Favorite 2006 Final Moment

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
As I continue to watch other teams compete for the cup, this year has been especially nostalgic.

What was or is your favorite moment from our cup winning run in 06?

Mine is not on a lot of highlight reels. But in game 7, we are up 2-1 and the puck takes a bad bounce off the boards and Rem Murray is there all alone. Now he’s not a scorer by any means, but any chance is a good chance.

My heart stopped, but as soon as Ward made that save I knew we would win.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Playoffs? When Williams scored in Game 7 I legitimately lost my shit. I grew up going to IceCaps games at Dorton Arena so to see the freaking Stanley Cup clinched in Raleigh was a complete surreal experience.

My second favorite moment was going to a January game with my brother where we beat Detroit to take over the top spot in the league standings. That night was the first time I legitimately thought they might be for real.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not during the finals, but that game where NJ scored very late and some fans left before Staal tied it with 3s and then Wallin won it in OT was one of the best moments of that playoffs. The RBC employee that was working the exit doors to the arena said once the horn sounded, a swarm of fans came running back and they just let them all back in.

All of game 7 was incredible. The excitement of the crowd standing the entire game, the tension once Edm scored, the big saves, and the emotion once Williams sealed it.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Weirdly one of the moments that stands out the most to me was the trade deadline. I was staying with some buddies at the outer banks and took a short break from binge drinking to turn on espn- saw that the canes had made a trade on the little ticker at the bottom but was also busy being a drunken jackass and couldn't see who it was. There was so Internet at the beach house so I kept trying to look back and catch it... after I don't know how long I screamed out to my buddies "holy shit it's Mark Recchi!" I was floored and that was when I really started thinking this team could win a championship

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I liked after the game how they got to the point where they actually had to close the doors to the Eye and let people in at intervals. I think they said some people had almost gotten trampled or something before I had gotten down there. I wore the hell out of that Champs t-shirt. Really wish they'd have made more for the 1oth anniversary a few years ago.

One of the other things that stands out to me is game 5, when we got that PP in OT, I think everyone in the building could feel that the Cup was ours. Until that weak ass sequence breaking out of our zone. It's a bad memory, but it sticks out.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not during the finals, but that game where NJ scored very late and some fans left before Staal tied it with 3s and then Wallin won it in OT was one of the best moments of that playoffs. The RBC employee that was working the exit doors to the arena said once the horn sounded, a swarm of fans came running back and they just let them all back in.

All of game 7 was incredible. The excitement of the crowd standing the entire game, the tension once Edm scored, the big saves, and the emotion once Williams sealed it.

We were one of the few in the arena that stayed. Watching the swarm come back in was incredible.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I went to almost every game through the first 2 rounds, as my dad bought 2 tickets and ended up traveling the whole time, so I tagged along with my mom. We got to the top of the stairs when Staal scored. I've never left a game early since.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
watching brind'amour entirely take control of game 7 against buffalo in the 3rd period is one of my best hockey memories. it's so easy to forget how close we were to not making the finals at all without that performance. the puck laying in the dead slot and brindy streaking in and finding it before anyone else, driving the net with williams who put home that nifty backhander to make it 4-2 in the dying minutes to let the entire arena exhale. one of the best individual performances by a forward in an elimination game that you'll ever see. he willed that victory.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Wouldn't have happened if the Sabres didn't have to resort to Mike Card. :shakehead

which made it even better. the level of hatred that manifested in that series between both fanbases just made it that much more satisfying, because it seems like both teams knew the stakes. this was the best team either city had produced in perhaps their entire franchise history. that 05-06 buffalo squad was no joke and they had every right to believe they were the team of destiny heading into the series. there might have been some better teams out of buffalo in the next couple of seasons, but it really did feel like that the winner of that series would have a huge advantage in the finals.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Wouldn't have happened if the Sabres didn't have to resort to Mike Card. :shakehead

Or if noted ruffian Justin Williams hadn't carved out Saku Koivu's eyeball with his stick, flung it around by the optic nerve and threw it up into the stands (as you'd do if you were throwing an octopus onto the ice in Detroit). Or if infamous thug Andrew Ladd hadn't taken out poor Dwayne Roloson's knee and then flipped over the ambulance before it could depart to Rex Hospital.

8-6 win over flyers in october was when you knew the team would be special

That's the moment I became a Hurricanes fan right there. That game emphasized how never say die that team was. For me, I'd have to go with Stillman's OT goal to win the Montreal series. Considering we were down 0-2 to start that series, that comeback just sealed the deal for me on the team never giving up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->