Finals seeding

jpc7734

Sep 26, 2012
East Avenue
Hey does anyone know how home ice is determined in the final? I know Google is my friend but not finding it anywhere. Heard it could be either seeding then points as tie breaker or just points anyone know for sure?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm pretty sure if Owen Sound defeats Erie, Peterborough or Mississauga would have home ice because they are division winners.

If Erie wins, they'll have home ice as the top team in the league.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
This has never happened before in the history of the 20-team OHL, and as far as I can see, the OHL has never made a public statement about what would happen if it did. The closest is this: "Teams are re-seeded within their conference after each round and the division winners are always ranked 1-2 within the conference as long as they progress."

This manages to both imply that teams aren't re-seeded for the final and that division winners aren't necessarily ranked 1-2 outside their conference. So as far as I can see, it's anyone's guess.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
I suspect EON is correct. In last year's OHL final, 3rd seed West London had home ice advantage over 4th seed East Niagara.

Tyler8525

May 16, 2011
Yes but London also had more points... In this season the lower seed has more points than the higher seed

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I suspect EON is correct. In last year's OHL final, 3rd seed West London had home ice advantage over 4th seed East Niagara.

Doesn't apply. Last year, London had 105 pts to Niagara's 77 and were also the higher seed. Neither won their division.

jpc7734

Sep 26, 2012
East Avenue
I'm pretty sure if Owen Sound defeats Erie, Peterborough or Mississauga would have home ice because they are division winners.

If Erie wins, they'll have home ice as the top team in the league.

Got exactly what I was asking, hoping for a 2011 rematch here.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Mississauga was the 2 seed in the east, Owen Sound was the 3 seed in the west, points don't matter, Mississauga would have home ice, as would Peterborough if the Attack win the west.

Only time points matter is if both teams in the final were the same seed, for example when Barrie and Windsor met in the 2010 finals they each were the number 1 seed in their respective conferences, Barrie had more points so they had home ice.

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
We don't need to worry about home ice in the final. We need to worry about the series we are in and get by Erie. Worry about the next series once we have made it that far. This series is far from over tonight's game is huge

jpc7734

Sep 26, 2012
East Avenue
Thanks battfan that's how I figured it was done but was curious. Being a missy fan up 3-0 looking ahead a bit, know we shouldn't but couldn't help it.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Mississauga was the 2 seed in the east, Owen Sound was the 3 seed in the west, points don't matter, Mississauga would have home ice, as would Peterborough if the Attack win the west.

Only time points matter is if both teams in the final were the same seed, for example when Barrie and Windsor met in the 2010 finals they each were the number 1 seed in their respective conferences, Barrie had more points so they had home ice.

What's your source on this? I couldn't find anything online!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm surprised there isn't anything spelled out under the OHL's playoff format. Is it possible that there is nothing spelled out and if OS advances, then they and the east finalist both expect to be the home team? OS based on points. East winner based on division win?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Schedule is officially out:

Owen Sound does in fact get home ice over Mississauga. Very interesting.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
This is a pleasant surprise. No disrespect to the Steelheads--who will probably be a slight underdog in the finals but can absolutely beat either of these teams--but the regular season results need to mean something.

They've already enjoyed an easy finals path and a few extra days' rest, so I can't imagine they're complaining!

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls

This is not true, the team with the most points gets home ice in the finals, regardless of what seed they were in their own conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad