Fantilli vs. Celebrini

As a draft eligible prospect, which would you draft first?

• Celebrini

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • Fantilli

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
Ignoring Fantilli's rookie year in the NHL and considering him as he was before the draft, would you rather draft Celebrini?

Both are highly regarded Canadian center prospects with Italian-sounding names who opted to play in the NCAA in their draft year and produced comparable numbers. I would think they are of a similar level of talent, and, having myself limited player evaluation ability, I defer to the HF mob to answer this question.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It is a good comp and similarities are crazy close
Bothe products of the Chicago steel like Owen power before them

When people compared Eichel’s season to Fantilli and scoring and such, it was tougher as both won the hobey baker, but eichel had an easier SOS, which was 22nd in the nation.

-Fantilli with Michigan had the 2nd toughest SOS in the nation
-Celebrini with BU has the highest SOS in the nation

So that makes the seasons good comps right there

30 goals in 36 for fantilli
30 goals in 33 games for celebrini

Celebrini has been healthier
Fantilli and Michigan got destroyed by a rare adenovirus and he missed 2 weeks,they had a player put into a coma because of it, 7 or 8 guys out of the lineup and had a 3rd string goalie playing 4th line Wing they were so short handed. He only played like 12 minutes a game under strict medical guidelines when he recovered after missing a couple weeks as his lungs were filled with fluid, then left for the WJC.

Both have dynamic defenseman in Hughes and Hutson who are elite elite transition defenders

Fantilli was way more dangerous off the rush and how he got a ton of points, he would back defense right up as they had to respect his skating.

Celebrini is more cerebral with controlled zone entries and including his teammates. Letting plays develop.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
It is a good comp and similarities are crazy close
Bothe products of the Chicago steel like Owen power before them

When people compared Eichel’s season to Fantilli and scoring and such, it was tougher as both won the hobey baker, but eichel had an easier SOS, which was 22nd in the nation.

-Fantilli with Michigan had the 2nd toughest SOS in the nation
-Celebrini with BU has the highest SOS in the nation

So that makes the seasons good comps right there

30 goals in 36 for fantilli
30 goals in 33 games for celebrini

Celebrini has been healthier
Fantilli and Michigan got destroyed by a rare adenovirus and he missed 2 weeks,they had a player put into a coma because of it, 7 or 8 guys out of the lineup and had a 3rd string goalie playing 4th line Wing they were so short handed. He only played like 12 minutes a game under strict medical guidelines when he recovered after missing a couple weeks as his lungs were filled with fluid, then left for the WJC.

Both have dynamic defenseman in Hughes and Hutson who are elite elite transition defenders

Fantilli was way more dangerous off the rush and how he got a ton of points, he would back defense right up as they had to respect his skating.

Celebrini is more cerebral with controlled zone entries and including his teammates. Letting plays develop.
Age is a significant difference when comparing their college seasons, Celebrini is ~8 months younger than Fantilli was during his draft year. Both had nuts NCAA rookie seasons, but Celebrini doing this at 17 is extra wild. 8 months is a significant amount of development at ~17-18 years old.

But yeah, I agree that Fantilli has/had better physical tools, while Celebrini has higher hockey IQ. I personally prefer Celebrini, but it’s very arguable and I can totally see why some ppl prefer Fantilli.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad