Prospect Info: Filip Chytil (Pick #21 2017)

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The guy is paired with Nash and Zucc, but some still blame his linemates haha

He isn't ready, this isn't a blame AV, blame Nash, blame your mom game - he just isn't ready. He's 18, it is really, really, whatever.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Spending the month with the team is really good for him even in spite of playing time. He acclimates to the area (MSG, NY, the traveling), the team (front office, other players), the practices, the training, everything. It is invaluable for when he returns again next year.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Spending the month with the team is really good for him even in spite of playing time. He acclimates to the area (MSG, NY, the traveling), the team (front office, other players), the practices, the training, everything. It is invaluable for when he returns again next year.
No dude. Only ice-time during games matters. Duh. :naughty:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
“We made some adjustments there, moving him on a different line (with Vinni Lettieri and Cole Schneider),” Wolf Pack head coach Keith McCambridge said of Chytil, “and I felt there was a little more chemistry there, they were able to read off each other. When you watch him, after he did get that goal, just even more confidence in his game started to really shine through. Real top-end player, for a real young guy. Still some learning to go there, but I liked his game tonight.”

http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/news/detail/chytil-helps-pack-to-win-in-springfield

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I agree. He still probably has a little adjustment to make, even though he went through NYR training camp. Didn't go to Wolf Pack preseason or camp, so a little catch up will be needed to gel with linemates.

Seems like McCambridge knows what to do with him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd let this guy play at the WJC.

Let him get adjusted to the pro game in the AHL, let him dominate the AHL, let him go to the WJC and put up good point totals (Czech Republic might actually have a chance to win this year with Chytil, Necas, Zadina, Lauko, Skarek, Hajek), and then in January bring him in to the NHL team to resume his season. Let him get adjusted more to the league, maybe we are out of it at that point and can give him free ice time, and by next season he can play a key role.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Let him get adjusted to the pro game in the AHL, let him dominate the AHL, let him go to the WJC and put up good point totals (Czech Republic might actually have a chance to win this year with Chytil, Necas, Zadina, Lauko, Skarek, Hajek), and then in January bring him in to the NHL team to resume his season. Let him get adjusted more to the league, maybe we are out of it at that point and can give him free ice time, and by next season he can play a key role.

I can see AV/FO going into panic mode and calling him up pretty soon if he lights it up for a bit.

I'd rather he spend at least until December down there to see where hes at and call him up after the WJC ala Pasternak as well.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

If he doesn't dominate the AHL, which I doubt he will, are people going to call him a bust? He had an amazing 3 point game 2 nights ago but let's not expect point per game numbers from him (though i wish). He is the youngest player currently in the AHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he doesn't dominate the AHL, which I doubt he will, are people going to call him a bust? He had an amazing 3 point game 2 nights ago but let's not expect point per game numbers from him (though i wish). He is the youngest player currently in the AHL.

No, I wouldn't call him a bust, that makes no sense, but I don't think the expectation should be any worse than around 1PPG. If this guy is for real in the top tier of 2017 draft prospects like we think 4 months after the draft, that should be the expectation. He should be the best player down in Hartford, and I think he will be.

Look at recent kids his age in that league. I think what I'm asking is realistic, Filatov, Nylander and Pastrnak all did so. I'd hope he'd do more than players like Alex Nylander and Kevin Fiala. That's not bad, but if that's what he's showing, he might not even be having a better season than Andersson in a very similar caliber league and wouldn't be as far along as we thought. A player like Chyil should do really well in the AHL, it's not a high level, I think he'll score a lot of points down there.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No, I wouldn't call him a bust, that makes no sense, but I don't think the expectation should be any worse than around 1PPG. If this guy is for real in the top tier of 2017 draft prospects like we think 4 months after the draft, that should be the expectation. He should be the best player down in Hartford, and I think he will be.

Look at recent kids his age in that league. I think what I'm asking is realistic, Filatov, Nylander and Pastrnak all did so. I'd hope he'd do more than players like Alex Nylander and Kevin Fiala. That's not bad, but if that's what he's showing, he might not even be having a better season than Andersson in a very similar caliber league and wouldn't be as far along as we thought. A player like Chyil should do really well in the AHL, it's not a high level, I think he'll score a lot of points down there.

I remember people calling Kovacs a bust because he didn't perform at the AHL level as one of the youngest players in the league last season..

Obviously things have changed since, but calling him a bust during the season last year was pretty funny.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York

I agree that the assumption that Chytil will "dominate" the AHL isn't necessarily well founded, but Pastrnak did put up 28 points in 25 AHL games in his draft+1 year. It can be done.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Two of the key things I've seen with Chytil this year, as compared to last year, are confidence and assertiveness.

Last year, there were times when I'm not sure Chytil embraced just how good he could be. He was tentative at times, which is understandable considering his age and the league he was in. But he also would sometimes play with a level of uncertainty against guys within his age range. In that sense, he reminded me a lot of Anisimov in his draft year.

This year he knows how good he can be, he's seen how he looks and feels against NHL competition and that's given him confidence. He's asserting himself more and he has a little swagger to him, in a good way. Frankly, both he and Andersson have that in common and I think it's going to serve both of them really well.

For Chytil, I'm less worried about points and more focused on progress. He's going to get experience, he's going to get ice time, he's going to have to learn to adjust and overcome, he's going to get bigger and stronger, and he's going to get noticed. If he plays 60 games and puts up 40-50 points, but he grows and matures and progresses, that's a huge success.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Two of the key things I've seen with Chytil this year, as compared to last year, are confidence and assertiveness.

Last year, there were times when I'm not sure Chytil embraced just how good he could be. He was tentative at times, which is understandable considering his age and the league he was in. But he also would sometimes play with a level of uncertainty against guys within his age range. In that sense, he reminded me a lot of Anisimov in his draft year.

This year he knows how good he can be, he's seen how he looks and feels against NHL competition and that's given him confidence. He's asserting himself more and he has a little swagger to him, in a good way. Frankly, both he and Andersson have that in common and I think it's going to serve both of them really well.

For Chytil, I'm less worried about points and more focused on progress. He's going to get experience, he's going to get ice time, he's going to have to learn to adjust and overcome, he's going to get bigger and stronger, and he's going to get noticed. If he plays 60 games and puts up 40-50 points, but he grows and matures and progresses, that's a huge success.

If he puts up 50-60 points as the youngest player in the AHL I will be THRILLED. Only 4 rookies put up over 50 points last season in the AHL (three 22 year olds, and a 20 year old)

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Let this kid develop like he should. I'm no expert in which league he should be in besides the NHL at this point (czech league or ahl or wherever) but don't ruin this kid by force feeding him nhl minutes if hes not nhl ready.
Don't ruin him like Marc Bergevin , Michel Therrien and Claude Julien have seemingly ruined AG.
I think we have to show some patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->