Favorite Non-NHL Arenas

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005
Johnstown War Memorial. The rink where they filmed Slapshot. I used to love playing there as a kid.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Although it's a very uncomfortable venue, I do have some affection for St. Michael's Arena in Toronto. The capacity is about 1000, so wherever you are in the building, you're close to the action.

Last year, we sat behind the Sudbury Wolves' bench, and could hear Marc Staal, Benoit Pouliot and others cursing at the referees. Good fun. On the negative side, hockey players sweat a lot, and their equipment can be rather pungent as a result. And lower back pain is a constant from the bench seating.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
I've been to the Pepsi, but not since the Nords left and I still think Harbour Station is nicer although smaller. Sadly, I've never set foot inside Mile One.
So maybe I shouldn't say nicest in Atlantic but nicest in the Maritimes. ;) or the nicest I've been inside in the Q
Hopefully one of these days I'll make it to a game at Mile One.
Also in Junior A I've not seen the Carelton Civic Centre (Woodstock Slammers) or the Yarmouth Mariners Centre (Yarmouth Mariners) and Summerside has it's brand spanking new 4,000 seater set to open this month (Summerside Western Capitals). So I may have to change my Junior A rink too.
But Aitken Centre is still the best University rink ;)

Mile One is gorgeous. Harbour Station is a nice rink too though. I haven't seen a game there but I have been inside to check the place out the one and only time in my life I was in Saint John (August 2005). I love the Colisee though - it's the last of the really big ancient arenas left and the history and atmosphere in that building is just amazing. I'm going back next weekend for the Remps-Piques game and I can't wait.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Mile One is gorgeous. Harbour Station is a nice rink too though. I haven't seen a game there but I have been inside to check the place out the one and only time in my life I was in Saint John (August 2005). I love the Colisee though - it's the last of the really big ancient arenas left and the history and atmosphere in that building is just amazing. I'm going back next weekend for the Remps-Piques game and I can't wait.

Too hi-jack this thread totally for the two of us....
If you wanna bring up history. I get ya there on the Pepsi then and can't argue.
Even in my home town (relatively new) 4 Ice Centre. I love how they have pictures and histories of my beloved Beavers since 1959 when they started in the area between the rinks and the bar and restaurant. Yeah, you're right I'm the type that sometimes overlooks history for creature comforts ;)

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Johnstown War Memorial. The rink where they filmed Slapshot. I used to love playing there as a kid.
Then I might as well throw in the old (and long gone) Commack Arena, home of the old EHL Long Island Ducks - all the ambiance of an arirplane hanger, but a great place to watch a game.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I think the Sarnia Sports and Entertainment Complex is a great building. If you want real hockey atmosphere, head down to the Sarnia Arena(also known as the Barn-it literally was a barn that converted to an ice rink). Not as posh, but definitely has hockey in the air-even if it is fairly small ;)

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
The only non-NHL rinks I've been in are Credit Union Centre here in Saskatoon, the "crushed can" Moose Jaw Civic Centre in Moose Jaw and Copps Coliseum in Hamilton. I like the CUC, indifferent about Copps Coliseum and hate the "crushed can."

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
The partially Foppa-funded Swedbank Arena is pretty.

Swedbankarena.jpg

GWhale*

Oh man that arena has a terrace!!!!!!

Game, set, match. That arena wins.

Last edited by a moderator:

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
This arena in Budapest, Hungary probably has the coolest exterior ever.

buda26.jpg

Inside shot:

buda4.jpg

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
William Allman Memorial Arena in Stratford, Ontario. This has to be my all-time favorite arena, it's an old fashion barn that has a great old time hockey feel to it. I think the Stratford Cullitons (Jr B.) still play there.

soundtigersfan

Feb 28, 2007
CT
The Arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport, CT (also known as the Corruption Dome). It's a great arena that's a little bit too spacious for AHL hockey, but it gets rocking like an old barn when we play the Hartford Wolf*Pack. It's also home to Fairfield University's basketball team, so I spend a lot of time there between supporting SW CT's hockey team and my school's basketball team.

The Hartford Civic Center in Hartford, CT. It always brings back some great memories, and I try to make it there for a Sound Tigers/Wolf*Pack game at least once or twice a year.

Danbury Ice Arena in Danbury, CT. Formerly home to one of the rowdiest hockey fanbases in the U.S. One of the few places where the fans actually managed to get under the opposing teams' skin on a regular basis.

Honorable mention: New Haven Veteran's Memorial Coliseum of New Haven, CT. This is where I saw my first hockey game, and the fans from Section 14, also known as the Jungle, were known and feared throughout the AHL. They eventually moved to Danbury for Trashers games, but they don't come out to support the Tigers for reasons that are understandable. Those guys knew their hockey and knew how to drive the opposing team nuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad