NCAA: FCS Playoff Discussion

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There seemed to be some interest in giving the FCS its own thread again, so with the playoffs being set I think this is as good of a time as any to give it its due.

As always there's plenty of controversy around and the geographic nature of draws has a tendency to punish more westerly teams (South Dakota State goes from being 5th ranked to having to open up on the road at Montana thanks to losing in double OT this past weekend...and the winner of this game gets to go to the impenetrable Fargodome while Charleston Southern gets the winner of The Citadel/Coastal Carolina...none of those teams are as good as the aforementioned three and Chuck South has already played both teams this season), but that's an unfortunate by-product of timing (Thanksgiving weekend means student attendance is way down across the board making it less financially viable to send a team from Pittsburgh to Missoula). The NCAA loses that benefit of the doubt with some of the potential second round games, but...yeah.

At least Portland State got the seeded berth from the Big Sky Conference despite Southern Utah winning the conference. SUU's conference championship is somewhat tainted by playing neither Montana nor Eastern Washington and losing head-to-head to Portland State...but even then opening on the road is a bit harsh.

2015 FCS Playoff Schedule
Saturday, Nov. 28: First Round Time (ET)
(All Games Available on ESPN3)
Dayton vs. Western Illinois 12 p.m.
Chattanooga vs. Fordham 1 p.m.
Coastal Carolina vs. The Citadel 2 p.m.
Sam Houston State vs. Southern Utah 3 p.m.
Montana vs. South Dakota State 3 p.m.
New Hampshire vs. Colgate 3:30 p.m.
William & Mary vs. Duquesne 3:30 p.m.
Northern Iowa vs. Eastern Illinois 5 p.m.

Saturday, Dec. 5: Second Round Time (ET)
No. 8 Charleston Southern vs. The Citadel/Coastal Carolina 1 p.m.
No. 7 Richmond vs. William & Mary/Duquesne 1 p.m.
No. 5 James Madison vs. Colgate/New Hampshire 1 p.m.
No. 2 Illinois State vs. Dayton/Western Illinois 2 p.m.
No. 1 Jacksonville State vs. Chattanooga/Fordham 2 p.m.
No. 3 North Dakota State vs. Montana/South Dakota State 3:30 p.m.
No. 4 McNeese State vs. Sam Houston State/Southern Utah 7 p.m.
No. 6 Portland State vs. Northern Iowa/Eastern Illinois 10 p.m.

Go Griz
635837875406212891-Montana-Montana-St-Fo-Aldi.jpg

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
even 2 big south teams got in

this is coastal carolina last huzzah before they jump to d1a next year

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Montana jumped on South Dakota State before no-showing in the 2nd half...thankfully the hurry-up offense was able to run down the clock at the end to prevent the Jacks from getting a chance to tie it up. Griz-Bison for the second time this year, this time in Fargo.

I expect a different result this time around, but the Griz are built to give a team like NDSU trouble.

Chattanooga 50 Fordham 20
The Citadel 41 Coastal Carolina 38
Colgate 27 New Hampshire 6
Sam Houston State 42 Southern Utah 39
Montana 24 South Dakota State 17
Northern Iowa 53 Eastern Illinois 17
William & Mary 52 Duquesne 49
Western Illinois 24 Dayton 7

A lot fewer runaway games this year than usual...rather refreshing. Duquesne almost pulling the upset over W&M was the biggest surprise to me.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Montana jumped on South Dakota State before no-showing in the 2nd half...thankfully the hurry-up offense was able to run down the clock at the end to prevent the Jacks from getting a chance to tie it up. Griz-Bison for the second time this year, this time in Fargo.

I expect a different result this time around, but the Griz are built to give a team like NDSU trouble.

Chattanooga 50 Fordham 20
The Citadel 41 Coastal Carolina 38
Colgate 27 New Hampshire 6
Sam Houston State 42 Southern Utah 39
Montana 24 South Dakota State 17
Northern Iowa 53 Eastern Illinois 17
William & Mary 52 Duquesne 49
Western Illinois 24 Dayton 7

A lot fewer runaway games this year than usual...rather refreshing. Duquesne almost pulling the upset over W&M was the biggest surprise to me.

final in the Colgate/UNH game was 27-20. UNH was actually driving for a game tying TD but a INT ended their hopes.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The fact that this game is still within range is shocking considering Brady Gustafsson is content to just keep giving the Bison the ball.

It's rather mind-blowing how many playoff runs will be ended by option teams over the past decade for the Griz...not that anybody expected them to win this one.

And I spoke too soon, 21-0 now...no way Montana comes back from that hole without the ability to throw the ball anywear near a guy in a white jersey.

edit: Aaaaand another floating interception into double coverage. Way to give your teammates a chance, Gus.

Last edited:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
The fact that this game is still within range is shocking considering Brady Gustafsson is content to just keep giving the Bison the ball.

It's rather mind-blowing how many playoff runs will be ended by option teams over the past decade for the Griz...not that anybody expected them to win this one.

And I spoke too soon, 21-0 now...no way Montana comes back from that hole without the ability to throw the ball anywear near a guy in a white jersey.

edit: Aaaaand another floating interception into double coverage. Way to give your teammates a chance, Gus.

What a horrible day for him and the offense. I was really hoping the Griz could be the ones to derail the streak. Oh well. Hopefully the offense really gets going after Mick gets another season to implement the system.

Go Griz.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hey, if you told me that this is how the season would have gone back in the Spring I'd be fairly happy...tons of turnover and a new system being implemented by a coach who has never coached at this level. More high points this year than the past few years combined, I'm looking forward to next season.

NDSU...nothing to be said that hasn't been said. They're an FBS team in every way except for scholarships...they have depth at every position, which nobody else in the FCS can come close to matching. Their freshman QB has looked far better today than their title-winning junior did back in week one.

93Ducks

Go Ducks
May 15, 2010
Big Sky gets spanked, seems to be a trend. Good year for the Griz overall, can't be mad at what they've accomplished with what they were given. NDSU keeps building their dynasty per the usual, best of luck to them on the 5-peat. Excited to see how the rest unfolds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad