TV: Fear The Walking Dead

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
You have it right. They took the body from the house to the barn in the truck, and later Madison went and chopped the head off to give to Walker as part of her deal.

What I cant figure out why bother putting in the barn? Why not bury it? Unless the boys are in on the deal and they want to prevent the rest of the people at the ranch from knowing whats actually happening?

Anyways, have to think the next arc will involve walkers taking down the ranch. They were pretty much a non-factor for the first half.

Maybe they'll make the ranch and the reservation team up to stop a herd.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What I cant figure out why bother putting in the barn? Why not bury it? Unless the boys are in on the deal and they want to prevent the rest of the people at the ranch from knowing whats actually happening?

Anyways, have to think the next arc will involve walkers taking down the ranch. They were pretty much a non-factor for the first half.

Maybe they'll make the ranch and the reservation team up to stop a herd.

I'm guessing they are going to have a funeral? That's what I assume anyways.

I definitely can't see the Walker and ranch confrontation being over like you said.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Last time I was in this thread, I remember everyone complaining how terrible this show was.

I've been more impressed with it than all but 3 or 4 episodes of last season of the original series. They're making these episodes really good, as I'm sure they probably have a pretty good idea that this series won't last more than 5 or 6 seasons. Whereas the original Walking Dead has been talking about going on until season 12 or seasons 15 and 16 or whatever. I don't think this show is better than the original, but I would say much of it has been better than season 7 of The Walking Dead.

The one thing that was a little annoying is how they did a stupid fake out death for Daniel Salazar, like Glenn from the original series. Then they bring him back almost an entire full season later and he's only been in 3 episodes since over a year ago. I really just didn't wanna see him again after he had been gone for so long, but it was announced that he was alive and would be back this season. I really like the character, I think he's become my favorite and I enjoyed him before the stupid fake out death too. So I do enjoy seeing him back. He's badass.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The second half was much better than the first. I really enjoyed the scene with Strand talking to the cosmonaut on the International Space Station. One of my favourite scenes over both of the shows. It was very cool and explored so many themes.

Walker is a great character. Charismatic, principled, morally ambiguous but there is a good reason for everything he does. The one thing Walking Dead does well is making good and compelling villains, although I hate thinking of Walker as a villain. He's in the right.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The second half was much better than the first. I really enjoyed the scene with Strand talking to the cosmonaut on the International Space Station. One of my favourite scenes over both of the shows. It was very cool and explored so many themes.

Walker is a great character. Charismatic, principled, morally ambiguous but there is a good reason for everything he does. The one thing Walking Dead does well is making good and compelling villains, although I hate thinking of Walker as a villain. He's in the right.

Hes still scalping people. That makes him a villian. In the right or not that is cruel and torturous.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I agree, I loved that scene. One of the best in either series yet so simple.

I have no idea how you determined that he's in the right based on the information given. What we have been told is that Jeremiah legally purchased his ranch from Walker's tribe, likely for less than it was worth as they wanted quick cash, but still legally purchased. Walker spent a lot of time trying to get the land back from the Otto's, but was regularly defeated in court by Jake. Jeremiah and his close group of founders are racist pieces of **** that murdered tribesman, including Walker's father, for making trouble on his ranch among other things. Walker in the post-apocalypse has decided to take the ranch by force, and has shot down a helicopter, scalped people, sawed off the top of a man's skull and left him tied up to have his brain eaten by crows, poisoned people with anthrax, and threatened to attack the ranch multiple times. He's a racist who gave a speech to Alicia about how non-Native Americans will be purged from the earth for his people to take over. This hardly describes someone who is right or a good character, he's as morally ambiguous and as much of an antagonist as Jeremiah was.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
I heard about the hype this season of Fear was getting, so I decided to watch that last couple of episodes. A definite improvement on Fear, but I still don't think its near as good as even this past season of TWD. The main characters are still the same, I don't like them near as much as TWD cast, regardless of the plot going on around them. As for the plot, its ok, and they're trying to do something different so I do give them credit. But it jumps around way too much with no build-up. For example, that scene where Madison and company just show up at Walker's compound and blow stuff up and take his trailer, there was no build up to that confrontation, it just happened out of the blue and then they're back on the ranch with the trailer in tow. Sort of the same thing with Ophelia poisoning the troops on the ranch, just the way they're cutting and filming these scenes makes the whole thing seem disjointed and rushed.

We'll see moving forward, like I said, its an improvement but I'm still not invested nearly enough in these characters to really care one way or the other.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I'm guessing they are going to have a funeral? That's what I assume anyways.

I definitely can't see the Walker and ranch confrontation being over like you said.

I agree with this. All they have is a truck box of bottled water. In what looks to be a very dry area this is not going to last long, making the ranch a viable target to take over as it has fences, wells and medical supplies. I haven't actually done a body count but you would think each side has lost to many people in their skirmishes and the anthrax incident which would create to much hostility and hatred towards the other side to actually come together and work together.

Also, Walker came off as a character who would of preferred to do the dirty work himself on Mr. Otto and not just have a prize handed to him. He also stated to Madison or her daughter (I cant recall at the moment) that he was going to kill the two sons.

Overall though this has been a solid offering thus far.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I heard about the hype this season of Fear was getting, so I decided to watch that last couple of episodes. A definite improvement on Fear, but I still don't think its near as good as even this past season of TWD. The main characters are still the same, I don't like them near as much as TWD cast, regardless of the plot going on around them. As for the plot, its ok, and they're trying to do something different so I do give them credit. But it jumps around way too much with no build-up. For example, that scene where Madison and company just show up at Walker's compound and blow stuff up and take his trailer, there was no build up to that confrontation, it just happened out of the blue and then they're back on the ranch with the trailer in tow. Sort of the same thing with Ophelia poisoning the troops on the ranch, just the way they're cutting and filming these scenes makes the whole thing seem disjointed and rushed.

We'll see moving forward, like I said, its an improvement but I'm still not invested nearly enough in these characters to really care one way or the other.

agreed. I was thinking in my head, how the heck did they just magically sneak into the compound during the rescue and the trailer stealing??! you would think Walker who is running his group like an army would have some sentries/lookouts on the outskirts as they have no fence to protect them from walkers.

the only character I still don't really care for is Madison. I think they did a good job advancing the characters this season and adding some more character depth with the Ottos and walker.

I liked how Travis took a step forward and gained some depth. was disappointing to see the show off him.

#shouldhavebeenmadison

411CBA0700000578-0-image-m-80_1496648222886.jpg

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So you watched the last couple of episodes but complain about a lack of build up? What...

This half season of Fear was easily better than season 7 of TWD. It's not even close imo, as season 7 was awful.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Just finished watching the last 3 episodes. Madison is easily one of the most unlikable characters on TV right now. :thumbd:

She started showing a little bit more emotion but she in general is potrayed very dry and her facial expressions all look the same

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Just finished watching the last 3 episodes. Madison is easily one of the most unlikable characters on TV right now. :thumbd:

She started showing a little bit more emotion but she in general is potrayed very dry and her facial expressions all look the same

Could not agree more - in every scene she looks like she's thinking " once I'm done here I really need to get to the bathroom " .

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I was looking forward to it after a solid second season.

I fast forwarded through half of the season premiere. Very disappointed. Extremely stupid characters, especially her.

I guess you can skin people alive and still be buddies afterward.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I watched it, it was ok. A bit slow and boring at times, but a lot of first episodes in seasons have a lot of set up and not much action. I was hoping for a bit more stuff in Mexican bartertown, but it looks like that whole segment was about them finding out about the dam so that Madison can eventually get back together with Daniel.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The bazaar was both amazing and a lost opportunity. It's something that we should have seen in the regular Walking Dead. But it merely served as a plot device to reunite Madison with Strand and provide drama/tension. For the first time ever in Walking Dead, I got then post-apocalyptic feeling I get from Fallout, Mad Max, etc. But as quickly as it came in it went away.

I have no idea how you determined that he's in the right based on the information given. What we have been told is that Jeremiah legally purchased his ranch from Walker's tribe, likely for less than it was worth as they wanted quick cash, but still legally purchased. Walker spent a lot of time trying to get the land back from the Otto's, but was regularly defeated in court by Jake. Jeremiah and his close group of founders are racist pieces of **** that murdered tribesman, including Walker's father, for making trouble on his ranch among other things. Walker in the post-apocalypse has decided to take the ranch by force, and has shot down a helicopter, scalped people, sawed off the top of a man's skull and left him tied up to have his brain eaten by crows, poisoned people with anthrax, and threatened to attack the ranch multiple times. He's a racist who gave a speech to Alicia about how non-Native Americans will be purged from the earth for his people to take over. This hardly describes someone who is right or a good character, he's as morally ambiguous and as much of an antagonist as Jeremiah was.

The ranch said they bought it legally. The show is building on themes of indigenous/settler conflict, and if you know anything about it there are very few cases of legal land transfer, especially in the Western United States. Walker was fighting a war against a group who very much would have killed them all if they could. Now he's actually trying to keep the peace. He's not the villain.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The bazaar was both amazing and a lost opportunity. It's something that we should have seen in the regular Walking Dead. But it merely served as a plot device to reunite Madison with Strand and provide drama/tension. For the first time ever in Walking Dead, I got then post-apocalyptic feeling I get from Fallout, Mad Max, etc. But as quickly as it came in it went away.

The ranch said they bought it legally. The show is building on themes of indigenous/settler conflict, and if you know anything about it there are very few cases of legal land transfer, especially in the Western United States. Walker was fighting a war against a group who very much would have killed them all if they could. Now he's actually trying to keep the peace. He's not the villain.

Good guys always scalp their victims alive. It's in the good guy handbook. Scalp your victims.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I never said he was the villain. You said he was "in the right" and were painting him in a pretty positive light. The point I was making was that he isn't strictly a good or bad guy, he has many shades of grey like most of the characters on FTWD right now.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Good guys always scalp their victims alive. It's in the good guy handbook. Scalp your victims.

It's good guy tactic number one. Tried, tested and true it is.

I never said he was the villain. You said he was "in the right" and were painting him in a pretty positive light. The point I was making was that he isn't strictly a good or bad guy, he has many shades of grey like most of the characters on FTWD right now.

And I didn't say he's strictly a good/bad guy. I just said he's in the right over the conflict. The portrayal of him in the first two episodes seems to suggest that the producers want viewers to have a positive view of Walker. Him and Madison might have a budding romance to boot (poor Walker).

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Troy should not have survived that episode

You just know he'll be back and will cause problems or kill someone. Seems they are having Madison learn the hard way the same way Rick had to learn this lesson. You don't let people like this go, you kill them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->