Radulov Alexander
Shafigullin Grigori
Shirokov Sergei
Voloshenko Roman
Yunkov Mikhail

Goalies:

Khudobin, Anton
Kuznetsov Andrey

So; no Misharin on defence, Khasanshin instead of Salnikov.

Yemelin makes the team :yo:

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
CloudNine said:
Hehehehe, no Kostsitsyn :)
Hamilton released him to play for Belarus, his home country.

As for this team, yikes. I'd put my money on them beating Canada in the Final this year as Canada made a few surprise picks for their roster that I did not really agree with.

RoyIsALegend*

I'm extremely anxious to see this Nikulin-Malkin-Parshin line. What a ton of skill there.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
theo6060 said:

As for this team, yikes. I'd put my money on them beating Canada in the Final this year as Canada made a few surprise picks for their roster that I did not really agree with.

France made weird picks for the Mundial in 1998 too...... and they surprisingly won! ;-)

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Kafka said:
France made weird picks for the Mundial in 1998 too...... and they surprisingly won! ;-)

Please, tell me who was a weird pick in 98 for France?? And they didn't win surprisingly! :shakehead

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
theo6060 said:

I find comments like this weird. Canada finished a VERY strong second last year and have 13 players back. KEY players at that- and the highest numer of any WJC team in memory.
The controversial picks (and yes, in fact EVERY team at the WJCs has controversial picks) are 4th line forwards. I mean, would Bolland over Ladd or Bernier oer Fraser really make the big difference when you have 3 returning fw lines and your top 4 df back? Look at the Russia roster by comparison. How many sure NHL guys on DF? Not even one. How many fws equal to Canada's best 20? Maybe 6.

This Russian roster doesn't impress me much at all after Ovechkin and Malkin. Compared to Kovalchuk's '83 -date Russian team these guys are pretty weak.

Of course, in one ame anything could happen. But a WOW for the Russianroster and a fear that the Canadian roster is too weak for them is..well... mind-bogggling to me.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
steblick said:
This Russian roster doesn't impress me much at all after Ovechkin and Malkin. Compared to Kovalchuk's '83 -date Russian team these guys are pretty weak.

By this I assume you mean the 2003 WJC championship squad (which Kovalchuk didn't play on, but was eligible for)? Because the one year Kovalchuk played Russia stunk, and the next year they won gold but were less than impressive. But that 2003 team (Grigorenko, Trubachev, Koltsov, Ovechkin, Medvedev,Taratuhkin, etc.) might be one of the best WJC teams assembled in a long time.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Look at the Russia roster by comparison. How many sure NHL guys on DF? Not even one. How many fws equal to Canada's best 20? Maybe 6.

How can you compare If, I assume, you have seen only Ovechkin from this roster. I haven't seen anyone from team Canada and I don't compare but what's your point based on? Stats, HF hype, "Times you've heard about this guy of HF" or something else? Where do find this numbers? 6, 20?
How many players you've seen to make this compare? I don't mean single clips - I mean full games.
And what does it mean "How many sure NHL guys on DF?" Better player were selected, not better prospects. Look at Lyamin other guys are better this year but , in case of his select, with all this hype around him, you or someone else would say that we have one guy at D with good future on NHL. His teammate Belov is better. The same story is about Glazachev. Young Galimov is better that Glazachev. He is one the reasons Glazachev was loaned. Glazachev has hype around him, but Galimov hasn't and does it mean that Galimov bad player?

Well our roster don't impress me much too after Ovehckin and Malkin but I understand that we can not select whole team where every player has the same level as Ovehckin and Malkin. It's normal.

FYI, U-20 team with Kovalchuk had sucked a lot at WJC 2001 and even wasn't in Top-4. U-20 WJC 2003 team was one of the better WJC teams I've ever seen. This team is a bit weaker but a lot better than WJC 2004 team.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
steblick said:
How many fws equal to Canada's best 20? Maybe 6.

:lol: Vice versa! No, you're not a homer and you're not biased!

I wanna :lol and :cry: at the same time, but I think I'll just keep :lol :lol !

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Kaizer said:
How can you compare If, I assume, you have seen only Ovechkin from this roster. I haven't seen anyone from team Canada and I don't compare but what's your point based on? Stats, HF hype, "Times you've heard about this guy of HF" or something else? Where do find this numbers? 6, 20?
How many players you've seen to make this compare? I don't mean single clips - I mean full games.
And what does it mean "How many sure NHL guys on DF?" Better player were selected, not better prospects. Look at Lyamin other guys are better this year but , in case of his select, with all this hype around him, you or someone else would say that we have one guy at D with good future on NHL. His teammate Belov is better. The same story is about Glazachev. Young Galimov is better that Glazachev. He is one the reasons Glazachev was loaned. Glazachev has hype around him, but Galimov hasn't and does it mean that Galimov bad player?

Well our roster don't impress me much too after Ovehckin and Malkin but I understand that we can not select whole team where every player has the same level as Ovehckin and Malkin. It's normal.

FYI, U-20 team with Kovalchuk had sucked a lot at WJC 2001 and even wasn't in Top-4. U-20 WJC 2003 team was one of the better WJC teams I've ever seen. This team is a bit weaker but a lot better than WJC 2004 team.

Actually, I've seen 18 of these guys live- from four to ten times each. I'm heavily involved ininternational hockey and I've been to Russia 4 times.
Now, the players on the roster are decent players but ....look at the DF. No one drafted in the 1st round, 1 late in the second. They are OK players- Emelin, Vorobiev, Belov, Megalinsky- but they were only 'good', not great, at the u-18s earlier this year in Slovakia. And in the 4or5 nations tournaments I've seen them in since- there is nobody in goal or on DF who is, or who copuld really be, considered a blue-chipper at all. Forwards too- after the big two, well, Yunkov, Radulov, and Voloshenko have proved their worth somewhat but are still only 18. Parshin is flashy but only 18.

Compared to the '83 squad (yes, I mean that immortal '83 team, not the WJC entry in 2003) this squad is, on paper, oneof the least worrisome Russian teams I've ever seen. You seem to confirm this at the end of your post-and NHL scouts confirm it too.

Still, I'm not saying they can't win. Upsets do happen- but this is hardly in anysense a powerhouse team from Russia. Compared to Canada this year- well, it would be a major upset if Russia beat them.

(P.S. The 82's were great too- Frolov, Zainullin, Yakubov, Vorobiev, Svitov et al.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
steblick said:
Actually, I've seen 18 of these guys live- from four to ten times each. I'm heavily involved ininternational hockey and I've been to Russia 4 times.
Now, the players on the roster are decent players but ....look at the DF. No one drafted in the 1st round, 1 late in the second. They are OK players- Emelin, Vorobiev, Belov, Megalinsky- but they were only 'good', not great, at the u-18s earlier this year in Slovakia. And in the 4or5 nations tournaments I've seen them in since- there is nobody in goal or on DF who is, or who copuld really be, considered a blue-chipper at all. Forwards too- after the big two, well, Yunkov, Radulov, and Voloshenko have proved their worth somewhat but are still only 18. Parshin is flashy but only 18.

Compared to the '83 squad (yes, I mean that immortal '83 team, not the WJC entry in 2003) this squad is, on paper, oneof the least worrisome Russian teams I've ever seen. You seem to confirm this at the end of your post-and NHL scouts confirm it too.

Still, I'm not saying they can't win. Upsets do happen- but this is hardly in anysense a powerhouse team from Russia. Compared to Canada this year- well, it would be a major upset if Russia beat them.

(P.S. The 82's were great too- Frolov, Zainullin, Yakubov, Vorobiev, Svitov et al.

What was so great about the 83s and their 7th place finish? Games arn't played on paper.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
TORRUS said:
:lol: Vice versa! No, you're not a homer and you're not biased!

I wanna :lol and :cry: at the same time, but I think I'll just keep :lol :lol !

Nhl scouts seem to think so (check not only recent drafts and rankings but also updates etc.Moreover, I do talk with a lot of int'l hockey personnel). The fact is that Canada is really stacked at FW (and DF) this year. Yeah, I'm Canadian but, sorry, that's not bias. That Canada's 85's in particular are outstanding is pretty much an accepted fact. That Russia's '85s and '86s are not so great is also pretty much widely accepted.

Things change though- Russia had better fws (and maybe df) than Canada in the '82 and '83 group. I'm not afraid of admitting that. Right now Canada has a bunch of great fws. That will change too.

Why assume that because I'm confirming what pretty much every knowledgeable hockey analyst says (including folks in international hockey)- that Canada is stacked this year (meaning '85 b-dates)- means that I'm biased (and that that is so so very funny)?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Epsilon said:
What was so great about the 83s and their 7th place finish? Games arn't played on paper.

Exactly!
This guy claims to be some pro scout ... but apparently he only watches the players, not the game.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Epsilon said:

Under 18 tourneys, World u18s and so on. That team was just dominant. No other Euro tems beloned on the same ice. Saw them about 20 times. By the way, the team with mostly '83 b-dates won the WJC gold did they not (the Grigorenko, Poloushin, Chistov, Shishkanov, Artyukhin, Taratoukhin, Tyutin, Knyazev, Medvedev team)?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
steblick said:
Under 18 tourneys, World u18s and so on. That team was just dominant. No other Euro tems beloned on the same ice. Saw them about 20 times. By the way, the team with mostly '83 b-dates won the WJC gold did they not (the Grigorenko, Poloushin, Chistov, Shishkanov, Artyukhin, Taratoukhin, Tyutin, Knyazev, Medvedev team)?

Oh never mind now I get it. I'm just getting the numbers mixed up. OK I agree with you now.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
wilka91 said:
Exactly!
This guy claims to be some pro scout ... but apparently he only watches the players, not the game.

I didn't claim that- although in fact I once was. Anyway, correct me if I'm way out of my tree here-but didn't the Russians win the WJC gold when Grigorenko, Poloushin, Tyutin et al were on the team- yes or no?

Anyway, I'm trying make a point- that while Canada has the top players this year, Russia had the power in the 82 and 83 groups. I thought, as a Russian (I'm assuming) that you would agree with me on that and therefore not just assume that I'm being some mindless homer when I state Canada's strength vis-avis Russia this year.
But, strangely, you don't even seem to want to admit the skill of that 83 group (at least judging by your previous, caustic, post)- who were widely admired and feared in the hockey world at that time. I really don't understand where you are going with this argument...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
steblick said:
I didn't claim that- although in fact I once was. Anyway, correct me if I'm way out of my tree here-but didn't the Russians win the WJC gold when Grigorenko, Poloushin, Tyutin et al were on the team- yes or no?

Anyway, I'm trying make a point- that while Canada has the top players this year, Russia had the power in the 82 and 83 groups. I thought, as a Russian (I'm assuming) that you would agree with me on that and therefore not just assume that I'm being some mindless homer when I state Canada's strength vis-avis Russia this year.
But, strangely, you don't even seem to want to admit the skill of that 83 group (at least judging by your previous, caustic, post)- who were widely admired and feared in the hockey world at that time. I really don't understand where you are going with this argument...

I know you were talking to him and not me, but for myself I'll just say that I was substracting the years incorrectly and getting the wrong team. That Russian squad was definitely one of the strongest teams ever assembled for junior competition.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
steblick said:

I'm not going anywhere ... I don't even know who was in the 83 or 82 or 84 group except Frolov, Chistov and a couple of others.

All I know is that this year's team has Ovechkin, Malkin and a couple more on it, and no other country can match their firepower.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Just another point.

I know that the best players, or the most hyped players don't necessarily make the best team. But, if you look at the post that I originally responded to, it was he who actually stated that he was worried about Canada because a few lesser-lights (meaning lower draft position, less hype) snuck on to the Canadian roster.
By that token then, if the criteria for fearing or trumpeting up a team is its paper roster (and let's face it, that's largely what we are going on before the tourney begins) then Russia would/should come out as far less fearsome than Canada- as Russia has a LOT more unknown-to-most players on their roster.

I'm sure, as you said, that some of these lesser-known guys are good players- but until we actually see them, I can't undestand anyone looking at the Russian ROSTER-as the original poster was- and concluding "whew! scary!"- Ovechkin and Malkin aside.

P.S. I'm in quaint Estonia as I write this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad