most important clutch scorer over the next five years, I'd have asked for a puff of whatever you're smoking.

Stealing that line. With your permission of course.
He can hardly claim to have come up with it. Long before Maccelli arrived on the scene, we used to say the same about Raimo Helminen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad