Favorite lesser-known enforcers?

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Ryan Vandenbussche is definitely not "lesser known" on this subforum, but nobody really talks about him otherwise.
I know die hard older fans know him but alot of newer fans my age don't know him. At hockeyfights.com my home site he is well known. He is kind of a inbetweener definitely my favorite fighter definition of a warrior.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
recently - patrick bordeleau

some years ago - peter worrell

a little more time ago - enrico ciccone

if Vandenbussche, Odjick, Laus types count as "lesser-known" too, then I name them.

Reactions: Fixxer

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
mark tinordi was a really good defencemen but also a very tough heavyweight who was one of the most unheralded fighters of his era

you could spend an entertaining couple of hours with a youtube deep dive of tinordi fights because they were almost always entertaining toe-to-toe affairs

for example, if you took a look at the 1989-90 season, tinordi had bouts with robert dirk, sergio momesso, john kordic and daniel dore that were probably 4 of the top 5 fights from that entire nhl season

Reactions: moog35

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Personally I always liked the more compact fighters. Maybe because I am their size, dunno. Not claiming to be nearly as tough, mind you.

But, as Don Cherry said once, it's those type that used to punish people as they were often taken for granted.

Think:

-Gary Howatt
-Tiger Williams
-Danny Gare
-Stan Jonathan
-Gary Holt

Then again there were guys that were just punishing;
-Larry Playfair
-Jimmy Mann
-Chris Nilan

And then your "don't p i s s me off guys:
-Clark Gillies
-Larry Robinson.

Larry Robinson won the 1975 - 76 Habs v Flyers series for Montreal when he beat up Dave Schultz. Flat out punched him out. Philly just wilted after that.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Jon Mirasty has to be up there for me, in terms of entertaining fights. Such a small guy and he wouldn't always win, but he could really throw them. Bosse had his number, though.

Also: RIP Rick Rypien, he's gotta be up there too in the entertainment factor of fighters in the last decade or so.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Jon Mirasty has to be up there for me, in terms of entertaining fights. Such a small guy and he wouldn't always win, but he could really throw them. Bosse had his number, though.

Also: RIP Rick Rypien, he's gotta be up there too in the entertainment factor of fighters in the last decade or so.

Mirasty is sadly suffering poor health these days... Not sure of the specifics.

Fought MMA professionally once if I'm not mistaken...

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Darin Kimble was a lot of fun to watch. Grab on and fire away! Didn't matter if he fought the toughest guy in the league or a no don't. He still fought the same way. His TKO on Troy Crowder was a great tilt. At the time Crowder was crushing everyone he squared off with. Kimble put him down!
I personally saw Kimble take out about four huge guys in a bar fight in Northern, SK. Modano literally had to pull him out before the cops came and/or he killed someone.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->