Final Team Canada Roster Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
I wouldn't worry so much about the team fellas, they'll be fine. Have we forgotten that Fleury is our goaltender?? Canadians are proud players, they will never go down without a fight, and i truly believe that if they come to play, every game, we have as good a shot as anyone in the tournament. Don't sell them short, remember it's Canada we're talking about. :bow: By the way has anyone gotten tickets for the World Championship games at the Bell Centre VS USA and Czech Republic, i hear you haver to buy oth games in a packaged deal? A buddy of mine got some tickets for both games, I'm just hoping they didn't sell out. Would love to see our superstars play in Montreal!

Pedrostallion

Feb 28, 2002
Cranbrook, BC
Visit site
Dawes

On previous threads not one person that posted picked Dawes to make this team. You saw what he can bring over the last 2 televised games, offensive chances seem to follow the little guy everywhere. Some may be a bit busy eating their crow to respond but what do you think of him now? I see him on the top two lines with two bigger guys - seemed to have pretty good chemistry with Stewart and Richards.

For fun....(and i may be out to lunch) my lines are:

Getzlaf Carter Burns
Stewart Richards Dawes
Tambellini Crosby Brent
Colliton Paille Talbot

Dixon

Phaneuf Meech
Coburn Seabrook
Gorges Belle

Klein

Fleury
Harding

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
All Star United said:
How do you think the line combos will end up?
Getzlaf-Carter-Burns
Paille-Crosby-Tambellini
Stewert-Richards-Brent
Dawes-Talbot-Colliton

The only place on this lineup that I could see Brodziak making it is in Collitons spot. But there really is no way that he can take a spot of any of the left wings and I think that is where he played in the games vs the OuHA.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Dawes played extremely well. I thought he had a chance to make it but would get cut. However, he deserves to be on the team. He played great both games. Here are my lines

Dawes Carter Stewart
Getzlaf Richards Burns
Paille Talbot Brent
Dixon Crosby Tambellini
Colliton

Colliton is the perfect guy to be the 13th forward he can play any position and he's a great pentaly killer.

My defence

Phaneuf Klein
Coburn Belle
Meech Seabrook
Gorges
There are six defencemen from the WHL and that is a record. The previous record was five.

Goalies
Fleury
Harding

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
You guys are also forgetting that too many offensive weapons is not going to help out on defense. Guys like Talbot, Brent, Dixon, Colliton will probably be our 2-way, defensive guys. Perry is a good player, but to me, from what I saw, seemed very easy to knock off the puck. Though I would have liked him to have made the team, along with Fehr, but the team needs to be balanced, and right now it looks like a solid squad.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The lines i keep hearing are:

Stewart/Richards/Dawes
Getzlaf/Carter/Burns
Paille/Talbot/Brent
Dixon/Crosby/Tambellini
Colliton

Meech/Phaneuf
Coburn/Seabrook
Belle/Klein
Gorges

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
*sigh*

Every year this team is named, and every year people on these boards whine and complain about politics, not enough talent, they should have taken this player over that player...blah blah blah. And every year...the team does just fine. The reality of a single elimination tournament is that any of six teams can win it, and a huge component of it is based on synnergy, streakiness, and good fortune.

This is a very strong team. We have the best goaltender in the tournament, and I don't believe there can be an argument about that. Fleury has been facing the BEST players in the world, while everyone else has been facing kids or guys not good enough to make the NHL.

Our defence, as usual, will be very good. Every body keeps talking about Phaneuf being the anchor of this blueline, and it seems like we're all forgetting about Coburn, who was the best d-man available in this past draft to me, and someone who I feel sees the ice better than Phaneuf, which will be a big help on the ice surface.

Our forwards are not a bunch of guys with stone hands. Most of these guys are very capable of burying the puck into the back of the net. We do have some amazingly skilled players, and our forwards are very strong players. I can't imagine ANY defenceman is going to be able to do much about a monster like Anthony Stewart, for instance. Personally i think Stewart will play a massive role for us. He's a ridiculously strong guy built like a tank, who is very mobile, and I think that he could be the ultimate shut down man against Ovechkin, but that's just me.

Nigel Dawes is a nice player to find that not many know about. He has some wicked moves, and is extremely confident with the puck. He's willing to try something new, and can make defenders look foolish. He's small, but fast, and should excel on the ice surface.

Harding, Ward, or JDD....who cares? They're never going to see the ice.

I don't know, it just seems to me that many people are counting this team out before the tournament even begins. There are other good teams in the tournament for sure, but I'm not certain there is a team that has been selected with roles so much in mind.

That's just my two cents.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
flamesfan01800 said:
here here. i think perry should of made it over one of these guys.

Thing is with Talbot you have a guy who is good at bringing a team together outside the rink, he likes to crack jokes, does funny things, is a great on ice leader, great leader in the dressing room, makes tough situation a little easier on the guys, he is a very very valuble asset. Also Stephen Dixon is very underrated by most, I though he would go in the 2nd to 3rd round last year, he will prove his worth to everyone.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just a few points I would like to add for discussion..

What ends up surprising me a little each year is that everyone will agree that this is mainly a tourney where 19 year olds could/should make the biggest impact and the few younger players, are either exceptional and are brought along for the experience..

This year Team Canada has numerous 18 year olds, rather than following last years trend of mainly 19 year olds.. and they cut some pretty fine players like Staal and Horton to make that point last year and we all know the ending...Other than last tourney being in Canada, where the selection comittee felt they need a strong team, ...

Why the Philosophy change this year??
and
How can a player be good enough to play in the NHL at 18/19 and not be good enough to be the best among piers his own age for a Junior Tourney???

and on that same wave length ...This is the best under 20 kids from each country and does not have anything to do with how they project as prospects for the NHL, other than the exception I gave above where they actually are...Case in point ..Like this year Corey Perry and Jeremy Williams ... both these kids are leading the OHL and WHL in scoring...proving they are the best at the junior level than their piers at the same age range.. That holds true last year as well in regards to Corey Locke and Matt Foy....

Then why are these players not also good enough to compete against 19 & 18 year olds from other countries, particularly if Canada is considered a Strong Hockey Nation????

Third in a short tourney ...it may be all about CHEMISTRY and FAMILIARITY.... and what better example could you use than Locke and Foy last year as a pair you would take straight from their Junior team to the Tourney...Similar again this year lets say with Tyler Redenbach and Jeremy Williams who are 1 & 2 in the WHL and team mates.. on top of that ...the selection committee had a chance to view them against the Russians in the ReMAX Challenge and combined with Getzlaf was one of the strongest/dominant lines in that tourney as far as the WHL goes..You could use similar Chemistry arguments from the other two leagues as well....

So if Chemistry is so important ...why exclude the obvious ones???

I would interested to hear your responses..

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
That's a really interesting question that you raise, Messenger, and I'm not really certain I have an answer.

Perhaps they were looking for styes that traditionally fit together? Or the players they were after were to be selected to play a certain role? I'm really not certain. It definitely is an interesting point.

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Similar again this year lets say with Tyler Redenbach and Jeremy Williams who are 1 & 2 in the WHL and team mates.. on top of that ...the selection committee had a chance to view them against the Russians in the ReMAX Challenge and combined with Getzlaf was one of the strongest/dominant lines in that tourney as far as the WHL goes..You could use similar Chemistry arguments from the other two leagues as well....

Yep that's fair. One comment on that though. Kyle Brodziak was leading the WHL in scoring before he left for the WJ tryouts. It is weird that even though the WHL sent 10 players to the tournament. The top 3 scorers in the league don't get to go.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
elphy101 said:
Yep that's fair. One comment on that though. Kyle Brodziak was leading the WHL in scoring before he left for the WJ tryouts. It is weird that even though the WHL sent 10 players to the tournament. The top 3 scorers in the league don't get to go.

It was actually Tomas Fleischmann that was leading the league at the time the Selection camp was named and Williams and Brodziak.. right behind..

but if you look at the WHL as of today..

http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&id=0&leagueId=26

The only Team Canada representative is # 20 Nigel Dawes..and other than a few NON North Americans in the list ... Look at all the scorers many of which did not even get a after thought never mind an invite..

And little 5'8" Dawes is very fortunate because with the committee so fosused on size that the little guy must have snuck under the raider in this one.. other wise vitually the entire WHL would have been ignored at FORWARDS as we all know all about the 1st round drafted Dman that made team Canada for the Dub, and rightfully so..

That is what My point was ...in the previous post... Wouldn't the top players in each CHL league get the strongest consideration to represent Canada as a whole in a tourney where they prove day in and day out that they can compete and produce regardless of Height, Weight, skating etc???..

Each player must have something going for them that allows them to be successful at this level...and my point isn't about a certain CHL league in particular just the point as a whole..

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
leafssuck said:
The thing is the CHL and WJHC are different levels of skill. You go from playing the best players in your age group from a few provinces and the odd out of country player to the best players from around the world.

Poor skating and lazy defensive play might not be a major problem in a Hull vs. Halifax game, but it is all to important on the big ice against quick Europeans. Top scorer doesn't always mean top player.

Point taken ...but you can't paint entire groups of players with the same brush... that might be true for a few here and there..

Then explain the Staal , Horton cuts from last year ....again not good enough to represent Canada but can play regularly in the NHL?? Poor skating and lazy defensive play could not have been there reason...

Vranattack

I love the moaning becasue Dixon made it. The guy is fast which the team needs.

Dixon - Crosby - Tambellini

Pedrostallion

Feb 28, 2002
Cranbrook, BC
Visit site
Johnny said:
That is not true, dont like to toot my own horn or anything but I had him making my team on a thread started a couple months ago. http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=19730

Sorry Johnny - didn't remember you doing that.....let me replace "not one person" with "the vast majority of people" to be more accurate.

Still, good to see the little guy proving people wrong.

PEli*

Voodoo Daddy said:
and Brodziak with an ever better performance at camp.

But hey, Durochers has his two QMJHL players in Talbot & Dixon instead of them. Great :shakehead

Biased, much? Talbot is the best captain in the Q, has a good amount of talent and had a solid camp. Dixon had a great camp too. I'm sure you know more about coaching than Durochers but give the guy the benefit of the doubt this time, eh? When you coach next year, you can pick the team.

Don't take credit from two guys that had great camps because one of your favorite players didn't make the team. Making Canada's WJC team is a tough thing to do. If any of my favorite CHLers were at camp alone, I'd be happy.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Pedrostallion said:
Sorry Johnny - didn't remember you doing that.....let me replace "not one person" with "the vast majority of people" to be more accurate.

Still, good to see the little guy proving people wrong.

No need to apologize, and could not agree more that it is nice to see him prove people wrong, hopefully he continues to do so.

Last edited:

Sticky*

Pedrostallion said:
On previous threads not one person that posted picked Dawes to make this team. You saw what he can bring over the last 2 televised games, offensive chances seem to follow the little guy everywhere. Some may be a bit busy eating their crow to respond but what do you think of him now? I see him on the top two lines with two bigger guys - seemed to have pretty good chemistry with Stewart and Richards.

For fun....(and i may be out to lunch) my lines are:

Getzlaf Carter Burns
Stewart Richards Dawes
Tambellini Crosby Brent
Colliton Paille Talbot

Dixon

Phaneuf Meech
Coburn Seabrook
Gorges Belle

Klein

Fleury
Harding

I don't know if you are a 'dub fan, and are a homer, but I can promise you that Klein will not be the 7th D. HE is much better than Meech or Gorges.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Doomsday Device said:
While people are complaining about the lack of talent, this year's team has 12 already drafted first rounders (top 30 picks), the second most of any Canadian world junior team in history. Only the 1995 team, which got NHL players who were locked out, had more first rounders. So I think this talk of lack of talent isn't exactly true.

and nearly half of the 12 are Dmen and goaltenders..

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
PEli said:
Biased, much? Talbot is the best captain in the Q, has a good amount of talent and had a solid camp. Dixon had a great camp too. I'm sure you know more about coaching than Durochers but give the guy the benefit of the doubt this time, eh? When you coach next year, you can pick the team.

Don't take credit from two guys that had great camps because one of your favorite players didn't make the team. Making Canada's WJC team is a tough thing to do. If any of my favorite CHLers were at camp alone, I'd be happy.

Let's not throw around accusations of bias when you're defending two players from the Q, Please.

Durochers is familiar with guys like Dixon and Talbot because they play in the Q, that much is fairly obvious. Brodziak is a player who has received very little exposure and probably was one of the lesser known players at camp, and he suffered because of it despite a performance that was worthy of making the team ahead of several players (including the two i targeted). I think it was a poor decision made based on familiarity, and I did not say it was a conspiracy to select Q players, it was simply a poor decision. I'll live with it, I don't have to agree with it. Fair enough?

Pedrostallion

Feb 28, 2002
Cranbrook, BC
Visit site
Sticky said:
I don't know if you are a 'dub fan, and are a homer, but I can promise you that Klein will not be the 7th D. HE is much better than Meech or Gorges.

And I don't know if you actually read my post...... "for fun (and I may be out to lunch here)"

Evidently in your mind I'm out to lunch - that's cool with me. I didn't put too much thought into it really, more just jotted names down...for fun.

You must do well with air miles getting to be so familiar with Meech (Red Deer), Gorges (Kelowna) and Klein (Guelph) to say who is the best of the three. As for myself, it's hard for me to say that Klein is that much better than Meech or Gorges because I never have seen him play. From what I understand he brings a different type of game than the other two. If team Canada wants to have Klein in the line up more than one of the other guys then so be it. By the way, am a dub fan but I really could care less who does the job as long as it's done right and to the best of one's ability.

AEKaki

Voodoo Daddy said:
and Brodziak with an ever better performance at camp.

But hey, Durochers has his two QMJHL players in Talbot & Dixon instead of them. Great :shakehead

are you on crack?
Talbot was VERY impressive at camp.
Dixon outplayed Perry as well.
I'm sorry if you think that Perry is god, but they did deserve it more then him. Some others didn't deserve it more then Perry though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->