Movies: Favourite Sport Movies:

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
It's not a sports movie in any usual sense, but everyone should see the documentary The Pat Tillman Story, about the ex-NFL player who enlisted in the Army after 9/11, served in combat and was killed under circumstances that were later covered up by the US Army. Powerful and moving.

Was it based off Jon Krakaeur's book Where Men Win Glory? Because I'd recommend that book to anyone who can read English and remembers where they were on 9/11.

Reactions: plank

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Was it based off Jon Krakaeur's book Where Men Win Glory? Because I'd recommend that book to anyone who can read English and remembers where they were on 9/11.
No, I don't think so. Here's the trailer for those interested:

Basically the documentary is about a very principled man who gave up a lucrative NFL career to fight in the Middle East and a lie that the government tried to sell to the wrong family.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Basically the documentary is about a very principled man who gave up a lucrative NFL career to fight in the Middle East and a lie that the government tried to sell to the wrong family.

right -- Krakaeur's book is the same subject (sorry I wasn't clear about it). After some cursory Google searches it doesn't seem like they're connected even though they tackle the same story and ask the same questions.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
This thread has gone on this long and the greatest sports movie ever hasn't been listed? That's right, the original 1975 Rollerball.

You may now close the thread.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Hockey: Miracle
Baseball: Field of Dreams:
Soccer: Hot Shot (early 90s acting was bad but i liked it)
Football: Rudy
Basketball: Hoosiers
Golf: Happy Gilmore
Boxing: Rocky

HM: Waterboy, Goon, Slap shot, Bull Durham, Major League

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Upvoting: Raging Bull, Olympia, Slap Shot

Adding: Fat City, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Guilty Pleasure: Personal Best

Haven't seen it but heard good things so surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet: I, Tonya

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Major League and Caddyshack are a couple of the funniest/best movies of all time (in my top-10).

Slap Shot and Goon were good. Happy Gilmore was awesome. Rocky 4 was great. Mr. Baseball was good.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
You remining me of this movie reminds me of a very similar movie, Invincible, with Mark Wahlberg playing a walk-on to the Philadelphia Eagles.

It's like free association, sports movie style.

Another movie that everyone hates for some reason but I don't is the Last Boy Scout with Damon Wayans and Bruce Willis. It's a cop movie taking place in a professional football environment.

What kind of person hates The Last Boy Scout?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I thought The Phenom from 2016 was a refreshing take on the sports genre with few mishaps and some really inspired aesthetic takes. Ethan Hawke has a great performance too.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Lots of good baseball movies. As a kid I liked Little Big League, Rookie of the year, and major league one and two. Moneyball was great.

I also liked Cool Runnings a lot as a kid, and find it holds up well over time. I watched it not too long ago.

Slap shot is a classic.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Can't believe Hollywood has yet to make a movie about Curling

2759032_640px.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->