Final Mock Draft of the Year - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
This is my final mock draft of the year. I will be completing the second round sometime this week and have that posted as a second installment.

1. Washington Capitals: Alexander Ovechkin
So what do I say about the obvious choice here? Many credible scouting companies have suggested that Malkin may be nearly as good of a player and has closed the gap, but none have suggested that Malkin has overtaken Ovechkin for the first overall selection that’s already had his name carved into it since nearly 2002.

2. Pittsburgh Penguins: Evgeni Malkin
The other certainty in the draft. As I mentioned above, Malkin may have proven to the Penguins that losing the Ovechkin sweepstakes may not be that bad. His performance at the recent Under 18 Championships really showcased his dominating potential and he could be ready to step into the Pens line up as early as next season )if there is one)

3. Chicago Blackhawks: Cam Barker
Alright, so here’s where it gets interesting. This pick isn’t as clear cut Barker as I’ve seen on a lot of mock drafts. I could just as easily see the Hawks drafting Tukonen or Olesz or Ladd. Barker is an immense defensive talent though, and even though the Hawks already have some solid young defenseman, none could have the offensive impact that Barker could make one day.

4. Columbus Blue Jackets: Marek Schwarz
Alright so the Blue Jackets already have Marc Denis. And then they have Pascal Leclaire waiting in the wings. But you can never have too much goaltending. And I’m sure Schwarz is the 4th best player available on a lot of teams lists. By the time Schwarz is ready to come to North America, Leclaire should be in the NHL and Denis should be gone (or Leclaire gone and Denis still manning the nets). The Jackets offense has been stocked with young offensive players so far, and while the defense could possibly use some help, Schwarz is a solid pick.

5. Phoenix Coyotes: Andrew Ladd
Ladd is a protypical character forward. He brings it all every game and he’s still improving drastically. His offensive ceiling may be a bit higher then most people give him credit for. Future third line forwards aren’t rated number one in North America by CSB. He fits into the Coyotes system very well and while scouting last year’s WHL selections, the Yotes must have seen a lot of Ladd.

6. New York Rangers: A.J. Thelen
Thelen is one player that’s hard to get a read on. Some scouting agencies don’t seem to be very high on him, in fact Mckeens is the only one I know of that has him in there respective top 10. But another reality is that each NHL team will have different rankings just as scouting agencies. Thelen is an outstanding offensive defenseman, with size. He oozes with pro potential. And having just traded Brian Leetch, Thelen (who ironically is being compared to Leetch) is the fairytale selection.

7. Florida Panthers: Rob Schremp
Mike Keenan is running the show now, and looking over Iron Mike’s drafting record, he doesn’t seem to drift outside of the CHL for the first round. Schremp makes sense for the Panthers. They must have seen a lot of him while scouting a lot of their OHL selections from the past few years. Sure there are a lot of questions marks, but there is also a lot of talent. I don’t see Schremp letting down the Panthers.

8. Carolina Hurricanes: Rostislav Olesz
Olesz is a very talented centerman and judging by his rankings from scouting agencies, he should have been chosen by now. He provides Carolina with another future top line centerman (with Staal last year).

9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks: Lauri Tukonen
Tukonen makes a solid selection for the Ducks at number 9. He works hard and his performance at the Under 18’s was really the case closed on his offensive potential which was being criticized before, simply because his offensive numbers this year coming into the tourney weren’t dazzling. He could be a definite steal at this position.

10. Atlanta Thrashers: Alexandre Picard
Picard is a bit of an enigma. When he’s on, he’s a tremendous player who skates hard, hits, scores, and is all over the ice. But when he’s off, he can be virtually invisible out there on the ice. The Thrashers hope to unlock that consistency factor in Picard’s game so that he round into a solid scoring option alongside Heatley and Kovalchuk.

11. Los Angeles Kings: Alvaro Montoya
It only makes sense doesn’t it? The Kings seem to need to draft a franchise goalie every year. And they don’t. But Montoya is not only a goaltender, but the best player available at this position. He provides them with a staple in goal for the future, something they just don’t have right now IMO. The Kings have managed to stock the rest of their farm system with solid drafting the past few years, so it’s time to take a gamble on that goaltender.

12. Minnesota Wild: Drew Stafford
Stafford is a budding power forward, who had a tremendous year at North Dakota. He’s big and he’s skilled and he fits very well into the Wild’s current crop of prospects.

13. Buffalo Sabres: Andrej Meszaros
Meszaros is a Slovakian defenseman who’s only hitting the tip of the iceberg regarding his potential. Considered mostly an offensive defenseman, Meszaros is pretty solid at the other end of the ice too. Buffalo is generally all over the place when it comes to drafting, and Meszaros is no reach. ISS has had him in their top 10 for much of the year.

14. Edmonton Oilers: Alexander Radulov
Radulov is another real wild card of the draft. He’s a highly enigmatic offensive wizard who at times can dominate the game. Redline seems incredibly high on him, where as THN and Mckeens are not quite as high on him. However, the Oilers have never been known to pass up a gamble selection and run with it. Radulov could be a big time offensive player in the future.

15. Nashville Predators: Wojtek Wolski
The Preds system is stacked, from position to position. Nearly all of their prospects took steps forward this year. Wolski is a player who saw his draft ranking nosedive over the last two months of the season. It wasn’t so much what he did, but what others around him did to improve their ranking. He’s a good offensive talent and he’s definitely got top line potential. His inconsistency currently holds him back. At times he looks disinterested in the game, and has developed many lazy characteristics over the course of the season.

16. New York Islanders: Ladislav Smid
Smid is a very solid two way defenseman who seems like a lock to be an eventual NHL’er. It’s just at what capacity that uncertain. Is he a future top pairing defenseman, or a future third pairing defenseman? He has a solid WJC and has had a pretty consistent year overall. Some scouts seem to think he’s got a raw untapped offensive potential that could develop, in which case the Isles could be the beneficiary.

17. St. Louis Blues: Travis Zajac
Holy Crap, I think it took me like 20 minutes to decide on this particular selection. So many guys to ponder, so many situations. Zajac is an interesting pick though. He’s a very talented offensive player, playing against inferior competition. He’s a real wild card pick by the Blues, who seem to love taking gambles on players with high offensive upside.

18. Montreal Canadiens: Cory Schneider
By the time Cory Schenider is ready for NHL action, who knows what will happen, but as of right now the Habs are set in goal with superstar Jose Theodore and possibly the best young back up in the NHL, Mathieu Garon. But like I said, who knows by the time Schneider is ready (probably at least 3 years before he even sees AHL action). Even with the signing of Yann Denis (who definitely gives the Habs another option), Schneider is an attractive selection because he could eventually be the best goaltender to come out of this draft.

19. Dallas Stars: Petteri Nokelainen
Nokelainen is a very polished Finnish forward who works hard and is the prototypical Stars draft pick. He had a very solid Under 18’s, and was a full time contributor in the SM-Liiga this year. He’s already pro ready, and his offensive potential could be seriously underrated.

20. Colorado Avalanche: Kyle Chipchura
Chipchura falls a bit simply because I’m just not sure how good he is. His stats this year are just not very flattering, especially for someone ranked so high. On the bright side, he did have a good Under 18’s for Canada, where he was one of our best players. Colorado could desperately use another solid forward prospect, and despite his drawbacks, Chipchura is still a very good selection.

21. New Jersey Devils: Lauri Korpikoski
Korpikoski is a very offensive talented finnish winger who is all over the map in terms of scouting agencies. Redline has him inside their top 10. Mckeens outside their top 40. THN sandwiched in between the two. However Conte and crew love to take some gambles, especially on players with very high upside. If Korpikoski can improve his consistency and round out his game, he could be a special player.

22. Ottawa Senators: Dave Bolland
Bolland is a very solid player and is an excellent addition to the Senators prospect pool. He absolutely exploded on to the draft scene this year, after putting up very weak numbers last year. He’s a very good goalscorer, who’s very smart, plays a solid two way game and is only improving with more consistency. I think there is more offense there then people give him credit for.

23. New York Rangers (From Toronto): Roman Voloshenko
Voloshenko is a natural offensive talent who knows how to burry the puck. The one major drawback is his speed, which has drawn concerns from many scouts. However you can’t teach skill, skating can be improved upon. The Rangers could use someone like Roman, who just knows how to score and isn’t completely one dimensional either.

24. Edmonton Oilers (From Philadelphia): Mike Green
Green is another wild card for this draft. There is no question that his talent level is very high. He can skate, he hits, he’s a solid powerplay QB, he’s a complete package. The only thing lacking from his game are height and a good team to play for. Sure Edmonton has some good defenseman currently, but you pick BPA and go from there.

25. Vancouver Canucks: Wes O Neill
O Neill is definitely a project pick. He’s seen his stock drop considerably this year after being considered nearly a shoe in for a top 10 selection earlier. The main reason being his lack of development and improvement over the course of the season. Some scouts question his hockey sense and overall hockey intelligence, which is definitely something you look for in a defenseman. However O Neill is also a big body, who can skate, has a terrific shot, can run the powerplay and is a potentially solid defenseman.

26. Washington Capitals (From Boston): Boris Valabik
Valabik takes a bit of a fall, and I’m honestly not sure why. Just worked out that way. He’s a big mean mother, he’s got some offensive skill and he’s not as an atrocious skater as he’s made out to be. He is very raw however and he’s prone to some defensive lapses. Washington gets a solid player here, a bit of a project, but one who could be a defensive staple for many years.

27. San Jose Sharks: Victor Alexandrov
A pick that’s a bit out of left field, but the Sharks will do that. Alexandrov is a very talented offensive player and after receiving much hype a few years ago, disappeared and then reappeared again. If he can continue to progress and get over to North America, he could really impress a lot of people, once he gets himself into the limelight.

28. Tampa Bay Lightning: Devan Dubnyk
Dubnyk is a big solid goaltender who had a very good overall year from the WHL to the Under 18’s. He moves well, especially for a big guy. The Lightning currently have the Bulin Wall and John Graehme forming a solid duo, and even some solid picks from the past few years, but none have the impact potential Dubnyk does.

29. Washington Capitals (From Detroit): Bruce Graham
Graham is a big, tall and lanky QMJHL centerman whos seen a steady climb all year in the draft rankings. Despite being such a big guy, he’s a good skater and more of a finesse player then a power forward. However with that big build, there is plenty of room for improvement, especially in the area of consistency.

30. Calgary Flames (Stanley Cup Winner Prediction): Carl Soderberg
Soderberg is a very talented offensive player, who has just yet to put everything together. His inconsistency is currently holding him back from being a higher selection. Definitely a gamble, but one that could pay off if he can put all his assets together.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
There is no way Olesz falls past the Rangers at #6, or Wes O'Neil fall past the Rangers at #24/25

Mr.Sinister

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
i really think that columbus wants a center to play with Nash & Zherdev, and i think that will be Schremp,

The rangers will not take a D man with their first when they can have Olesz, especially if hes considered to be the next Jagr, i duno if thats a good thing or a bad thing, they will get their bone crushing D with there second Pick.

i think that florida will take a winger, Wolski or Picard, i agree with you on the CHL comment.

i think Carolina will take Thelen

Nashville has stated publically that they want a C, and it prob will be Chipchura, i think everyone sees him as a Getzlaf copy, but he seems to have more skill.

I believe Anaheims pick is the one that determines if the Goalies slip this year, i belive they will take Schwarz and LA will take Montoya,

Minnesota wont give up a Power forward like Stafford, and hes a home town boy.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
You guys are in for a big shock this year then, this year especially.

Every year there are things that you don't think will happen and they do, such as O Sullivan and Fritsche falling to the second round. Or Zach Parise getting passed so many teams. Or Brent Burns going inside the top 25. Whatever be it.

This draft year is so wide open, its rediculous, after the second spot it's going to be a free for all. And it's not just me saying that, read the nice article in the THN draft issue, regarding scouts opinions on this years draft.

Another thing you need to realize is that....pretty much every team in the NHL has solid goaltending now, or for the future already. But someone is going to draft these top goaltenders, going by the position that they believe these goaltenders will be valuable assets in the future. Hell Florida could take a goalie at the seven spot, even though they have Luongo. The reality is that teams will take Schwarz and Montoya and Schneider...etc And the reality is that you'll look and think "wow this team didnt need a goaltender"

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Brock said:
Another thing you need to realize is that....pretty much every team in the NHL has solid goaltending now, or for the future already. But someone is going to draft these top goaltenders, going by the position that they believe these goaltenders will be valuable assets in the future. Hell Florida could take a goalie at the seven spot, even though they have Luongo. The reality is that teams will take Schwarz and Montoya and Schneider...etc And the reality is that you'll look and think "wow this team didnt need a goaltender"

Exactly....

None of these guys are NHL ready...and who knows what their teams' goaltending status will look like when they are. Schwarz can stay in Europe as long as he needs, both Montoya and Dubnyk have 2 year windows for a contract, and Schneider has his WHOLE college career in front of him. What team can say they know right now that they won't need a goalie in 4 years? I could buy it from Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Boston, maybe a few others. But ANYONE could pick a goalie, and in fact most teams usually pick (at least) one goalie per draft year anyways.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Brock said:
You guys are in for a big shock this year then, this year especially.

Every year there are things that you don't think will happen and they do, such as O Sullivan and Fritsche falling to the second round. Or Zach Parise getting passed so many teams. Or Brent Burns going inside the top 25. Whatever be it.

This draft year is so wide open, its rediculous, after the second spot it's going to be a free for all. And it's not just me saying that, read the nice article in the THN draft issue, regarding scouts opinions on this years draft.

Agreed 100%.

That's a gutsy pick of Zajac for thje Blues. That's a guy I hadn't considered. Schneider might also be an option for them, as might either of the Finns, Korpikoski or Nokelainen (due to Jarmo Kekalainen's presence).

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Mr.Sinister said:
i really think that columbus wants a center to play with Nash & Zherdev, and i think that will be Schremp,

The rangers will not take a D man with their first when they can have Olesz, especially if hes considered to be the next Jagr, i duno if thats a good thing or a bad thing, they will get their bone crushing D with there second Pick.

i think that florida will take a winger, Wolski or Picard, i agree with you on the CHL comment.

i think Carolina will take Thelen

Nashville has stated publically that they want a C, and it prob will be Chipchura, i think everyone sees him as a Getzlaf copy, but he seems to have more skill.

I believe Anaheims pick is the one that determines if the Goalies slip this year, i belive they will take Schwarz and LA will take Montoya,

Minnesota wont give up a Power forward like Stafford, and hes a home town boy.

Anaheim take a goalie? Do you know who J-S Giguere and Ilya Bryzgalov are? I also forgot about their friend, Martin Gerber. I'd hope Anaheim doesn't take a goalie.

If Tukonen fell to Anaheim at #9, that'd be great, but I doubt it happens. Thelen is a more likely choice.

I doubt Chicago takes Barker, as they have Seabrook, Babchuk, Kukkonen, Wishiniewski, etc. and don't really need Barker. And New York likely won't take Thelen, as they have Tyutin and Pock, as well as Lampan, Nycholat, etc.

Carolina might take Thelen, as they have pretty much Danny Richmond as d prospects, but I figure they'll go for a forward to play with Staal and Cole on a future line. Likely Tukonen(if available), Ladd, Radulov, or Wolski.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
My favourite players in this draft are Olesz and Tukonen, it would be awesome if one will fall to us, but I can't see this happen.

IMO the Columbus selection make sense to me. Schwarz is a franchise goalie and the Jackets are thin in that department.

Green is a bit low but with your selections could happen.

Great job! :handclap:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Mat0109 said:
Columbus will never pick Schwartz, they would probably take Lauri Tukonen or Rostislav Olesz!

Columbus won't pick Olesz BUT, I think Schwartz could be the sleeper pick for the CBJ. They won't pick him at 4. Doug MacLean specificly said on his radio show that if Schwartz is picked at four, it won't be by the CBJ -- listening to MacLean for years now, there is definitely room for interpretation in his comment. Lots of buzz about the CBJ trading down. It isn't hard to imagine them sliding down a few spots and taking Schwartz.
Good mock. Good insight.

Last edited:

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Would think with Green O'Neill and Valabik still there the stars could go defense although your pick sounds like a stars type player at least under Gainey. Good work also think Olesz could slide some and Schwartz should be taken high if not Columbus then Phoenix. Stars also said to be interested in Soderberg. When you do the 2d round remember Stars now have 34 and 56. Again Nice effort

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Nice effort Brock..

I don't like your pick for the Stars however. He seems like a hard working, two-way forward that could develop an interesting offensive side. Problem is, the Stars have a lot of those types (Ott, Miettinen, Jokinen, Eriksson, etc), it's time to hit a new direction. If they decide to pick a forward with their first pick (which I already doubt) I assume the Stars will draft the best offensive wizard available (preferably one with some size), regardless whether he is a defensive liability, regardless whether he has no heart. That, and the Stars have so much trust in their scandinavian scouts (rightfuly so) that they depend on them to come up with some gems in the later rounds, I don't think they will take a chance on either of them that early while not even having adressed their biggest needs (Defense)..

I much rather have Boris Valabik for my Stars. Also, you seem to have Radulov quite low..

Agree with Starsdude as well; Brock, do you think that the Stars can grab both Fransson and Soderberg with their two 2nd rounders (34th and 56th) or do they need to trade up? That would be the perfect draft for the Stars if they can somehow draft Valabik, Soderberg and Fransson. It would adress their defensive depth and a forward that can pay off big time.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Would love those picks for the stars but I assume Fransson could be gone by 56. I would be thrilled with Valabik Soderberg and my grandmother if it shook out that way but Rogers Lepisto and carson would be okay as well

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Regarding the Stars pick, I really like the way Nokelainen sounds and I think he'd be the perfect compliment to the Stars organization. And I do think he has more offensive skill then you guys may think, his numbers at the Under 18's were sensational and his numbers in the SM-Liiga this year were actually pretty decent, 4 goals and 4 assists aint to bad. The Finnish posters here at HF really seem to like the guy.

I could see them drafting Valabik as well, the only that that I thought about there was whether the fact that they might have seen a little bit of Martin Vagner in him, which could possibly scare them off.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Brock said:
I could see them drafting Valabik as well, the only that that I thought about there was whether the fact that they might have seen a little bit of Martin Vagner in him, which could possibly scare them off.

But on the other hand, Martin Vagner's departure makes the Stars depth on the blueline even more thinner. I am nearly positive that they will take that risk. Trevor Daley, Dan Jancevski, Matt Nickerson, John Erskine, it pretty much stops there, and no one besides Daley has definite top 4 potential. To top it off, there's a chance that 5 or even 6 current members of the Stars defense will all leave, either due to free agency (Matvichuk, Klemm, Therien) or due to their age (Numminen, Sweeney, Sekeras). The Stars need defense, and will likely draft a defenseman, regardless who's still on board. Then again, Valabik seems the exact opposite type that they need (they need a two-way defenseman, solid offensive game and maybe some size to boot)..

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Terrific job, Brock. I'd do cartwheels if Tukonen "fell" to the Ducks. While I think he's definitely top 5 or 6 material, you are 100% correct in pointing out that almost every draft is filled with surprises. Few of us Ducks fans thought that Ryan Getzlaf would still be on the board when the 19th pick overall rolled around---yet, there he was. Anybody think that Jiri Hudler---top five in some quarters---would be passed over 52 times? There's a good chance that Tukonen will be gone by the 9th pick, but I can virtually guarantee that someone like Tukonen, Olesz or Schremp will drop dramatically below their "consensus", pre-draft positions.

ducksflytogether said:
Anaheim take a goalie? Do you know who J-S Giguere and Ilya Bryzgalov are? I also forgot about their friend, Martin Gerber. I'd hope Anaheim doesn't take a goalie.

If Tukonen fell to Anaheim at #9, that'd be great, but I doubt it happens. Thelen is a more likely choice.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking Schwarz if he were the BPA when the ninth pick overall comes up. I'm not nearly as high on Bryzgalov as many Ducks fans seem to be. I don't think he has improved that much over the past two years. More troubling is the fact that he's a hothead. He has had a couple of Belfour-like breakdowns, without yet demonstrating Belfour-like skills. I'm not saying he won't make it in the NHL, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't or merely becomes a journeyman backup.

Gerber is as good as gone. He wouldn't been traded at the deadline if the offer had been player(s) rather than pick(s). I'd be shocked if he were still with the Ducks when training camp opens. In fact, I expect him to be dealt at the Entry Draft. He could be used to "move up" a couple of spots, to acquire some additional picks or in an exchange of players.

In short, I'd love to see the Ducks draft Tukonen, but I'd be happy if Schwarz as long as they didn't pass over someone like Tukonen, Olez or Thelen.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Gutsy picks Brock, you won't please anyone with a mock draft but you've made it interesting by not going with the "safest-bet" choices.
It's certainly something to ponder before the draft so thank you.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Great Mock Draft Brock :handclap:

I am An Oilers fan and i would love to see Mike Green and Radulov become Oiler Prospects, although Radulov could go earlier but you never know, remember Hudler slipping to the 2nd round after everyone had predicted him as a top 15.

Dave Bolland would also be a great fit in Ottawa, he just seems like the type of player for that squad.

Safir*

Brock said:
7. Florida Panthers: Rob Schremp
Mike Keenan is running the show now, and looking over Iron Mike?s drafting record, he doesn?t seem to drift outside of the CHL for the first round. Schremp makes sense for the Panthers. They must have seen a lot of him while scouting a lot of their OHL selections from the past few years. Sure there are a lot of questions marks, but there is also a lot of talent. I don?t see Schremp letting down the Panthers.

I thought that the Panthers are already pretty stagged down the middle with Jokinen, Horton and Weiss.

Do they really need another center?:dunno:

degroat*

TomACE said:
I thought that the Panthers are already pretty stagged down the middle with Jokinen, Horton and Weiss.

Do they really need another center?:dunno:

It seems that two of those are constantly mentioned in trade rumors, so I'm not sure how set Florida really is down the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad