Final HFNHL Endorsements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Darned good questions Ville, and we don't have the answers for any of hte implications the WHA could present to rated players, let alone prospects.

But let's see if they can put teams on the ice first. When they're drafting players for 'Founders Teams' without a city to play in yet, I think it's fair to say they have a fair bit of work to do before actually getting the league underway - let alone drawing over noteworthy talent. Especially so late in the off-season.

If they do ultimately get their proverbial stuff together, we'll have to gauge things based on the quality of the line-ups - and then make a call. Perhaps a few fantasy publications will provide guidance.

HFNHL Red Wings

That's really a tough one. Heck I don't even recall seeing how many games their schedule is (assuming the league actually runs and plays a full season before folding).
I suspect we may have to wait a bit to see how things develop before any meaningful discussion could occur.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
HFNHL Red Wings said:
That's really a tough one. Heck I don't even recall seeing how many games their schedule is (assuming the league actually runs and plays a full season before folding).
I suspect we may have to wait a bit to see how things develop before any meaningful discussion could occur.

The WHA intends to play a 76 to 80 game schedule and will conduct the Entry Level and Free Agent Draft on Saturday, July 10.

taken from the WHA website

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Dryden said:
The WHA intends to play a 76 to 80 game schedule and will conduct the Entry Level and Free Agent Draft on Saturday, July 10.

They held their draft, but who knows which players will agree to play. Any decisions on the WHA will probably have to wait until closer to season start.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
They're apparently planning for a start around the third week of October, and maybe a 65-game sched this season. That still leaves them with little more than 60 days to put their teams together before training camps would open (never mind arena scheduling, broadcast negotiations or - God help them - ticket sales! :lol: ).

Suffice to say this is little more than a stunt at this point, and it will take a miracle of epic proportions for anything to come together that would have an actual impact on the HFNHL under these time contraints.

As (veteran Sports broadcaster) Bob McCowan said the other day, it's likely they had originally planned around a 2005-06 launch, but the impending lockout represented such an opportunity that they tried to move their schedule forward...

HFNHL Red Wings

Dryden said:

That's the problem with the WHA. They havn't even resolved key issues around their league. Their still trying to decide if they are going to play 5-on-5 or 4-on-4 regulation hockey. Originally I heard they were going to have shoot outs for ties but then another press conference said it would be 3-on-3 OT. A schedule that is anywhere from 65 games to 80 in length?
Heck just last month they said there would at a minimum 10 teams but now it's 7 where the city hasn't even been determined for one of them (Dallas/Vancouver).

They have a long way to go before I take them seriously. I'm just watching so I don't miss the inevitable 'crash' (sort of why people watch NASCAR).

I would be very surprised to see if any credible hockey talent signs on with these teams given the circus atmosphere. The more I think about it Ville I doubt anyone of the calibre you would worry about for the Mountain Dew award would dare join this league for it's inagural season.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
HFNHL Red Wings said:
The more I think about it Ville I doubt anyone of the calibre you would worry about for the Mountain Dew award would dare join this league for it's inagural season.

The reason is actually that I have one player who might very well chose to play in the WHA instead of the OHL. Andre Benoit, drafted 3rd overall by Detroit in the WHA amateur draft. I drafted him in the 9th round this year. He's undrafted in the NHL, but has been putting up 67 and 75 points in the OHL the past two seasons. He's still egliable for the Mountain Dew for one year, but if he moves to WHA, he currently wouldn't be able to get the money for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->