FHL River Drivers Suspend Operations

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I would love to see the finances of FHL teams and their owners.

It's a ridiculous model that doesn't come close to working. How it continues to survive in any form raises my curiosity and sinister view of humanity:laugh:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I would love to see the finances of FHL teams and their owners.

It's a ridiculous model that doesn't come close to working. How it continues to survive in any form raises my curiosity and sinister view of humanity:laugh:

[MOD]

Sadly you will never get to SSE them and I'm sure they just use it as a tax write off.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
Pretty sure I remember seeing a deleted scene from Breaking Bad where Saul tells Walt that he can either invest in an FHL team or a car wash to launder his money.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
If I theoretically wanted to buy/run an FHL franchise, would that be a horrible financial decision?

Very terrible. But if you have zillions of dollars, it could be a good toy to play.

Pretty sure I remember seeing a deleted scene from Breaking Bad where Saul tells Walt that he can either invest in an FHL team or a car wash to launder his money.

No way! Really?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
[MOD]

Sadly you will never get to SEE them and I'm sure they just use it as a tax write off.
I see people say this a lot, but it doesn't make sense. If you have 1 million dollars and you have to pay $600,000 of it in taxes you still have $400,000 left that you could buy a sports car, or a house, or whatever with. If you spend that $1 million running a hockey team that loses money, you don't have to pay taxes on the losses, so you won't have the $600,000 tax bill, but you also won't have the $400,000 left over in your pocket either. There is no way to come out ahead with the "tax deduction" reason for owning a team. Unless you would rather have less money in your pocket, just so some of it goes to hockey players and other costs instead of to the government. People own hockey teams that lose money for two reasons. 1 - they think are smart enough to not lose money, or 2 - they get enjoyment out of it. There is never a financial advantage to owning a business that loses money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad