Not open for further replies.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Jatkoaika.com

Pity it wasn't Viuhkola or Immonen

Immonen or Antti Miettinen would have been my choice.. This one is a real shocker, the only logic is Mikko has trained and progressed very well this summer, thus really impressing coach Summanen. Mikko has the size to fill a checking role on the team, but then again so does Viuhkola, and he's a lot more experienced.Anyway Mikko seems to have really skyrocketed up the depth-chart during the summer.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
nice to see a young prospect like Koivu with the big boys, but it sure is surprising. Correct me if I am wrong, but he wasn't considered good enough to make the Finnish World Championship squad, correct?

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Predatore said:
nice to see a young prospect like Koivu with the big boys, but it sure is surprising. Correct me if I am wrong, but he wasn't considered good enough to make the Finnish World Championship squad, correct?

Yes, you are correct. Mikko was behind at least Jarkko Immonen and Jari Viuhkola in the center depth chart. Then again Mikko was very strong in the spring and has a lot moe upside than Viuhkola for example. My guess is that Raimo Summanen knows something we don't. Maybe all the hard work Mikko has put in is finally starting to show. I never liked Pirnes anyway, so I have no problem with this choice.

Incredible

Raimo Summanen must really know something what we don`t. Tommi Santala, Jari Viuhkola, Jarkko Immonen, Petri Pakaslahti or even Raimo Helminen would have been my choices.

Shame that Antti Aalto is injured. Even the die-hard TPS/Koivu family fans cannot argue that Mikko is better player than he is.

Only positive thing here is that this create lot of good media coverage about Koivu bros. Maybe this was just a marketing stunt...

Last edited:

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
First, it's unlikely he'll dress. At center there is T. Ruutu, S. Koivu, N. Kapanen and Jokinen (in no particular order) ahead of him, and even if one of them plays wing, Eloranta or more likely Hahl can play center too.

Second, if he does, it'll be as a fourth line center. I think Summanen was looking for someone big, mobile, solid defencively and good on face-offs. Viuhkola doesn't fit, and for that role I'd take Koivu ahead of Immonen. Other options (Pakaslahti, Helminen, or even Kuki) lack speed.

kjri

Mar 18, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Don't forget Lasse Pirjetä. He would have been my choice. A proven player in the NHL, big and can score.
Koivu was better in the playoffs than Viuhkola or Immonen and Miettinen has done nothing in the NHL.

Anyway a bold choice from Summanen. That kind of attitude Finland needs.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
kjri said:
Anyway a bold choice from Summanen. That kind of attitude Finland needs.

I agree, but I see it could have been also winger who they choose. Jani Rita for example. Then Koivu, Jokinen, Kapanen and Hahl would have played as center. If some of those centers would have injured T.Ruutu could have been back up to play center position.

kjri said:
Don't forget Lasse Pirjetä. He would have been my choice. A proven player in the NHL, big and can score.
Koivu was better in the playoffs than Viuhkola or Immonen and Miettinen has done nothing in the NHL.

I don`t see Pirjetä that proven NHLer yet. Ok he had 12 games scoring stint in the end of the season, but his game seems to vary little to much depending of how his mood is. But when comparing who is better, Pirjetä or Koivu. I would say Pirjetä. When choosing player to World Cup I would prefer take Koivu. He is much younger and in the future he can develope to important player for our national team. It`s important to give young guys like Koivu opportunity to gain experience.

Koivu was definately better in the playoffs than Viuhkola, but did Viuhkola have somekind of groin injury during playoffs? So maybe Viuhkola wasn`t in best shape.
Also it is little unfair to compare Immonen and Koivu cause Immonen played 2 games in playoffs and Koivu 7 games. So Immonen didn`t have that much opportunity to show what he really can do.

I am not saying that they should have picked Immonen or viuhkola before Koivu to World Cup, but kjri maybe your comparisation wasn`t either that perfect.

Last edited:

md17

Well, it would be hard to argue why Mikko Koivu should be selected ahead of Immonen or Viuhkola based on how they played last season (other than size and physical play). However, like others have mentioned, he'll probably warm the bench in the press-box, which might actyally offer some explanation. Summanen might be thinking about his need for Finnish league players during the season in Euro-tournaments, and might thus have opted Koivu over Immonen or Viuhkola. No need to take them away from their league teams during the training season, if they aren't even going to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad