Favourite games of the season thus far

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Im living in the UK - in my area we've had 3 inches of snow and they've decided to give us 2 days off work. Absolute madness.

So with my time off I want to rewatch a couple of games from the season so far.

What's everybodies top 3 games from the 2017/2018 season to date?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Hurricanes in Centennial game

Not much else stands out too much, lots of good ones anything from mid November to mid Jan was crap

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Game 1 - Thumped Winnipeg
The first Ranger game.- Roller coaster
The Vegas game - Terrific game day experience.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Feb. 10, 2018 - Leafs vs. Sens.

Too easy a win to qualify in my books. Of course that's just me, other people obviously have other ideas of what constitutes a great game. For me, this is the criteria.

1 - we have to win (duh)
2 - we have to play well
3 - the opposition must also be a good team (not much satisfaction in beating up on a weakling IMO)
4 - has to be meaningful in terms of the standings (ie. early season games don't qualify), the more meaningful the better
5 - various subjective criteria - the Boston game was a clash of two super hot teams who are likely to meet up in the 1st round and of course we have history with them. The fact that it was an exciting close game decided with less than 2 minutes to play doesn't hurt either.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Islanders - Leafs game (from January 31st). A couple of first NHL goals in it and a total domination.

That was so fun to watch Dermott and Holl. That's got to be top 3 of the year for me too.

Yeah that was pretty awesome. Didn't meet some of my other criteria but off the charts subjective points, watching Dermott score was the highlight of the season up until that point, then Holl scoring was the cherry on top. :)

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Too easy a win to qualify in my books. Of course that's just me, other people obviously have other ideas of what constitutes a great game. For me, this is the criteria.

1 - we have to win (duh)
2 - we have to play well
3 - the opposition must also be a good team (not much satisfaction in beating up on a weakling IMO)
4 - has to be meaningful in terms of the standings (ie. early season games don't qualify), the more meaningful the better
5 - various subjective criteria - the Boston game was a clash of two super hot teams who are likely to meet up in the 1st round and of course we have history with them. The fact that it was an exciting close game decided with less than 2 minutes to play doesn't hurt either.

I'm a little bias because I was at that one. But also because Mitch absolutely dominated that night.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Yeah that was pretty awesome. Didn't meet some of my other criteria but off the charts subjective points, watching Dermott score was the highlight of the season up until that point, then Holl scoring was the cherry on top. :)
I think it was because of the Dads trip too. They brought that extra emotion that I love to see.

Reactions: nonikhanna

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm a little bias because I was at that one. But also because Mitch absolutely dominated that night.

That's fair, being at the game and watching Mitch dominate is again off the charts subjective awesomeness. If it was me, that would probably be my favourite game too

I think it was because of the Dads trip too. They brought that extra emotion that I love to see.

It did indeed. That Dermott goal and all that went with it was so awesome. My wife has zero interest in hockey but I remember rewinding, calling her to watch and telling her that that was the feel-good moment of the year and probably for the last number of years. Even got a smile out of her. :laugh:

I'm changing my vote - that was the greatest game of the year.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Nov 18th, Leafs at Montreal.... Matthews first game back from injury... I was there, standing and cheering surrounded by Habs fans who were in complete shock... it was glorious.

That was by far the best for me... then probably the Leafs - Hurricanes Centennial because it seemed to be Marner's breakout game, but it pales in comparison.

Third might be the Leafs-Hawks game where Willy got the OT winner on the penalty shot... glorious ending to a controversial game that would've been a punch to the gut if they lost, because of the goalie interference non-call, especially considering how they got screwed in the Colorado game just before that... plus that was when Babcock made line changes and sent Leo to the 4th line and created the Marner-Kadri combination.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Once

Jul 16, 2010
The Leafs Montreal game when Martin - Matthews - Marner line completely embarrassed the Habs.

Toronto vs Islanders when Holl/Dermott scored

A lot of other games I liked too. First game of the year vs Winnipeg was a fun one.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Afternoon game before Christmas. My daughter and I had a great time, she got to witness her first Leaf blowout win.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Win vs Chicago at home with Matthews scoring the OT winner.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have goosebumps thinking of that NYI game. The last time a game gave me such an emotional high was probably the first game Matthews played as a Leaf, I don't think I need to remind anyone what happened that night. :)

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
I'll watch a few of these today and tomorrow - watching the Islanders with a cold one.

Thank god for British incompetence with 'severe' weather.

:cheers:

GLG

Reactions: Leafs1993

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
That was so fun to watch Dermott and Holl. That's got to be top 3 of the year for me too.

du6muhav4aewjcr.jpg

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
I have goosebumps thinking of that NYI game. The last time a game gave me such an emotional high was probably the first game Matthews played as a Leaf, I don't think I need to remind anyone what happened that night. :)
I was lucky to witness that game live! That was an awesome experience, and the game was very exciting and a stress-free one, for a change :)

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad