OT: FIFA World Cup 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Usually the host team automatically makes the World Cup, but if it's a joint venture between U.S & Canada, I guess U.S gets in and we just get some games?

It would be freaking awesome to have games played in Canada. It would be nice if we got in by merit. *Sigh*

Hopefully, Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton & Vancouver all get at least one game.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Usually the host team automatically makes the World Cup, but if it's a joint venture between U.S & Canada, I guess U.S gets in and we just get some games?

It would be freaking awesome to have games played in Canada. It would be nice if we got in by merit. *Sigh*

When more than one country is hosting. Automatic qualifiers are at FIFA discretion. Japan and SK were both automatic. With expansion to 48 countries in 2026, 3 automatic is still reasonable.

Hype around hosting games in 2026 could inspire a few to take the sport more seriously. Lets win the bid before worrying about that!

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

I think it's already confirmed the cities would be Montreal, Edmonton and Toronto.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Yeah, these are said to be the only suitable venues (with BMO field expansion) in Canada to host World Cup group stage games.

Vancouver (or BC) dropped due to excessive FIFA financial expectations.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For those interested, here is the live stream of the FIFA Congress:

Man, that was one of the most boring announcements ever. Congrats on Canada-USA-Mexico winning the bid. And now we won’t hear the end of it from Marinaro.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Yes!!

I think we have a legit shot to qualify in 2022 but this is awesome. I dreamed my whole life of seeing Canada play in the World Cup. Sure it will be a watered down version but I don't care! :laugh:

Reactions: Be a Hab

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Man, that was one of the most boring announcements ever. Congrats on Canada-USA-Mexico winning the bid. And now we won’t hear the end of it from Marinaro.

The lady explaining the voting process took so long and was so boring. And then the announcement was so anticlimactic. Infantino didn't even build the announcement. He just said it as soon as she finished.

I'm friggin' stoked!!! Even if it'll be just one or two games in Montreal. It'll be one hell of an experience for the city.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
DfkbRGsW4AEgwur

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Oh, Spain. What are you doing

I guess they weren't happy that the coach accepted to be the next coach at Real Madrid. Upset to the point they won't let the chemistry he built with this squad at least run through the World Cup and then replace him afterward for their road to Euro 2020.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I guess they weren't happy that the coach accepted to be the next coach at Real Madrid. Upset to the point they won't let the chemistry he built with this squad at least run through the World Cup and then replace him afterward for their road to Euro 2020.

Might help Portugal, so yeah. I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad