FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Sepp Blatter Quits

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Didn't know where else to put this but Chuck Blazer has passed away tonight, one of the key men involved in the fall of Blatter few years ago

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
good, now Jack Warner can die next, then Blatter, then Platini, then Bin..., basically everyone in power in soccer the last 25 years can die

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It has nothing to do with PSG but with Be In Sport.

Bribes for TV rights. Who would have thought?

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
It has nothing to do with PSG but with Be In Sport.

Bribes for TV rights. Who would have thought?

That's purely a political move instigated by some gulf countries anti-qatar most probably. I know Saudi Arabia and UAE have been trying to block Bein Sports arabic to be broadcast across arab countries. Bein Sports belongs to aljazeera (qatar) and they basically own the major top 5 leagues rights + CL + UEFA + Euro + Copa america + World Cup. Basically they own everything football related. The Saudis are trying to destroy it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Could be Saudis, but let's be real, any TV that has rights for basically everything is automatic bribing in today's world. That's how it works and doesn't make NEK any less guilty. But common with his peers, that's for sure.

But I do find it funny every media source is presenting it as PSG president is under bribes investigation, while it should be BIS president is under bribes investigation.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Could be Saudis, but let's be real, any TV that has rights for basically everything is automatic bribing in today's world. That's how it works and doesn't make NEK any less guilty. But common with his peers, that's for sure.

But I do find it funny every media source is presenting it as PSG president is under bribes investigation, while it should be BIS president is under bribes investigation.
The article says Al-Khelaifi is the chairman of BeIn? So, what's the difference?

Isn't Al-Khelaifi close to the Emir? I didn't know BeIn was owned by Qatar, but if that's the case, I can't imagine there's much daylight between it, Al-Khelaifi, and the royal family, i.e. the World Cup.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The article says Al-Khelaifi is the chairman of BeIn? So, what's the difference?

Isn't Al-Khelaifi close to the Emir? I didn't know BeIn was owned by Qatar, but if that's the case, I can't imagine there's much daylight between it, Al-Khelaifi, and the royal family, i.e. the World Cup.
You can't see the problem? Really?

If your title is BIS chairman suspected of bribary, it's true and the point of the article.
If your title is PSG chairman suspected of bribary, EVERY football fan will think of something different before reading the article (which no more than 50% of internet readers do anyway).

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
http://resources.fifa.com/mm/docume...mentguarantees_17-03136_101_en_en_neutral.pdf

1. Government Guarantee #1: Visas, permits, immigration, check-in procedures
  2. Government Guarantee #2: Entitlement to work permits & labour law exemptions and procedures
  3. Government Guarantee #3: Tax exemptions and foreign exchange undertakings
  4. Government Guarantee #4: Safety and security
  5. Government Guarantee #5: Protection and exploitation of commercial rights
  6. Government Guarantee #6: Telecommunications and information technology
  7. Government Guarantee #7: Waiver, indemnification and other legal issues
  8. The Government Declaration
Enjoy hosting the WC, Morocco.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Gulf politics are messed up
A plan for the United Arab Emirates to wage financial war against its Gulf rival Qatar was found in the task folder of an email account belonging to UAE Ambassador to the United States Yousef al-Otaiba and subsequently obtained by The Intercept.
The economic warfare involved an attack on Qatar’s currency using bond and derivatives manipulation. The plan, laid out in a slide deck provided to The Intercept through the group Global Leaks, was aimed at tanking Qatar’s economy, according to documents drawn up by a bank outlining the strategy.
The outline, prepared by Banque Havilland, a private Luxembourg-based bank owned by the family of controversial British financier David Rowland, laid out a scheme to drive down the value of Qatar’s bonds and increase the cost of insuring them, with the ultimate goal of creating a currency crisis that would drain the country’s cash reserves.

WHILE THE SCHEME itself would be an ambitious undertaking, the goal is ultimately petty: It’s about soccer.
One of the plan’s stated aims is forcing Qatar to share soccer’s 2022 World Cup, according to the outline. The strategy laid out in the document calls for using a public relations campaign to point the international soccer body FIFA to Qatar’s dwindling cash reserves, making a case that the small Persian Gulf monarchy can’t afford to build the necessary infrastructure.

Leaked Documents Expose Stunning Plan to Wage Financial War on Qatar — and Steal the World Cup

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
When this all came out in May 2015 I was celebrating the American feds for busting this open. Get those damn crooks. Well, A lot has gone on since then, and let’s just say corruption lectures aren’t appropriate from this yank these days.

HomerSimpsonbacksintothebushes.gif

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
thisismyshockedface

Really though, from the second it was awarded everyone knew it was dirty as hell. There's no chance they'll actually change it though, it's far too close to the actual tournament to realistically change and there's too much advertising money on the line to cancel it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Platini or not it's obvious it was bought.
However I'm still surprised people are acting as if it's something new.
How do you think France or Germany got theirs?

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad