Fantasy Hockey pool guides 2016-2017

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I used to do the same thing for the sports forecaster magazine and decided the gas and time I'm wasting pretty much equalled the 6.95 shipping charge to order it online / delivered right to my door 2 days later.

otoh , I found that my local wal-mart stocks a pretty good sport section in their book/magazine section of the store so maybe give them a whirl

Found it today, about to read it soon!

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't play fantasy pools but was wondering which is the best one to get as an yearbook, I'm guessing it's still the Forecaster because of their profiles? I don't think the THN does individual profiles even in their yearbook, just general projections and I know McKeen's does have scouting reports but it omits a bunch of players from them.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I don't play fantasy pools but was wondering which is the best one to get as an yearbook, I'm guessing it's still the Forecaster because of their profiles? I don't think the THN does individual profiles even in their yearbook, just general projections and I know McKeen's does have scouting reports but it omits a bunch of players from them.
I really like THN's Yearbook (moreso than their fantasy one) because it has high publication quality (images, graphics, etc.), and allows for contributions from local writers - making the write-ups in-depth and opinionated, instead of stale and expected.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008

Check out Dobber. Only comes in digital, but you get free updates well into the season as things change. Those guys don't leave any stone unturned. You might think it's less legit because it isn't in print, but Dobber and his team write for THN and Sportsnet. They're good at what they do.

cpitcher

Jan 26, 2015
Freidorf, Romania
Is McKeens coming out with a paper magazine? If I want digital, there are too many free options so I wont pay for the service. Now a paper magazine, I prefer McKeens when they published, second would be the Forcaster followed by THN in a distant third.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Is McKeens coming out with a paper magazine? If I want digital, there are too many free options so I wont pay for the service. Now a paper magazine, I prefer McKeens when they published, second would be the Forcaster followed by THN in a distant third.

I wish they bring back there printed magazine but I can't see that happening.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Which ones do you use? I've never used anything besides THN and Sportsnet, but I'm thinking of giving one of the digital version listed in the original post.

I see the Sportsnet Pool Guide came out yesterday

parm09

Aug 10, 2011
If anyone is willing to trade hockey guides send me a dm. I have the hockey news guide up for trade. Thanks.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
McKeen's used to have the best player write-ups of all publications. Now, they've totally changed their approach and concentrate solely on the silly stats. Nothing on the skills, strengths and weaknesses of players like they did so well... Very disappointing.

FantasyRef

Jun 8, 2016
For any of those interested I created a statistical review of the projections from 6 guides for the 15/16 season. I plan on doing it every year from here on out. Will include LeftWingLock this season.

McKeens had the best Rank Predictions last year, and TSN (Scott Cullen) had the best Pts Predictions and (2nd Best Rank predictions).

I examined 5 categories - Pts, G, A, Wins, Shutouts.

http://fantasyref.ca/rankings/

FantasyRef

Jun 8, 2016
No More SO Predictions

One thing that I have noticed this season is the absence of SO predictions for both McKeens and TSN. Very interesting.... I still think SO are used in most leagues?? More so than SV%... which both included in projections.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
Which package do you guys recommend for Dobber's? If you buy the $10 guide, do you get in-season updates?

FantasyRef

Jun 8, 2016
Depends on how your league is set up

The Ultimate Fantasy Pack has everything for 29.99. Dobber will give updates with Fantasy insight throughout the year for free on his website.

turnbullm14

Mar 18, 2015
Detorit, MI
Veterans Day Fantasy Advice - God Bless

Today is Veterans Day. We honor the soldiers who have given the ultimate sacrifice to allow us to live the free life we do today. Today we ignore the Colin Kaepernick type who find it "necessary" to disrespect our country and our soldiers. Today we are thankful to be free and thankful to be able to offer up some Veterans Day NHL Fantasy Picks. These are the types of men who stand for the anthem and respect the heroes whom have given their lives to allow them to play the fastest game on earth: hockey.

Claude Giroux - C - Philadelphia Flyers: The captain is off to a quick start this NHL season with 15 points in 14 games. Expect a good outing tonight against the young team from Toronto, who gave up a seven spot to LA on Tuesday.

2&Ten Fantasy Forecast: PPG, 1A, +1, 3 SOG.

Taylor Hall - LW - New Jersey Devils: After being traded away from the high-flying Oilers, Hall quickly fell into place with the Devils. Through 12 games he is averaging almost 4.5 shots on goal a game. He is firing the puck from all over and it seems to be paying off for him with 9 points in 12 games. Keep an eye out for him tonight with a favorable matchup against the Sabres.

2&Ten Fantasy Forecast: 1G, +1, 4 SOG.

Artemi Panarin - LW - Chicago Blackhawks: A slow start to the season for the "Breadman", but he has started to turn things around. He has 10 points in his last 7 games and looks to add to that total tonight against the Caps.

2&Ten Fantasy Forecast: 2A, 2 PIM, 3 SOG.

WILDCARD PICK: Jordan Eberle - RW - Edmonton Oilers: After a hot start to the year, Eberle has gone through some ups and downs. His last outing was a 3 point effort against the Pens. Lets hope this has jump started a point streak.

2&Ten Fantasy Forecast: 1G, 1A, +1, 3 SOG

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->