Favourite/Hated Habs from 2000-2010

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Alex Tanguay is the softest Hab I have ever seen and that is saying a lot based on the era of Habs I've grown up in. He even annoys me further today as people look at the stat sheet from that season and assume he was a solid contributor. He wasn't, he was a complimentary as a player gets, drove no plays and most of his assists were secondary. Did I also mention he was soft? I don't know if he's my most hated, but the revisionist history on his time as Hab is not helping.

That's just one memory of lots to share from that decade.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
The worst thing to ever happen to this team......Carey Price

Would have won a cup by now if we never drafted him

With who? Huet, Halak? Carey hasnt always been at his best in the playoffs, but we’ve hardly had a cup contending team during his time here. Even the run with Halak we were badly outplayed most games.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
My favourite has to be Kovalev and the best memory of him was the playoff winner after he lost his helmet. Beauty Kovalev goal with the hair flowing. Was awesome.

Also can't leave Halak off the list for what he did in that postseason.

Least... well... I would say Desharnais but it wasn't so much him that I hated as much as the way the franchise used him. Had they played him properly then I guess I wouldn't have an issue with him.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Well all the good players like Markov, Kovalev, Koivu were mentioned but hard to believe Gilmour has gotten no love. I know he wasn't around long but he helped lead the Habs when Koivu went through cancer rehab and he helped knock off the Bruins during the Zednick affair.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
With who? Huet, Halak? Carey hasnt always been at his best in the playoffs, but we’ve hardly had a cup contending team during his time here. Even the run with Halak we were badly outplayed most games.

it doesnt matter who our goalie would have been, with price here we are doomed, we will never win a cup with price, it was time to move on from him after 10 years.....instead we are now doomed for another 8 years...that will be 18 years of failure with price....pathetic

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
it doesnt matter who our goalie would have been, with price here we are doomed, we will never win a cup with price, it was time to move on from him after 10 years.....instead we are now doomed for another 8 years...that will be 18 years of failure with price....pathetic

you said we would have already won a cup. how?

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
My favourite
Kovalev
Both kostitsyn (mostly Sergei)
Koivu
Price
Ryder
Markov
Didn't like:
Boullion
Gomez

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Favourite:
Koivu
Gallagher
Subban
Cammalleri
Markov
Theo
Lehkonen
Galchenyuk
Begin
(in the making) Scherbak

Least:
Gomez
Brisebois
Dandenault
Laraque
Bourque
Niinimaa

Almost added DD, but it was mostly Therrien usage than DD himself. Remember cheering for him when he was in our system and early Habs years. Same for Bouillon, I remember being sad we didn't made an offer when he left for Nashville, Bouillon was a warrior I don't think he deserves belonging in the hated category.

Last edited:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Kovalev

But Koivu and Kovalev never got to the conference finals. Subban did. Twice.

Hoping Chucky, Scherbak, and Drouin can bring back some of that Kovalev magic. All three are still so young.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Faves:
Sergei Kostitsyn
Andrei Kostitsyn
Sergei Samsonov
Mathieu Garon
Mark Streit
Saku Koivu

Least liked:
Cristobal Huet
Radek Bonk
Ryan O'Byrne
Chris Higgins
Guillaume Latendresse

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Don't see much love for Higgins here. He didn't quite pan out for many reasons but honestly that was a guy you really cheered for. Everyone was rooting for Higgins.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Alex Tanguay is the softest Hab I have ever seen and that is saying a lot based on the era of Habs I've grown up in. He even annoys me further today as people look at the stat sheet from that season and assume he was a solid contributor. He wasn't, he was a complimentary as a player gets, drove no plays and most of his assists were secondary. Did I also mention he was soft? I don't know if he's my most hated, but the revisionist history on his time as Hab is not helping.

That's just one memory of lots to share from that decade.

He was the most gutless player I have ever seen play here. He was soft and a coward and selfish, especially in the playoffs. I am still bitter because I really bought into the hype when he came.

Reactions: McTusk

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Hated Ribs, Lapierre & Gomez

The rest were just misused by their coach, not their fault

All time hated Hab is Darcy Tucker but just outside the window

As for Favs: Koivu, Kovalev, Markov - pretty sad for a decade

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Favorites: Koivu, Kovalev, Markov, Zednik, Petrov, Gilmour, Souray, Hamrlik, Kost bros, Higgins & Komisarek (damn I was sad when both left), Subban (revealed himself in 2010 playoffs, so he count)

Can't say I literally hated a player, more the usage that some benefited from some coaches.

But, it was mostly coaches that I hated, especially the old school defensive mentality that most of them had, which I abhor, this is anti-hockey, was fed up with that back in the days (even though we had some mighty fine years, when Kovalev was there especially) but nearly 10 years later nothing changed, while the rest of the league turned a page and got back to more entertaining hockey...

Also, some should read the op before replying, 2000-2010 is the target...

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Favorites: Egller, Kostitsyn, Koivu, Cammalleri, Gallagher, Gorges, Souray, Subban, White, Kostopoulos, Lapierre, Metropolit, Hamrlik, Weaver, Cole.

Meh: Alzner, Latendresse, Gomez, Laraque, Campoli, Parenteau, Bouillon, Malhotra.
Hated: Desharnais, Auld, Sopel (so sloooow)

Favourites:
Saku Koivu
Richard Zednik
Mike Komisarek
Andrei Markov
Carey Price
Lars Eller
Sheldon Souray
Roman Hamrlik

Least Favourite:
Jaro Spacek
Michael Ryder
Guillaume Latendresse
David Desharnais

Favorite: Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Kostitsyns, Subban, Price, Huet, Souray, Kostopoulous(heh), Lapierre, Moore, Markov, Eller, Hamrlik, Cammy, Pleky, Spacegoat

Hated: none that I can think of. Maybe Darche because he was over used or Gionta because hes a pos who shot in the crest everytime.

I find it hard to "hate" a player. Even Jordie Benn and Alzner wouldnt be qualified for "hate".

Favorites: Koivu, Kovalev, AK, Eller

I don't really hate a player in particular.

Favourites:
Subban
Radulov
Kovalev
Souray
Laraque
Prust
Gilmour
Eller
Emelin

Hated:
Hal Gill