Fastest prospect??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I dont know how he stacks up against the other NHL prospects but Blackhawks defenseman prospect Duncan Keith has some serious wheels and is the Hawks fastest prospect. Anyone know if he competed in any kind of fastest skater competition in college or juniors? I would be curious to see how he fared.

I was upset when the Hawks passed on Jiri Hudler and took Duncan Keith but after seeing his speed and how well he moves the puck I think he fits a Hawk organizational need better than Hudler and I now like the pick. He still needs to put on some weight but he looks to have a bright future.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
JasonMacIsaac said:
Anyone from Finland to compare Laine to other players. I once heard he could be the fastest in Finland, I doubt this is true but I bet he is fast though.

According to Jääkiekkolehti (the most popular Finnish hockey magazine in Finland - not necessarily the best), the fastest skaters/team this season are:

Blues - Teemu Elomo
HIFK - Timo Pärssinen
HPK - Jyrki Louhi
Ilves - Marko Luomala
Jokerit - Teemu Laine
JYP - Jaakko Uhlbäck
Kärpät - Pekka Saarenheimo
Lukko - Toni Koivisto
Pelicans - Oliver Setzinger
SaiPa - Sami Kaartinen
Tappara - Kimmo Koskenkorva
TPS - Mika Alatalo
Ässät - Tuomo Harjula

Considering Marko Jantunen (who won the fastest skater competition at the Finnish national team vs. the SM-liiga All Stars game several years ago) plays for Jokerit, Laine has to be pretty darn fast and there's a possibility that he's the fastest skater in the SM-liiga right now. But of the Finnish prospects, Salmelainen is probably a bit faster.

JasonMacIsaac

He used to be a competitive speed skater so I guess that can help.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well here's something that makes you wonder.
When asked about his incredible speed, Koltsov answers that there's a guy in Russia who's MUCH faster than him.
You got to wonder how it is possible.
I'll try to find the guy's name in the article somewhere, and maybe some russians posters can help us...

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Euro said:
From what I read during the draft the guy can fly and he was one of the fastest in the draft.

Somehow there's something special about his speed. Several article's list that he has decent speed, some that he should work on his skating, and then you have some that mentions he is very fast..

I just choose the middle.. savest..

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
slats432 said:
Prospect: Tony Salmelainen(EDM) and Konstantin Koltsov(PIT)

NHLer: Jason Chimera was clocked with the fastest time ever in a lap around an NHL rink, so to be the man, you have to beat the man.

I agree I think Jason Chimera is the fastest player in the league bar none..

Robert Paulson*

Prospect: Konstantin Koltsov
NHLer: Konstantin Koltsov

'nuff said..

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Evilo said:
Well here's something that makes you wonder.
When asked about his incredible speed, Koltsov answers that there's a guy in Russia who's MUCH faster than him.
You got to wonder how it is possible.
I'll try to find the guy's name in the article somewhere, and maybe some russians posters can help us...

Koltsov's also very modest. He says that guys like Meloche and Fata are probably faster than him, but Pens fans know they're not.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
LetsGoPens63 said:
Just incase not everyone has seen it:

http://pittsburghpenguins.com/multimedia/files/092603-Koltsovgoal3a.rm

I, for one, have never seen a person flip the puck over the defenders on a dump then proceed to beat them to it and score a goal. I think Koltsov will be the leader in self-assists.

It was a nice goal, and he is obviously very fast, but it wasn't that special. he merely outskated one or two defenders on the BJ's.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
PhoPhan said:
It was a nice goal, and he is obviously very fast, but it wasn't that special. he merely outskated one or two defenders on the BJ's.

Exactly what I thought. I've seen Koltsov faster than that.

IGM

May 26, 2002
Visit site
1 Koltsov
2 Tambellini
3. Pushkaryov

They said prospects didn't they? Chimera is ungodly fast for the pros.

highjumper

Fast

reffree said:
Martin Samuelson is suppose to be very quick
but don't know if is faster than Koltsov...
don't have see Koltsow play

While Eager's offensive skills are still developing, it's surprising that he doesn't get more recognition for his skating skills - especially since he is one of the fastest ...

nordique

Tie Domi won the fastest skater competition for the Leafs last year...

momentai

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
Joey24 said:
I agree I think Jason Chimera is the fastest player in the league bar none..

Food for thought. The Oiler prospect Tony Salmalainen might just be faster if not equal to Jason in speed.

dink182

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
Pavel Bure in his prime. Others may be able to match his top speed, but Bure has blinding acceleration. Forget the lap times, Bure's a world class gamebraker.

Scott Niedermayer is a phenomenal skater back on D.

Straka is underrated.

Bandon Reid is one fast squirt, too.

Whatever happened to Selanne and Kariya? Selanne was fast in Winnipeg and Kariya was too in the late 90's. Haven't seen either one fly down the ice in a while.

eh

Sampe said:
Considering Marko Jantunen (who won the fastest skater competition at the Finnish national team vs. the SM-liiga All Stars game several years ago) plays for Jokerit, Laine has to be pretty darn fast and there's a possibility that he's the fastest skater in the SM-liiga right now. But of the Finnish prospects, Salmelainen is probably a bit faster.

It just depends on what is meant by "fastest skater". If they'd skate around the rink once or twice, I'd say that Salmelainen is faster, too, but if it was just a 10-20 meter spurt, Laine would win. His acceleration is just amazing. I've never seen a hockey player who could compete with his first couple of steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad