Final NHL Proposal Coming Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
New article dated 2/1. with the title "Final NHL Proposal Coming Soon?" from Newsday.com

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-spnhl0201,0,2778900.story?coll=ny-sports-headline

"This final offer might be the one the league has been holding on to, as sources have been suggesting, with the intention of making it difficult for the players to turn down. A person with knowledge of the situation said the offer will likely involve the widely reported range of payroll soft caps and luxury taxes leading up to a hard cap of around $42 million, which the league should be amenable to raising to $45 million if it means sealing the deal. Incentives to teams with the lowest payrolls would push them to spend more. According to numbers presented by the NHLPA in its Dec. 9 proposal, there are 10 teams currently carrying a 2004-05 payroll of less than $30 million, while five teams are over $45 million.

The NHL also wants to guarantee the players no less than 53 percent of revenue each season, but some reports over the weekend said the league won't let it go higher than 55 percent."

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Yea I seen that too. I dont know how much credibility the writer has, or his sources for his info. Is this just his thoughts?

I hope the last proposal is indeed a meaningful one and the PA can finally stop the crap and get a deal done.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
Been reading Hahn for quite some time.....he is honest and reliable, if this turns out to be false, it would be his sources, nothing he knowingly did to be deceptive.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It would seem that the owners have to eventually give the players some chance to accept a season saving offer. They must be exploring which buttons they can push to make 50% +1 players accept it likely against the wishes of the bargaining committee.

Are the players ready to accept a cap? Are they ready to accept a cap, but not this one from a hardball process that would save the season? Tough call. Sounds like the owners have one they want to put forth.

50-50 they say. Cross your fingers.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
thinkwild said:
It would seem that the owners have to eventually give the players some chance to accept a season saving offer. They must be exploring which buttons they can push to make 50% +1 players accept it likely against the wishes of the bargaining committee.

Are the players ready to accept a cap? Are they ready to accept a cap, but not this one from a hardball process that would save the season? Tough call. Sounds like the owners have one they want to put forth.

50-50 they say. Cross your fingers.

Thinkwild....are you talking about a secret ballot or a final vote to accept a new CBA agreement? Does the CBA agreement agreement have to be ratified by each and every player or just Goodenow and the negotiating commitee?

Here are some comments from the Predator's Greg Johnson today.

http://tennessean.com/sports/predators/archives/05/01/64957155.shtml?Element_ID=64957155

"Might a secret-ballot NHLPA vote on the proposal be in order?

''I don't think it is,'' Predators captain Greg Johnson said. ''We put our faith in the negotiating committee, and we're confident they're doing what's best for us as a union. I don't think we'll need any vote until they feel it's appropriate.''

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
looks to me like the owners are getting their proposal out in the public so that the rank and file of the players know exactly what their leaders are turning down. "viva revolutione" off with their heads" "start with goodenow!"

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
This kind of optimisim sounds all too famaliar.

“There will be one more league move,†my source insists, “and it will be the kind that will be very detailed and should command the players’ interest.â€

This could just be the league's version of the players' 24% rollback optimism. We all remember how the players truly thought that their offer would be the foundation for a new deal and that they were in awe that the owners rejected it. This new league offer could be the same thing. "That offer was fair and full of compromise, I don't know how the PA could reject." said (the owner of your choice).

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Stan Fischler is a hack. It was proven on this site by a poster who had pointed out fischlers tactics to Fox Sports and its proven by every article he has ever written.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
the thing is it's not just fischler its also burke, griffiths, the daily news and others probably-i think the owners want this out in print so that everyone knows their proposal and that includes all the players regardless of their salary and all of us the fans -i think that thats their point -maybe they are trying to create all the pressure on the PA they can--hopefully it might cause the minions of the union to turn the screws on their leaders which they should--the league is a trainwreck right now and will be a bigger trainwreck in sept without a draft and the uncertain status of players drafted last yr that remain unsigned not to mention the numerous ancillary employees of the nhl and the families of the lower tiered player--oh yeah and the general rage of most hockey fans. it's not going to get any easier-and one other thing the relationship of the nhl w/nbc and the relationships of all the teams and their local broadcast partners--the more i think about it the more its not a trainwreck-it's more between a a-bomb and armageddon

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I seriously dont think either side is willing to cancel the season. IMHO, the NHLPA will come to their senses and get this thing wrapped up. Neither side can afford a full year gone. The game cant survive it...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
handtrick said:
Thinkwild....are you talking about a secret ballot or a final vote to accept a new CBA agreement? Does the CBA agreement agreement have to be ratified by each and every player or just Goodenow and the negotiating commitee?

Im thinking of a final vote. You'd think what the owners want to do is put forth an enticing enough cap, that the committee feels the membership pressure to put it up for a vote, even though they are recommending it not be accepted. Its probably a pretty hard thing for the owners to do.

The players have given their bargaining committee their confidence and the power to make the decision when it goes for a vote. If they recommend it, it will surely be accepted.

Cherry says a $45mil hard cap should be acceptable. Maybe $50mil cap would make it tough. If you think the players have accepted the concept that is. Guess we find out one way or another soon. Some say 70% want to accept it so it should be over soon.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Scugs said:
I seriously dont think either side is willing to cancel the season. IMHO, the NHLPA will come to their senses and get this thing wrapped up. Neither side can afford a full year gone. The game cant survive it...
why not ? the players have already lost over 1billion dollars, they have little left to lose by thumbing their nose at hte next offer. thats why the owners must put some real honey in the offer

if the season is cancelled, the owners have a few problems.

1) returning all the season ticket money
2) selling ticket seasons for next year when everyone will tell them to screw off
3) sponsers who take their money elsewhere
4) tv contracts and leases that the owners will not be living up to obligations for a 2nd straight year.
5) Sydney Crosby

Most of whats left to lose is will be on the owners. The players have already lost 2/3rd of what the owners claim to have lost in 10 years !

How long will the warchest last ? The pressure is now shifting to the owners, IMO.

DR

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
thinkwild said:
Im thinking of a final vote. You'd think what the owners want to do is put forth an enticing enough cap, that the committee feels the membership pressure to put it up for a vote, even though they are recommending it not be accepted. Its probably a pretty hard thing for the owners to do.
i think if the NHL convinces Linden, then hockey will be back. If they dont convince Linden to support the offer, then they better table "shock and awe" or its of zero doubt that the players will not accept it.

The players will not over rule Linden (captain) and Goodenow (coach) unless its blatantly overkill. This is the obstacle the owners must deal with. Hockey players at this level rarely dont follow the captain and coach. Its the culture.

DR

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
DR said:
why not ? the players have already lost over 1billion dollars, they have little left to lose by thumbing their nose at hte next offer. thats why the owners must put some real honey in the offer

2) selling ticket seasons for next year when everyone will tell them to screw off
4) tv contracts and leases that the owners will not be living up to obligations for a 2nd straight year.
5) Sydney Crosby

Most of whats left to lose is will be on the owners. The players have already lost 2/3rd of what the owners claim to have lost in 10 years !

How long will the warchest last ? The pressure is now shifting to the owners, IMO.

DR
that warchest is a joke. teams can only take 10 million dollars out. (the amount of money they put in) some teams have already taken money out.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
DR said:

5) Sydney Crosby

DR

the owners would have some major problems, but the players gotta realize that if this lockout goes for a long time, some of their jobs will be in jeopardy.
The revenue won't be there, thus the cap will be smaller

Brent Burns Beard