Fear and panic take over HFBoards

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn_kemp*

It all started this morning when Canada scored only one single goal in the 1st period against Italy. 15 minutes later things had even gotten worse as Italy tied Canada 1-1!!! :eek: Everyone was like "oh my Gosh, Pat Quinn can't coach, Crosby and Staal should have been on the team, Draper is horrible", and so on. Goodbye Canada's gold medal hopes!

Then it was the Czechs' turn to freak out. The 1st period ended with Germany leading the way 1-0!!! Hasek got injured, the Germans had scored, and every Czech fan thought the Olympics were already over for them! Jagr was naturally accused of underachieving in big events and also of playing only for the money. :speechles

The biggest upset of the day (which is, as a matter of fact, the smallest surprise of the day) : Slovakia takes down the Russians 5-3. And now we hear that the Russians are not playing as a team, that the coach doesn't know his job, whereas those same people were praising Russia's beautiful combinations and great scoring chances until the 56th minute of the 3rd ... or at least the end of the 2nd period. Yeah, it's St. Petersburg 2000 version 2.0!!! :cry:

And finally, an earthquake of the highest magnitude shakes the US!!! 3-3 tie against Latvia, a team that iced only 2 NHLers (one of whom is currently in a substance abuse program)!!!!! The US are definetly going to finish 6th in group B now, and will get outscored by at least 5 or 6 goals by Sweden and Slovakia (maybe even Kazakhstan)!!! :sarcasm:

But did anyone actually notice that we're only 1 game into the tournament? That about half of the NHL players arrived yesterday, on the day of the 1st and only practice? Did anyone notice that many of these players have never played together before?

Please don't make any conclusions so early. After all, if a bad performance in an opening match is so significant, I wonder how Canada managed to win the Gold medal in 2002?

Fact : Canada and the Czech Republic lost on their way to gold in 98 and 2002!!!

Keep faith and enjoy the show!!! ;)

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
I admire your optimism, but keep three things in mind:

The Czechs lost to Finland and had some guy named Hasek in the nets.

The Canadians lost to Sweden and had some guy named Brodeur in the nets after that game.

The United States tied Latvia and has John Grahame in the nets.

shawn_kemp*

sabresrat said:

The Canadians lost to Sweden and had some guy named Brodeur in the nets after that game.

Ok.

Brodeur then beats Germany 3-2 ... great.

Brodeur ties the Czechs 3-3 ... fantastic.

Jazz

sabresrat said:

The Czechs lost to Finland and had some guy named Hasek in the nets.

The United States tied Latvia and has John Grahame in the nets.
Actually, they lost 2-1 to Russia in that year's preliminary round... :teach:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Most American hockey fans were waiting for this. None of us are freaking out. I didn't think Latvia would win, but I'm also not shocked this ended in a tie. The other 6 countries have fans that are more apt to be jumping off bridges if they needed to score in the 3rd just to get a tie.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I'd argue that all of the fear and panic was due to the top 50 prospects list ;)

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
Phil333 said:
The only people who should be freaking out are the Czechs because of Hasek's injury.

I don't think they have much to worry about. Many people thought Vokoun should be starting ahead of Hasek anyways.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Phil333 said:
The only people who should be freaking out are the Czechs because of Hasek's injury.

Why? They have Vokoun. He'd be starting for any other team not called Canada

blamebettman*

Phil333 said:

yes because Tomas Vokoun is a terrible goaltender :shakehead

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Kazahstan's fans are the only ones not freaking out.

Those people are made of steel, I am telling you :teach:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Typical HF Knee Jerk

Maybe it's just me but USA has had this coming for a while. They're sitting on a hiccup of over-the-top talent that's either too old to make the kind of profound impact that a Hasek or a Sakic might, or they're knee deep in players too young to make that impact.

Nevermind that USA has been hurting for years since Richter decided to call the international game quits.

Also don't forget that Irbe literally stole that tie from Team USA. If he has an equally good tournament, I could see him getting picked up by someone down the road once his European commitments are up

Jazz

I have a dream......

I'm waiting for a day when 3 to 4 of today's Elite 7 (CAN, CZE, FIN, RUS, SWE, SVK, and USA) do not make the QF round of a tournament....

A lot of fans from those countries will be freaking out, but if there are more elite nations in hockey (up from today's 7) then the hockey world will be better overall! :handclap:

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
A lot of fans here are overreacting over one game. Its a long tournament and these guys arent use to play with each others yet.

USA will get better and they dominated the game, im looking for Dipietro to take over for the rest of the Tournament.

Canada didnt even brake a sweat against Italy in a game which they played not embarass the opposition. To get alarmed after this game is just stupid.

Russia is known to step it up as the tournament goes on

same goes for Czechs

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Jazz said:
I have a dream......

I'm waiting for a day when 3 to 4 of today's Elite 7 (CAN, CZE, FIN, RUS, SWE, SVK, and USA) do not make the QF round of a tournament....

A lot of fans from those countries will be freaking out, but if there are more elite nations in hockey (up from today's 7) then the hockey world will be better overall! :handclap:
Unlike the Civil Rights movement, your dreams probably won't be coming true any time soon.

Germany, Latvia, Kazakhstan, and Switzerland ( arguably the teams that would need to take said superpowers' place) are going to have to make some magnificent strides in player development aside from the occasional starting NHL goaltender

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Ovechkin_mvp said:
Germany looks pretty good to me.

I think they might as well make the top 8 in 10+ years or so.

Sharks prospect Tomas Greiss starts against Canada tommorow. I'm hoping he can keep them below 7 goals.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Ovechkin_mvp said:
Germany looks pretty good to me.

I think they might as well make the top 8 in 10+ years or so.
Actually I probably said Germany in haste, I do see them being a team in contention if they keep up the pace of player development.

Substitute Germany for Japan in this case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad