FGC Discussion Thread

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Now that the EVO 2018 lineup has been published, I think it's time we actually start a thread on the FGC and its competitive scene.

The big storylines:
- MvCI got snubbed and will NOT be a major event at EVO 2018, so no "when's mahvel" for the first time since 2000. Another slap in the face for MvCI after losing its spot on the Capcom Pro Tour.
- Melee not only refuses to die (Suck it, rest of the FGC!), but even receives a Sunday spot for its finals. Gotta get that ad revenue somehow.
- Dragon Ball FighterZ wins over everyone's heart, immediately being a major event and even receiving a Sunday spot.
- BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle isn't even released yet and already has a spot as a major title (again, over MvCI).

In other words:

3 anime fighters, 2 Smash Bros titles, hell has frozen over.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I guess I am a noob... what's FGC? I did google it and I don't think Florida Gateway College is what is being talked about here. :laugh:

Looks like a fighting game tournament... or... Fighting Game Championship? How does it work? Who is involved? And where is Mortal Kombat X?

I was pretty damn good with MK9 and MKX. Kitana is my best player.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I guess I am a noob... what's FGC? I did google it and I don't think Florida Gateway College is what is being talked about here. :laugh:

Looks like a fighting game tournament... or... Fighting Game Championship? How does it work? Who is involved? And where is Mortal Kombat X?

I was pretty damn good with MK9 and MKX. Kitana is my best player.
FGC is the abbreviation for "Fighting Game Community". It's usually used as an umbrella term for the player base of classic fighters like Tekken, Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat and "anime fighters" like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear. In recent years, the Smash Bros community kinda dragged themselves into it as well, but there really is basically no overlap between the Smash 4 players, the Melee players and the other FGC players, so I still like to think of them as different communities. Some of the larger FGC events also host Smash tournaments these days, so they kinda sorta belong anyway.

The EVO series is an annual FGC tournament in Vegas. It's the largest fighting game tournament in the world with thousands of entrants for the bigger titles and viewership peaks of 200k+ concurrent viewers.

MKX isn't really represented as a major event this year, but Injustice 2 is by the same developers and features some fighters from the MK titles.

Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Right on. Thank you for that explanation. Looks like it would be fun to check out. Never was a fan of Injustice so I never played I2.

Reactions: TheNeutrality

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Right on. Thank you for that explanation. Looks like it would be fun to check out. Never was a fan of Injustice so I never played I2.
I can definitely recommend to check it out. It's always good for some insanely hype moments.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

What was it? If it was the controls I say pick up 2. If it was characters/story I’m not sure. Story is way easier to follow though

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
What was it? If it was the controls I say pick up 2. If it was characters/story I’m not sure. Story is way easier to follow though
I am not a big comic-book guy to begin with but I loved the MK(9) remake and was actually excited for Injustice. The story actually didn't bother me. It just wasn't exciting to me. Felt a lot different than MK and I was basically expecting MK but with comic book hero's.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I am not a big comic-book guy to begin with but I loved the MK(9) remake and was actually excited for Injustice. The story actually didn't bother me. It just wasn't exciting to me. Felt a lot different than MK and I was basically expecting MK but with comic book hero's.

I hate the clash system (at least vs the ai). It’s annoying cause it happens EVERY match. That’s really my only critique with it

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I hate the clash system (at least vs the ai). It’s annoying cause it happens EVERY match. That’s really my only critique with it
So I ended up getting I2 on sale lol.

I think I am about to beat it

I just picked Batman after beating Brainac and I had to go. I may finish the game soon.

Surprisingly I am really digging the story. I think Catwoman has been my favorite hero to play. I did a couple single matches vs the CPU just for fun and I had fun with Dr. Fate as well.

Reactions: Bruce Joker

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
As someone who has always loved Fighting Games but never really had the patience to sit down and master them I have to say that FighterZ has been a really refreshing game. Fast paced, not an overly high skillcap, great animation and, to me, it's one of the only DBZ games I've felt has a really authentic feel to it. I've really enjoyed it so far (even if the storymode is a boring grind).

SimonGreenleaf

Nov 3, 2018
Hello!

I write here because I just want to express my genuine love for the FGC and it's games. I have always loved fighting games since I was a little kid when I started playing Street Fighter 2 on SNES. Since then I have shared many moments with other people because of fighting games. There's something special about playing each other IRL on fighting games. The bottom line is: Fighting Games Are Great. But we all knew that of course.
Anyways, the FGC is amazing and I felt like I wanted to contribute with something, I have never been a good fighting game player so I made a song in honor of the FGC instead. It’s inspired by retro fighting gaming music mostly and secondly by my personal music taste (in this case, fusion and psybient artists). I had an amazing time doing it and I hope you enjoy it aswell! :) Long live the FGC! <3

Here’s the link to it on youtube:

I will probably do a few more songs with the theme of fighting games and upload them to youtub for those who are interested.
/Simon Greenleaf

Reactions: TheNeutrality

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I really like keeping an eye out for the Street Fighter stuff, but haven't been able to take any of the other games seriously, personally. Smash and that Dragonball game in particular, I've never been a fan of. I prefer that more understated, simplistic, heady feel over never-ending juggles and crap flying all over the screen (not denying the skill of course).

SimonGreenleaf

Nov 3, 2018
Hello again!

I made another song, a dubstep edition of Ken's theme. Youtube blocks it from some countries though.

Here the link:

Happy fighting :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad