Favorite Stupid Things You See/Hear At An Arena

Markov79

Apr 22, 2002
Canuckastan
Visit site
This thread is for all the ridiculous and often confusing behaviour we see at our local arenas.

I'll start with parents who spend thousands on equipment and thousands more on skating clinics and summer hockey programs to make their son the best player possible yet they reward him after every practise and game with a large pepsi, chips and chocolate bar. Does it ever occur to them that dragging an extra thirty pounds up and down the ice is affecting his play?

Also there is the player I affectionaly call "Shotgun". Every team has one guy who must take 50 shots during the warm up. Skate? No. Stretch? No. Pass? God Lord No. He needs to be prepared for that one wrister from the blueline he'll end up taking.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
The ones I love
"God, why does it smell in here?"
Usually from the prissy blonde stick thin girlfriends of the hotshot players.

The spoiled brat is another one. The kid who has all the best gear no matter what and can't carry his own damn bag out the door.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
The worst guy on my team has all top of the line equipment, 200$ stick, 500$ skates etc...and is by far the worst player. He likes to say "you owe me an assist" if you dont score when he actually manages to get the puck to you. Kills me every time.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I'll give one dumb one and one good one.

Dumb: parents berating the ref and calling him stupid names at a house league game. You're embarassing yourselves, please stop.

Good: seeing any child learning to skate/play hockey and having fun. Hockey can teach you a lot, mostly about life.

ScreamingWild

Jobu Mojo
Oct 4, 2006
Ontario
The absolute most insane comment said about goalies, and it is heard regularly, has to be, "Bet he'd like to have that one back!" Well duh...

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I've gotta go with the Pee Wees and Bantams that you see walking out with their sticks while their mothers drag their equipment bags. Someone needs to slap those parents.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I have a couple.

The kid that's played hockey for about five years and still needs help putting his gear on.

The other comes from the pro ranks. I always laugh when the guy in the 3rd balcony starts yelling shoot, or complains when a player doesn't make a pass. Umm hello, he's a pro and you are fat old fart in 325.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
The other comes from the pro ranks. I always laugh when the guy in the 3rd balcony starts yelling shoot, or complains when a player doesn't make a pass. Umm hello, he's a pro and you are fat DRUNK old fart in 325.
Fixed that for you.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
When I'm sitting in the scorers area, hurridly trying to write in the players lineups onto my lineup sheet and having the players take slapshots that hit the glass right in front of me and thus make me jump and end up with scribbles on the scoresheet.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
There is that one weird goalie that always shouts: "Go to the man. Defense. Don`t let him shoot", but he refuses to move a single millimeter in the goal.

BCCHL inactive

Any minor hockey parent who thinks he/she is tough, smart or is impressing anybody by yelling at the referees, who are just as much kids as the players playing the game.

They should all be banned from the arenas for life.

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
This thread is for all the ridiculous and often confusing behaviour we see at our local arenas.

I'll start with parents who spend thousands on equipment and thousands more on skating clinics and summer hockey programs to make their son the best player possible yet they reward him after every practise and game with a large pepsi, chips and chocolate bar. Does it ever occur to them that dragging an extra thirty pounds up and down the ice is affecting his play?

Also there is the player I affectionaly call "Shotgun". Every team has one guy who must take 50 shots during the warm up. Skate? No. Stretch? No. Pass? God Lord No. He needs to be prepared for that one wrister from the blueline he'll end up taking.

The coach's kid playing like the whole game is just sad.(Same kid who can't tie his skates.) Also all the kids who just play a game, then have a little powerade after, shows they didn't work at all.

Dumbest Quote- (By Announcers) - I think the goalie wishes he could have that one back. Well no duh!

HVPOLARBEARS19

Nov 17, 2005
NY
A favorite of mine are the mini-mites with like $400 skates...apparently the parents don't realize that'll they'll be two sizes too small next week.

I've seen some pretty insane things at rinks as well, including a squirt house league game where the goalie's dad screamed curses at the goalie the entire game, saying such things as "if you dont stop this ******* puck you're walking home!"...I am not kidding on this one either...

That was pretty nutty, everyone else was in utter shock, he was pacing up and down screaming things to an 8 year old kid who can't tie his own skates...

Cartman27

Oct 13, 2006
Long Island
Im a ref at a league that plays on an outdoor rink. We have four agegroups with Four teams in each agegroup. On a chilly day last winter we got the first three ages in when with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd game it started raining. From drizzle to downpour by games end. Obviously we had to cancel the final game of the day. I Loved the 7 parents of the 16 year old kids to try and convince us it was ok to play:shakehead ]. Trying to explain the dangers of roller hockey in the rain was like trying to explain calculous to a 5 year old.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
A favorite of mine are the mini-mites with like $400 skates...apparently the parents don't realize that'll they'll be two sizes too small next week.

I've seen some pretty insane things at rinks as well, including a squirt house league game where the goalie's dad screamed curses at the goalie the entire game, saying such things as "if you dont stop this ******* puck you're walking home!"...I am not kidding on this one either...

That was pretty nutty, everyone else was in utter shock, he was pacing up and down screaming things to an 8 year old kid who can't tie his own skates...

This parent is obviously out of control. He needs therapy or to put on medication as soon as possible before he puts people and himself in danger.

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
My nephew played on one of the summer AAA tournament teams. The coach wanted him to play in a tournament in Edmonton. He tells me it's a big tournament. It's a once in a lifetime deal and if we don't go we would never be asked again. He tells me kids from all over the world want to play for this team! The cost was $5k and missing school for up to a week! We didn't go :biglaugh:

Oh yah I almost forgot. My nephew is a 92 and the tourament was 4 years ago when he was 10. Some will say he missed his chance to go pro because of my desicion :amazed: I will take my chances and the $5k to the bank.

Fenix

Sep 18, 2006
My nephew played on one of the summer AAA tournament teams. The coach wanted him to play in a tournament in Edmonton. He tells me it's a big tournament. It's a once in a lifetime deal and if we don't go we would never be asked again. He tells me kids from all over the world want to play for this team! The cost was $5k and missing school for up to a week! We didn't go :biglaugh:

Oh yah I almost forgot. My nephew is a 92 and the tourament was 4 years ago when he was 10. Some will say he missed his chance to go pro because of my desicion :amazed: I will take my chances and the $5k to the bank.

im guessing that the tournament was the Brick Super-Novice Invitational. That tournament is huge here in Edmonton and the kids for being only 9-10 years old are really good lol. And teams from all over North America do come to play in the tournament year after year.

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
Thats the one :bow: The tounament is at the Mall :biglaugh: . Great tournament. I just couldn't belive that the parents really thought that there would be scouts at the tournament :shakehead . I have been around the game for 40+ years and coached at the Jr level, BUT when a parent only wants to hear certain words spoken about their child NOTHING will convince them otherwise. The coach & parents were so convinced that this was one step closer to the show that I just had to stay home. To this day my nephew has not complained once about not going or being asked to play on the team anymore.

Frozen North

Healthy Scratch
Oct 8, 2002
OK
Visit site
I can't stand the "good" players that make fun of the less-talented or newer guys, even though the new guy out-hustles the hotshot all the time.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
There is that one weird goalie that always shouts: "Go to the man. Defense. Don`t let him shoot", but he refuses to move a single millimeter in the goal.

I played with a guy whose mouth is on loop
"SEND IT!!......SLOT!!......SEND IT!!.....SLOT!!!.....SEND IT!!!"

This is during lunch-hockey.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
some hockey parents are the worst. I've even seen parents get into fights because one kid trip another kid on the oposing team.

kid's dad who actually beat up a ref because he didn't like the penalties the ref gave his kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad