Favorite Non-NHL Arenas

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I was wondering if there's any arenas that does not house an NHL Team that you like. I really like FedExForum, from my birthplace, Memphis, Tennessee.
fed_ex_forum.jpg

fedexforum3.jpg

memphis_fedexforum2.jpg

Majik1987

I know kung fu...
Nov 27, 2005
Northern Illinois
I really likes the Hershey Center in Hershey, PA or the Wachovia Center in Wilkes-Barre Scranton. Both are beautiful AHL barns. On the other end of the spectrum, you have the War Memorial in Syracuse. What a dump!

Non-hockey, Elfstrom Stadium of the Single A Kane County Cougars is a great place to watch baseball.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
The Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville (home of SPHL Jacksonville Barracudas) is very nice. Only a few years old too. Too bad all they have is the SPHL. It'd be a great AHL arena.

Gotta mention North Dakota's rink too. Best in the NCAA. Miami of Ohio's new rink is nice too.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Two college arenas in Boston I go to regularly, one very old and one very new.

Matthews Arena at Northeastern, the oldest indoor rink in the US. It has a balcony from which you can practically look straight down on the ice. There is a subway station right next to the rink. I play some adult league games there as well.

http://www.gonu.com/mhockey/archives/matthews/arena.htm

The two-year old Agganis Arena at Boston University, where the seating bowl was built as steep as code would allow. It's located right on Commonwealth Avenue, and you can take a trolley or a bus right to the rink.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/1475645910079519677HaRaXE

EatSleepJeep

Dec 31, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Gotta mention North Dakota's rink too. Best in the NCAA.

Englestad is probably the best period. If it had the capacity of an NHL venue, it would have to be #1. It's 11,640.

The Ultimate Sports Roadtrip guys could only find one fault and that was a mural sized photo of Belfour with the cup. Apparently Buffalo fans just can't stop crying.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
the rose garden is pretty nice, just re-did the club level.

if we can talk all sporting venues, then autzen stadium is AWESOME!

Also, the cardinals new stadium is pretty cool

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006
I like the Hartford Civic Center where whe Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL currently play. I also like the Springfield Civic Center and the Harbor Yard Arena.

Mr.Bill

Feb 3, 2007
Fargo, ND
Half of the most impressive parts of North Dakota's is what is below the seating area. running treadmill submerged in water, humidifier room for sticks etc, etc.

If their is a knock its that its just not as rucus as the old place.

EatSleepJeep

Dec 31, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Half of the most impressive parts of North Dakota's is what is below the seating area. running treadmill submerged in water, humidifier room for sticks etc, etc.

If their is a knock its that its just not as raucous as the old place.

It's a palace with every amenity, no doubt about it.

I noticed they stopped throwing frozen dead gophers on the ice when Minnesota comes to town...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The Ralph is in a class by itself when it comes to arenas in North America. Period. There isn't anything like it.

As far as the WHL, a lot of the newer rinks are really nice. Always liked the ones in Calgary and Red Deer. Credit Union Centre in Saskatoon is a good one, too.

For Junior A, if you're looking for design, the Northern Lights Ice Palace in Melfort is exactly that: a palace. It was built for the 1996 Royal Bank Cup, and it might just be the best overall arena in Saskatchewan. A crown jewel for Canadian Junior A hockey. If you want atmosphere, there's nothing like the raucus, rabid atmosphere at Flin Flon's Whitney Forum. Flin Flon's fallen on hard times since reaching the RBC Final in 01, but they still attract well over 1,000 fans a night, and they're as loud and as crass as you'd expect from the Flon.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
I was pretty impressed with the new Charlotte Bobcats Arena in downtown (or uptown I guess...) Charlotte. In addition to the Bobcats, the Charlotte Checkers ECHL team plays there. I imagine that has to be the nicest arena for a minor league hockey team.

geezette

Jun 9, 2006
30 yrs in the minors
Kwings Stadium in Kalamazoo Michigan is a great stop on a road trip. There is a hotel across the parking lot. The food is darn good for a rink. There is a bar right out the aisle from where we would get seats. The fans (although not many) were nice to visitors. The seats were wide enough for a porker (moi) and had leg room. This is IHL days, but we would make the 5 hr trip once a year.

If Hartford still plays in the Civic center, then that's another great road trip. No matter what the weather is like, you can stay indoors!

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Harbour Station (Saint John Sea Dogs) is the best in the Q which makes it the nicest in the Maritimes. Campbellton Civic Centre (Restigouche Tigers) hands down for Junior A. To bad it's an olympic size surface.
Best to watch a game Aitken University Centre (UNB Varsity Reds), you're right on top of the game. As you can see I don't get away from home much.

techtroll

Jan 28, 2007
I always like the St. Paul Civic Center in the WHA, the one with the transparent boards. There was a lady in a mini-skirt who sat in the first row near the blue line, and whenever the Fighting Saints scored, she crossed her legs. I rooted for Minnesota in those days.:amazed:

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Have you been to Mile One Stadium or the Quebec Colisee? They're all excellent buildings but I'd rank both of those ahead of Harbour Station.

I've been to the Pepsi, but not since the Nords left and I still think Harbour Station is nicer although smaller. Sadly, I've never set foot inside Mile One.
So maybe I shouldn't say nicest in Atlantic but nicest in the Maritimes. ;) or the nicest I've been inside in the Q
Hopefully one of these days I'll make it to a game at Mile One.
Also in Junior A I've not seen the Carelton Civic Centre (Woodstock Slammers) or the Yarmouth Mariners Centre (Yarmouth Mariners) and Summerside has it's brand spanking new 4,000 seater set to open this month (Summerside Western Capitals). So I may have to change my Junior A rink too.
But Aitken Centre is still the best University rink ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad