Fehr helps rebuild NHL union

druncan

Mar 8, 2006
the city
as a die-hard baseball fan, believe me--the last thing you want is an NHLPA that resembles the MLBPA. It's closer to a mafia than a union.

the only good thing the MLBPA has done in the last 20 years is convert me to a full-fledged hockey fan. if the NHLPA goes down the same path, who knows where i'll end up. lacrosse has always been a fun sport to watch...

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'm not exactly sure how Donald Fehr having a talk with the NHLPA can be accurately construed as, "Fehr helps rebuild NHL union."

As mentioned, the MLBPA has become its own monster, largely rendering the MLB Commissioner useless when it comes to actually disciplining players for breaking the rules. Hell, the last time the two sides negotiated a CBA the biggest issue for the players was what they were going to give the owners - because they already had pretty much everything.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
NHL owners do not = MLB owners. Until there is a television contract pumping limitless cash into the NHL coffers like there is in baseball we have little to worry about. MLB owners are terrified of losing a season as they are scared to death of killing the cash cow that they have built and all have huge obligations that need to be met salary wise. The union in baseball has the owners by their collective balls. We have little to worry about that happening in hockey.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
NHL owners do not = MLB owners. Until there is a television contract pumping limitless cash into the NHL coffers like there is in baseball we have little to worry about. MLB owners are terrified of losing a season as they are scared to death of killing the cash cow that they have built and all have huge obligations that need to be met salary wise. The union in baseball has the owners by their collective balls. We have little to worry about that happening in hockey.

Sure, we don't. If it wasn't for a coup in the leadership of the union, the work stoppage easily would have spilled into a second season. A group of morons in the PA, that were partially responsible for the mess, are back in control after teaching Saskin his "lesson" for saving their jobs. And they're talking to Fehr. And Tselios
is pumped up for another fight against his mortal enemy Gary Bettman. He's made all the money he can out of hockey, what does he care if he blows the whole thing up?

The union is a total unadulterated mess, but that's not necessarily a good thing. The vacuum will be pretty easy to fill. There was alot of indifference in the Saskin situation, who's to say there won't be the same amount of indifference should a hawk be brought in as a puppet for hardline players?

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
as a union member for almost 20 years, i 've got to say that i dont consider these sports guys to be like a union as i know it. they all negotiate their own contracts. the unions i've been in all negotiated one contract for everyone. the nhl players definitely need some form of protection( they were really getting screwed by the reserve clause) but how are we fans supposed to support them if they strike after the cba runs out ?they're ( in some cases multi) millionaires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad