Favorite WHA Uniforms

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I am not sure if there has been a thread on WHA uniforms specifically but here is a link that shows them. What are some favorites?

http://www.whauniforms.com/

Two that I really like are the Minnesota Fighting Saints (1974-75) and the Indianapolis Racers (1975-76). The Baltimore Blades and Cincinnati Stingers were interesting. Of the teams that joined the NHL, Edmonton's blue and Quebec's blue were favorites but I am more interested in the teams that did not join the NHL.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
MiamiScreamingEagles said:
I am not sure if there has been a thread on WHA uniforms specifically but here is a link that shows them. What are some favorites?

http://www.whauniforms.com/

Two that I really like are the Minnesota Fighting Saints (1974-75) and the Indianapolis Racers (1975-76). The Baltimore Blades and Cincinnati Stingers were interesting. Of the teams that joined the NHL, Edmonton's blue and Quebec's blue were favorites but I am more interested in the teams that did not join the NHL.
I like the Fighting Saints in part because it was the parent club to the famed Johnstown Jets, the inspiration for Charlestown Chiefs of Slap Shot. It is a nice combination of blue with some gold.

It is interesting to see that they used an alternate sweater during the inaugural 1972-73 season.

A couple of thoughts.

I have never in my life seen a more pathetic logo than the Calgary Cowboys. That's just embarassing.

Gotta try and picture the Birmingham jerseys with blood on them. They were the toughest team around and started more brawls than the Flyers of the 70s did.

For the best I think I'd go with the Stingers.

Ogopogo*

Stingers were great, Michigan Stags were cool and the LA Sharks had a cool logo. As well, I liked the orange Oilers logo.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Malefic74 said:
Gotta try and picture the Birmingham jerseys with blood on them. They were the toughest team around and started more brawls than the Flyers of the 70s did.
Dave "Killer" Hanson, who played Jack Hanson and inspired Dave "Killer" Carlson in Slap Shot, finished fourth on that team with a staggering 241 PIM's.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The 72-73 Whalers for me, I'm a sucker for the old circle logo's. Other than that I'm with Ogo, the Stags and that lego deer are pretty cool.

David Puddy said:
Dave "Killer" Hanson, who played Jack Hanson and inspired Dave "Killer" Carlson in Slap Shot, finished fourth on that team with a staggering 241 PIM's.

Yep. There was a great quote in an article form back then abou that team. IIRC they were playing the Stingers and there was some bad blood between the squads and they started Dave "Killer" Hanson (241 PIMs in 42 games!), Frank "Seldom" Beaton (279 PIMs in 56 games), Gilles "Bad News" Bilodeau (258 PIMs in 59 games), Steve Durbano (284 PIMs in 45 games!!! :eek: ) and Ken Linseman who finished up with 126 PIMs in 71 games.

The ref dropped the puck and....

The line in the next day's paper was "it looked like the Nazis invading Poland all over again!" :biglaugh:

They were the toughest team in hockey bar none. The Broad Street Bullies finished with 1969 PIMs in 74-75. The Bulls finished 77-78 with 2177 PIMs.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
New England Whalers
Quebec Nordiques (the one year style with the fleur-des-lis on the red shoulder yoke on the home white jerseys)
Denver Spurs (one of the best logos ever)
Oilers orange unis

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Aeros2.gif

Houston Aeros!

Bobby Orr

Lots of cool uniforms.

Whalers 72/73
Nationals 72/73
LA Sharks
Fighting Saints 73/74
Stingers
Roadrunners

Worst:

Blazers - yellow and orange - a mess of a color mixture
Cowboys - looks too phallic-like

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Cleveland Crusaders. Designed by none other than Gerry Cheevers himself. The shield crest are sticks and pucks. Brilliant color scheme as well.

Lone Rogue

Sep 27, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
Toros: Great logo.
Bulls: Great... wait a minute, thats the Toros!

I miss the WHA, or at least the concept of them. I think competition is a good thing in sports, and its sad that North America believes it cannot support two of the same sport. It would be much cooler if it was NHL vs. WHA, NBA vs. ABA, MLB vs. NBL and NFL vs. XFL or something. If one major team is sucking, your other could be doing great. Think if the NHL schedule went October to April, and the WHA schedule went April-October. 12 Months of Major North American Hockey. Wouldn't it be nice?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->