Player Discussion Filip Hronek - Pt. 2

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The narrative swings on Hronek are incredible.

I was not that high on Hronek pre-trade, have been consistent in critiquing his defensive play all season, and I've taken a lot a flak for it here. But now, I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

He was never going to be at the level of a Devon Toews. He was never going to be a high-end top-pairing defenseman. He is what he is, and he is a fairly effective top-four, mobile defenseman. Not a defensive stalwart.

Whether they re-sign him or trade him depends on the numbers involved, but it will be difficult to find a high-end, mobile, RD to plug into his place.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Whether they re-sign him or trade him depends on the numbers involved, but it will be difficult to find a high-end, mobile, RD to plug into his place.
Sign Tanev (not exactly mobile but whatever) and another #4-5 like the Soucy signing, in the hopes that Willander can fill-in in the next 1-2 years.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

I was not that high on Hronek pre-trade, have been consistent in critiquing his defensive play all season, and I've taken a lot a flak for it here. But now, I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

He was never going to be at the level of a Devon Toews. He was never going to be a high-end top-pairing defenseman. He is what he is, and he is a fairly effective top-four, mobile defenseman. Not a defensive stalwart.

To be fair - his play has taken a nosedive in the last few months so the criticism is definitely warranted.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

i still think they gave up too much for him and i think they should avoid giving him term if possible but the way the sentiment here went from top 30 dman to barely better than juulsen is absurd. he's an okay top 4 defender with some fairly obvious flaws. his performance hasn't really changed much in his 15 months here

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Sign Tanev (not exactly mobile but whatever) and another #4-5 like the Soucy signing, in the hopes that Willander can fill-in in the next 1-2 years.
That's what they would have to do, but neither Tanev nor whatever other 4/5 guy they can find will give them the creative element that Hronek and Hughes have together.

To be fair - his play has taken a nosedive in the last few months so the criticism is definitely warranted.
I don't think his defensive play has really declined at all. It's the same as it was. I was pointing out Hronek's defensive mistakes in November.

People are just noticing now because he isn't scoring the points to mask them.

i still think they gave up too much for him and i think they should avoid giving him term if possible but the way the sentiment here went from top 30 dman to barely better than juulsen is absurd. he's an okay top 4 defender with some fairly obvious flaws. his performance hasn't really changed much in his 15 months here
Bolded is exactly right. And that's been my position. Been people's opinions on him just swinging wildly though.

Reactions: DFAC

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
The disappointment of EP this series masked how pedestrian Hronek played this series. I argue that everyone in the back end stepped up their game in a big way, and Hronek was the only one that was left wanting, normally that is okay to be pedestrian in one 6 game series.

But the guy wants more money than Hughes.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
The disappointment of EP this series masked how pedestrian Hronek played this series. I argue that everyone in the back end stepped up their game in a big way, and Hronek was the only one that was left wanting, normally that is okay to be pedestrian in one 6 game series.

But the guy wants more money than Hughes.
Like Tocchet says

What happened in round 1 doesn’t matter now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad