Speculation: Ferland, Bennett and Lazar need new contracts (Ferland has filed for arb.)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ferly the Burly is great and all, but he had 25 points last year. I am not overly worried about his arbitration rights.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Ferly the Burly is great and all, but he had 25 points last year. I am not overly worried about his arbitration rights.

The real scary thing is that was actually good for 52nd in scoring among RW's, last year....brutal!

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

Have to agree with this; Arbitrators are notoriously stat focused and Ferly doesn't look great on paper. The bad side is that we could only get a one year deal out of it and he could explode next year if he gets the top line treatment a lot are expecting.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
2.5m x 4yrs would be fair. Would buy two unrestricted years; keep him around until the age of 29, so basically the bulk of his prime.

But I'm guessing the Flames would rather save 500-600K now and pay 1-2M more down the road if it came to that.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
It's like some oilf you learned nothing from the Bouma contract

:shakehead They don't compare at all. Bouma rode an insanely high PDO and oiSH% in 2014-15. Everyone knew he was gonna crash and burn. Same cannot be said for Ferland.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Reposting because some people just can't let go of their hangups

Brad Treliving said:
  • Ferland's a unique player; can be dominant at times; one of a few guys that combine size and skill
  • "What's underrated about Micheal is his skill; he's a skilled guy. He's got an excellent shot, skilled hands..."
  • Challenge for Ferland is consistency; they'll get a contract done, if nothing else arbitration will get it done
  • "I look at Micheal as a unique player who could have a real impact for us. I'm excited...I think he's scratching the surface of what he can attain. He's an important player for us."

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Ferland is not a bum like Bouma

but he is also not the next allstar like some people believe. So far he has been good for about 20 games a year

Short prove it contract is what he should get.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I am of the opinion that Ferland is gonna be really, really good. But I also know nothing's a sure thing, and that giving him term right now is not smart. He should get 2.5 x 2 until he proves he's a guy we need long term.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I am of the opinion that Ferland is gonna be really, really good. But I also know nothing's a sure thing, and that giving him term right now is not smart. .

Actually, giving him term right now, while he's not a sure thing, and two years away from UFA, is very smart. If every player on your roster is signed to a "no risk" contract, no one will outperform their deals. You need players playing above their pay grade to have the overall talent to contend.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
normally, i'd want to trade ferland now but if we trade him you just know they'll be desperate for size and that can't end well. At least he's a good player and I don't think his contributions are that much overrated, relative to other big guys

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It's like some oilf you learned nothing from the Bouma contract

I think you have an actual subconscious bias against Ferland, because he's been significantly better than Bouma since he made the NHL. Bouma had a single good season that all of us analytics loving nerds predicted would be a fluke, and he got a contract 2x larger than he should have as a result.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Fast just re-signed for 3 years and 1.85m. No way should Ferland be making much more than that

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't hate the idea of Ferland signed to the Bouma contract, for 4 years. I think he's slightly better than Kassian and it buys an extra UFA year. Other than a handful of guys, I don't think he's anyone's ideal 1st liner. I think it's important to keep in mind where he'll eventually be playing, once we kind a long term solution. Anything over Bouma's 2.2/season and I won't be happy.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Ferland's WHL, AHL and NHL PPG is higher than Bouma's before he got paid. But really, not by a large extent and he did benefit from a very high shooting% himself last year.

Based on a bunch of datas I guessed in February Ferland was going to get 1.85M$ x 1. It still kind of makes sense.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Fast just re-signed for 3 years and 1.85m. No way should Ferland be making much more than that

Agreed, Fast, Kassian and Connolly are all pretty good comparables with age and production. I could see it being slightly higher, if we get the extra year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->