Fantasy Baseball Thread V

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, I'd say the same in that deal.

I'm trying to think about ways to free up a spot to use as a streaming pitcher, since in my league (H2H points), I tend to dislike having position players on the bench if I can help it/my position players are all strong. I have Benintendi, Acuña, Bell, and Cain, and only really three spots between them (I also have a struggling Gregory Polanco, but he's RF eligible and none of my other players are, and we have the dedicated OF spots, not just three generic ones).

Option 1 is just cutting ties with Bell, who has been struggling but I don't think it will continue.

Option 2 is trying to make a play for a pitcher in a 2-for-1. The guy with Kershaw has him on the block, and I'm tempted to offer up Benintendi and Keuchel for him, but I think it's a little bit of an overpayment, and Kershaw's salary is probably too high to keep him.

Option 3 is to keep a wait and see approach. Benintendi sits vs. lefties, and it's easy enough to only rotate Bell back in once he finds a groove, and try to go for power vs. weak righties.

I'm also thinking that I could try and drop Bell for a starting option, and then re-add him at league minimum later in the week. I think he's performed poorly enough at a deep position that nobody will really want to jump on him. Part of my reticence to give up on him was the hope of him taking some more steps this year and becoming a value option closer to the top of the pack.

I wouldn’t cut Bell. In my salary league, you aren’t allowed to bid for a player after you cut him unless a month has passed.

Benintendi and Keuchel for Kershaw is probably a slight overpayment. But I’m not really a Keuchel fan.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I wouldn’t cut Bell. In my salary league, you aren’t allowed to bid for a player after you cut him unless a month has passed.

Benintendi and Keuchel for Kershaw is probably a slight overpayment. But I’m not really a Keuchel fan.

Thanks. Yeah I've come to loathe Keuchel. I might see if I can pull it off, but for now I think I'll wait. The guy who has Kluber is completely rebuilding, and so I might see if he's tempted to give him up for some of my young hitters, but I imagine he'd want Hoskins or Acuna as the starting point.

That's a good rule to have. I might be able to sneak doing it (his salary is 10 now maybe?), but I'll wait and see. The only real useful situational pitcher hanging around is Leake, who I just dropped. Everything else isn't worth touching unless it's desperation time. And most rookies and young prospects are already rostered.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the replies @rangerssharks414 and @DJ Spinoza. Am I crazy for considering moving Kershaw for Bryant in some form? (That was the other owner's first offer after I approached him about Kershaw/Bryant.) Am I way off base? Should I not bother countering?

Without knowing your scoring system and the rest of your roster, I'd keep Kershaw.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yeah obviously there are details but I'm not going to bog the place down with all that. Thanks.

Kershaw is my dynasty player, so I suspect I'm just getting itchy after having him for however-long I've been playing in this league (7-8 years?)

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I would also not move Kershaw, although I think Kershaw is no longer a big step ahead of the other elite SPs. But for Bryant, I wouldn't do it. For Trout or Altuve, probably, but not for Bryant.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I need to replace Seager. Worth taking the flyer on Kingery, or should I jump on the hot bat in Robertson (Rays)? Doesn't seem like there's huge upside with either. Maybe Kingery heats up, but I still worry about every day at bats.

Our FAAB is only tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday. While Kingery has some ok matchups, so does Robertson, so I just put in a mildly aggressive bid for him and will just ride his hot streak I guess. (Coincidentally, my opponent has temporarily lost LeMehieu, and both these guys are 2B eligible too, so I'm thinking there may be some competition. I think $3 should be enough to snag him).

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Anthony Rizzo is killing me so far. I know he was on the DL there for a stretch, but he's only hitting .149 with 1 homer (hit on the season opener, I believe) and 9 RBI's. I feel like I'm going to need to bench him pretty soon until he turns it around.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I need to replace Seager. Worth taking the flyer on Kingery, or should I jump on the hot bat in Robertson (Rays)? Doesn't seem like there's huge upside with either. Maybe Kingery heats up, but I still worry about every day at bats.

Our FAAB is only tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday. While Kingery has some ok matchups, so does Robertson, so I just put in a mildly aggressive bid for him and will just ride his hot streak I guess. (Coincidentally, my opponent has temporarily lost LeMehieu, and both these guys are 2B eligible too, so I'm thinking there may be some competition. I think $3 should be enough to snag him).

I’d put bids in for both.

Anthony Rizzo is killing me so far. I know he was on the DL there for a stretch, but he's only hitting .149 with 1 homer (hit on the season opener, I believe) and 9 RBI's. I feel like I'm going to need to bench him pretty soon until he turns it around.

I didn’t even realize that he was having such a ****ty season.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I ended up going for Tim Anderson for temporary SS, though Kingery is still available. I think I'd like to keep an eye on him and see if he has two or three games where it seems like he's heating up. Though Anderson also seems a bit feast or famine.

I've had Seager for 3 years, so I'm sort of at a loss strategically about how to even think of the SS options.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I may need to pull the plug on my Tyler Glasnow experiment. I've been holding him with the hopes of both him becoming RP eligible and him eventually taking over in the rotation and succeeding.

I've seen all his appearances, and don't want to let lateness bias enter in, but I think the reality is that he's in mop up duty for the foreseeable future, and probably will have some inconsistent outings. He's probably just not worth the roster spot just yet. He's like a speculative future Hader, and I'd be more aggressive in my thinking if I thought a starting spot might open up for him, but with Kingham pitching well and Musgrove rehabbing, it doesn't look like there will be room for months.

Basically typing all this out to confirm that it's more my homerism than a patient decision to keep him. He'll be RP eligible with two more appearances, so I could just wait and stick him there: currently my crop is Kimbrel, Vazquez, Hand, Herrera, and Caleb Smith. I'm just going to gamble on Smith continuing, but it seems like neither he nor Herrera are huge upside plays. (I tossed Holland, he's just too hittable, even though I think he'll put it together).

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I may need to pull the plug on my Tyler Glasnow experiment. I've been holding him with the hopes of both him becoming RP eligible and him eventually taking over in the rotation and succeeding.

I've seen all his appearances, and don't want to let lateness bias enter in, but I think the reality is that he's in mop up duty for the foreseeable future, and probably will have some inconsistent outings. He's probably just not worth the roster spot just yet. He's like a speculative future Hader, and I'd be more aggressive in my thinking if I thought a starting spot might open up for him, but with Kingham pitching well and Musgrove rehabbing, it doesn't look like there will be room for months.

Basically typing all this out to confirm that it's more my homerism than a patient decision to keep him. He'll be RP eligible with two more appearances, so I could just wait and stick him there: currently my crop is Kimbrel, Vazquez, Hand, Herrera, and Caleb Smith. I'm just going to gamble on Smith continuing, but it seems like neither he nor Herrera are huge upside plays. (I tossed Holland, he's just too hittable, even though I think he'll put it together).

Yeah, Glasnow is probably a lost cause for this year, especially if you want to win. I still think he has a ton of potential, but his fantasy value is nothing if he's the mop up guy.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Could use some help brainstorming a trade. A guy in last place just put up most of his rental-ish players on the block, including some good young guys. One was Fulmer, who I was going to roll the dice on seeing if he'd trade straight up for Keuchel, but I was too slow to propose (he moved Fulmer in a deal for Buehler, and I doubt the value was any good).

I am thinking of proposing this:

My Keuchel (11), Benintendi (6), and Bell (10)
His Devers (2), Manaea (7), and Lester (31)

He has both Manaea and Lester on the block. I imagine Devers would be a sticking point since he's rebuilding, but I'm thinking that reaching in my pocket for my second best value keeper (I have Hoskins at $8) might offset that somewhat.

However, I don't know if the value is good enough in the short term, and I'm not so sure how much I believe in Manaea long term because I haven't watched him at all this year. Lester is maybe not worth seeking out, but I can't imagine he'll have success in moving him for much of value.

What the trade would allow me to do is have Devers at 3B and move Castellanos into my RF spot, replacing Polanco, although Polanco would slide into a U spot. I may be outthinking myself here, but I think it's reasonable value on both sides. Counting stats like R and RBI don't matter in our league.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Could use some help brainstorming a trade. A guy in last place just put up most of his rental-ish players on the block, including some good young guys. One was Fulmer, who I was going to roll the dice on seeing if he'd trade straight up for Keuchel, but I was too slow to propose (he moved Fulmer in a deal for Buehler, and I doubt the value was any good).

I am thinking of proposing this:

My Keuchel (11), Benintendi (6), and Bell (10)
His Devers (2), Manaea (7), and Lester (31)

He has both Manaea and Lester on the block. I imagine Devers would be a sticking point since he's rebuilding, but I'm thinking that reaching in my pocket for my second best value keeper (I have Hoskins at $8) might offset that somewhat.

However, I don't know if the value is good enough in the short term, and I'm not so sure how much I believe in Manaea long term because I haven't watched him at all this year. Lester is maybe not worth seeking out, but I can't imagine he'll have success in moving him for much of value.

What the trade would allow me to do is have Devers at 3B and move Castellanos into my RF spot, replacing Polanco, although Polanco would slide into a U spot. I may be outthinking myself here, but I think it's reasonable value on both sides. Counting stats like R and RBI don't matter in our league.

No way. That would be a terrible offer. Benintendi is a top 15ish dynasty guy, and Lester is borderline droppable at $31. I do like the idea of selling Keuchel, but not at the cost of Benintendi.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Thoughts on my Kyle Seager and Aroldis Chapman for his Miguel Cabrera and Dallas Keuchel? I currently lead the league in saves and need a good SP pretty badly.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thoughts on my Kyle Seager and Aroldis Chapman for his Miguel Cabrera and Dallas Keuchel? I currently lead the league in saves and need a good SP pretty badly.

Isn’t Cabrera hurt?

I’m not the biggest Keuchel fan in the world, but he’s decent. I’d ask for someone else other than Miggy.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
No way. That would be a terrible offer. Benintendi is a top 15ish dynasty guy, and Lester is borderline droppable at $31. I do like the idea of selling Keuchel, but not at the cost of Benintendi.

Thanks for keeping my head on straight - I'm not sure why I've become so dead set on shopping Benintendi, especially at that price. My initial thought process was that getting Castellanos into my RF spot instead of Polanco would be a big boost, which is true, but becomes meaningless if I still have Polanco starting everyday at Util anyways. I'm going to just sit tight for now - almost definitely losing the matchup this week to drop to 2-2. I can't seem to have all aspects of my lineup in sync. Last week Taillon and other pitchers getting mashed, this week Hoskins, Acuna more or less no shows.

Somebody just dropped Dansby Swanson. I might take a flier on him for SS once he's healthy? I like Tim Anderson ok for the speed, but Swanson might be better for H2H points if he's putting things together at the plate this year.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thanks for keeping my head on straight - I'm not sure why I've become so dead set on shopping Benintendi, especially at that price. My initial thought process was that getting Castellanos into my RF spot instead of Polanco would be a big boost, which is true, but becomes meaningless if I still have Polanco starting everyday at Util anyways. I'm going to just sit tight for now - almost definitely losing the matchup this week to drop to 2-2. I can't seem to have all aspects of my lineup in sync. Last week Taillon and other pitchers getting mashed, this week Hoskins, Acuna more or less no shows.

Somebody just dropped Dansby Swanson. I might take a flier on him for SS once he's healthy? I like Tim Anderson ok for the speed, but Swanson might be better for H2H points if he's putting things together at the plate this year.

Yeah, I don't think steals are worth that many points in those type of leagues, anyway. Swanson is a better hitter than Anderson, it looks like.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
My Aroldis Chapman and Brantley for his Junis and Nelson Cruz. I lead the league in saves and need wins, pitching ratios, and offense. Thoughts?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
What would be the timeline for Corey Seagers return? Sometime next year or will it be the year after that? He was dropped in my keeper league so I was thinking of picking him up and stashing him in my DL spot all year and keeping him for a 21st or 22nd round pick next year if he’ll be back sometime next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad