Fantasy Hockey pool guides 2016-2017

Mind

Mar 5, 2015
If someone already bought Forecaster, can you tell me how many players there is with 70+ points projection.

I think i'm not buying this guide because they always have like 40 players with 70+ pts. They boost the **** out of those projections, and it's very bad for the spreasheet I prepare (rekt the standard deviation and stuffs).

For the sake of comparison, Dobber has 21 players with 70+, THN has 25, Pool Pro has 22.

I just want to know if they adjust versus last year.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Yeah Forecaster has terrible projections but everyone is inflated so I more look at where people finish in the scoring race. Also love their breakouts and sleepers sections. Hopefully the mag is out before the end of the week, early next week at the latest I'd say.

Mind

Mar 5, 2015
Yeah Forecaster has terrible projections but everyone is inflated so I more look at where people finish in the scoring race. Also love their breakouts and sleepers sections. Hopefully the mag is out before the end of the week, early next week at the latest I'd say.

I hope they adjust one day !

Maverick

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
If someone already bought Forecaster, can you tell me how many players there is with 70+ points projection.

I think i'm not buying this guide because they always have like 40 players with 70+ pts. They boost the **** out of those projections, and it's very bad for the spreasheet I prepare (rekt the standard deviation and stuffs).

For the sake of comparison, Dobber has 21 players with 70+, THN has 25, Pool Pro has 22.

I haven't seen the Forecaster yet, but I thought I'd mention that Left Wing Lock's draft kit has (currently, it's being updated fairly frequently) 17 players with 70+ points. It's a tad pessimistic on a few players based on regression of their shooting percentages, etc., but it's a very interesting point of view.

The guide isn't flashy with many colourful pictures or anything, but it's a decent read and contains a ton of helpful mathematical analysis. Link to purchase is below:
http://leftwinglock.com/draftkits/index.php?rid=8964

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Do you have any thoughts on which is the best guide for H2H keeper or dynasty leagues? I was thinking about giving left wing lock a try.

I've got LWL for the first time this year and it seems to be pretty good with the way you can customize the spreadsheets to your leagues categories. I find a lot of magazines go strictly points only and miss out on a lot of the other stats that are a big part of H2H leagues

Thibaj

Aug 5, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

I just bought it. There is 33 players with 70+points in Forecaster (Giroux and up).

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Forecaster and THN are my go-to pool guides every year. I agree Forecaster has crazy stat projections but like Leviathan said, just use it for the rankings. My favourite part of their guide is the breakout/sleeper pick section; great read to say the least.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I picked up Forecaster today in Toronto and it's a bit bizarre. I'll give them credit for sticking their neck out but they have Muzzin getting just 6 goals and 29 points (while playing an almost full season). Nothing suggests that will happen; seems like total shot in the dark, no? Muzzin puts so many pucks on net and should get prime minutes ES and PP, how could he have such a demise?

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
I picked up Forecaster today in Toronto and it's a bit bizarre. I'll give them credit for sticking their neck out but they have Muzzin getting just 6 goals and 29 points (while playing an almost full season). Nothing suggests that will happen; seems like total shot in the dark, no? Muzzin puts so many pucks on net and should get prime minutes ES and PP, how could he have such a demise?

Ya that seems wrong . He was a guy I was looking for as a underdog in my standard yahoo categories with hits added. No way he just gets 29 points.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
nothing wrong with the forecaster point projections for islander players .

seems modest enough to me.

Mind

Mar 5, 2015
Bought LWL this morning and , my first observations : they really are conservative on some guys.

The first one that come to mind is Ristolainen with 27. I don't know how they calculate their numbers, but it might takes previous years a little too much in consideration.

The thing I like is that they don't wait on updating player's projection. I think they can adjust and by the end of the month, their projections will be on point.

Projections aside, it's a really complete guide with tons of different analysis.

WobblyPop

Aug 30, 2007
Has anyone tried Steve's Cheat Sheet? http://www.stevescheatsheet.ca He uses all the below sports magazines in a cross reference sheet to help speed research.
Almost that time of year.

What's your magazine?

Schedule:
Dobber - Aug 1
THN - Early August
The Forecaster - mid to late August
Sportsnet - not sure, late August I think
McKeens - early September, aka too late.

there's some other ones out there too. feel free to share

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Went out today to 3 stores in southern Alberta to find THN. Couldn't find it, I hope it's out soon though

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
THN projects Darren Helm to score more goals than Tomas Tatar. That is one of the most ridiculous projections I have ever seen.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Seems like a copyright infringement nightmare. Kinda shady to charge to simply give away the projections of other publications.

since he's charging 9.95$ I'll agree thats its definately shady .if he was just a dude geeking out on this sort of thing and offering it to his poolies as tools to use thats a different story.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Went out today to 3 stores in southern Alberta to find THN. Couldn't find it, I hope it's out soon though

I used to do the same thing for the sports forecaster magazine and decided the gas and time I'm wasting pretty much equalled the 6.95 shipping charge to order it online / delivered right to my door 2 days later.

otoh , I found that my local wal-mart stocks a pretty good sport section in their book/magazine section of the store so maybe give them a whirl

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
i buy 3 or 4 and then adjust their projections based on historical accuracy

most are about 80 to 85% accurate so you reduce the projections by about 15 to 20%

except TSN which needs to be inflated by 15%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad