Final Russian roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I think the Russians may not have as many complete two-way guys as Canada but that doesn't mean they are one-dimensional by any means. In fact, when I've seen Russia league games I find them to be a little TOO defensive-minded. Also, the reason a player like Gamilov was selected over a "sexy" player like Glazachev is precisely because he's a better two-way guy (and hence less well-known in N. America- cuz we gushover the flashy Russian guys and assume that no other type exists.

I think it's based on a sterotype similar to the one echoed earlier- that Canadian players are inferior skaters or can't handle tempo. Boy, has THAT changed (kind of like the post WW2 norion that Japan produced only crappy products).

Both hockey stereotypes are at least 10-20 years out of date.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
steblick said:
I think the Russians may not have as many complete two-way guys as Canada but that doesn't mean they are one-dimensional by any means. In fact, when I've seen Russia league games I find them to be a little TOO defensive-minded. Also, the reason a player like Gamilov was selected over a "sexy" player like Glazachev is precisely because he's a better two-way guy (and hence less well-known in N. America- cuz we gushover the flashy Russian guys and assume that no other type exists.

I think it's based on a sterotype similar to the one echoed earlier- that Canadian players are inferior skaters or can't handle tempo. Boy, has THAT changed (kind of like the post WW2 norion that Japan produced only crappy products).

Both hockey stereotypes are at least 10-20 years out of date.
No, its based on their roster this year. I won't comment anymore untill I see them play in the tournament.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Their physical within their own age class in russia. That doesn't make them physical. A player like Khomutov is physical and defensive aware in the CHL but in the AHL he is a liability.

Don't most of the russian WJC team members play in the Superleague, which has many NHL regulars this year? Either way, it is *not* their age group for sure. In a way, you are making a point against yourself with Khomutov, since Superleague is considered the best league outside NHL (which would place it above AHL level btw).

Lalonde

Aug 20, 2004
My prediction-

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. USA

I like this Russian Team ,but the presence of such stars as Oveckin, Malkin doesn't mean guaranteed gold yet , because hockey is a command game, not individual.
Russian team definitely looks better than it did last year, but I 'm not sure, whether it's enough to beat the Canadians, because Canada has the strongest and the most powerful team since 1997 .

Reilly311

JasonMacIsaac said:
I feel Canada is leaps and bounds ahead of compititon for 87. Sure USA has Fritsche, Kessel and Johnsson but Canada has the likes of Crosby, Brule, Bertram, Bourret, O'Marra ect. Russia is extremely weak with their 87 crew. You would probably know better then me but I think I heard that Russia may not have anyone in the first round during that draft year.

I like how you name 3 players from the US that you know, then go on to name all these stars in the CHL (btw, you can have O'Marra :lol) and say "Well, they're leaps and bounds ahead, see! Look at all these great CHL'ers I named." You don't know any American players because you don't pay attention to anything else but the CHL and it makes you look stupid. Watch some college and european hockey then you can start running your mouth.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
chicpea said:
So I know he was supposed to join his team over here, but has Radulov been cut? The USA site (though using the old rosters) doesn't have him listed (here ) and the hockey canada roster for russia (as of Dec. 21st) doesn't have him listed either, though they do list 3 goalies. The pdf is here
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/mens/junior/2005/rosters/rus.pdf
So what gives :dunno:

Hes on the team. Played yesterday against Sweden as 13th forward(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad