Fantasy Baseball Thread V

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Too early to jump off the Holland train? I can't imagine the Cardinals are going to give up on him as closer so soon, but it seems like it might take quite a while to ease him into the role, and I'm not sure getting hammered with negative points for an indefinite amount of time is worth the eventual payoff.

I'm in a league where you have to roster 5 RPs, and thought I might finally have managed to have some strength there. Have Vazquez, paid for Kimbrel in the re-draft, spent decently on Hand, snatched Strickland on the cheap, and aggressively bid on Holland, but seems like only the first three are working out.

Bleh, my fantasy teams are performing like the Pirates lately - abysmally.

Do you have to start exactly five relievers? If not, I'd bench him for awhile.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, that's the issue - you have the start five RPs in order to have a legal lineup. So I could add some other filler and keep him on the bench, but the best strategy is having SPs on the bench, and I'm already carrying Acuna (when he is called up, I'll probably come in for some more advice, because I'd like to use that extra spot for a pitcher, and don't really have droppable batters - my Util are Cain and Bell; I think what I might do is try and trade Benintendi for a good pitcher).

I think I might just hope for the best and ride it out with Holland for at least two more weeks. It's a H2H points league, so I'll be a lot less mad if I can pull off the win this week, but I'm trailing fairly big early on, so we'll see...

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, that's the issue - you have the start five RPs in order to have a legal lineup. So I could add some other filler and keep him on the bench, but the best strategy is having SPs on the bench, and I'm already carrying Acuna (when he is called up, I'll probably come in for some more advice, because I'd like to use that extra spot for a pitcher, and don't really have droppable batters - my Util are Cain and Bell; I think what I might do is try and trade Benintendi for a good pitcher).

I think I might just hope for the best and ride it out with Holland for at least two more weeks. It's a H2H points league, so I'll be a lot less mad if I can pull off the win this week, but I'm trailing fairly big early on, so we'll see...

Benintendi is probably a top 15 dynasty guy. I wouldn't be in any hurry to move him.

And yeah, I keep almost all SPs on my bench for H2H as well.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, but good pitcher I should have clarified and said Kluber (the team who has him is very bad otherwise), but I doubt my opponent will do it. Our league has become somewhat boring because a lot of the really great players got locked into pretty cheap salaries, so the draft tends to be slim pickings. I hope this shifts next year, because even though being in a deep league is pretty fun, having all 12 teams keep 10 players introduces less parity over time it seems.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, but good pitcher I should have clarified and said Kluber (the team who has him is very bad otherwise), but I doubt my opponent will do it. Our league has become somewhat boring because a lot of the really great players got locked into pretty cheap salaries, so the draft tends to be slim pickings. I hope this shifts next year, because even though being in a deep league is pretty fun, having all 12 teams keep 10 players introduces less parity over time it seems.

Is that Phillies reliever (whose name escapes me) available?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Neris? He is rostered, but I am mulling over whether it's worth the gamble on Matt Wisler, who is RP eligible.

I guess another thing I didn't mention is that I'm rostering Glasnow with the assumption he may eventually become a SPARP. I'm waiting on his RP eligibility, but I imagine it will happen in the next couple of weeks, so my thinking has been that I can jettison Holland or Strickland at that time, if they aren't performing.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Neris? He is rostered, but I am mulling over whether it's worth the gamble on Matt Wisler, who is RP eligible.

I guess another thing I didn't mention is that I'm rostering Glasnow with the assumption he may eventually become a SPARP. I'm waiting on his RP eligibility, but I imagine it will happen in the next couple of weeks, so my thinking has been that I can jettison Holland or Strickland at that time, if they aren't performing.

Arano is the guy’s name.

Meh on Wisler. Are you allowed to start a starter in a reliever spot if they’re eligible? In one of mine, you can’t even if they’re dual eligible.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, he's available and looks to be racking up solid points in my league, which will probably tick up if he moves to higher leverage (holds count for points too).

You can have starters in a reliever spot if they are eligible, and it's a fairly useful strategy, although sometimes dicey, since you can't really roster more than the minimum RPs, which makes streaming an RP-eligible SP a challenge. I'm playing with fire already with Glasnow (which hurts somewhat because I could use that spot to stream a starter), but I do think he might be closer to figuring everything out.

Wisler has been useful for me as a streamer before, but I doubt he's as good going forward as he was last night, so I'll hold off. I will keep an eye on Arano, but for now I think I'll tread water with Holland/Strickland for a bit longer.

I'm basically operating with a shorter bench because I am holding Acuna, as well as kinda having Glasnow in an SP spot as an RP. But Glasnow can be pretty useful when he gets into games because his strikeouts inflate his points a lot in my league. It seems like I might pull off a W this week, which will give me more space to wait on Acuna/Glasnow's RP eligibility and then make some decisions after that about the roster and how to maximize my bench use.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, he's available and looks to be racking up solid points in my league, which will probably tick up if he moves to higher leverage (holds count for points too).

You can have starters in a reliever spot if they are eligible, and it's a fairly useful strategy, although sometimes dicey, since you can't really roster more than the minimum RPs, which makes streaming an RP-eligible SP a challenge. I'm playing with fire already with Glasnow (which hurts somewhat because I could use that spot to stream a starter), but I do think he might be closer to figuring everything out.

Wisler has been useful for me as a streamer before, but I doubt he's as good going forward as he was last night, so I'll hold off. I will keep an eye on Arano, but for now I think I'll tread water with Holland/Strickland for a bit longer.

I'm basically operating with a shorter bench because I am holding Acuna, as well as kinda having Glasnow in an SP spot as an RP. But Glasnow can be pretty useful when he gets into games because his strikeouts inflate his points a lot in my league. It seems like I might pull off a W this week, which will give me more space to wait on Acuna/Glasnow's RP eligibility and then make some decisions after that about the roster and how to maximize my bench use.

I thought Acuna would be up by now, but he's playing poorly at Triple-A, and Tucker is playing really well in the majors.

The thing with Glasnow is you never know when he'll pitch. He only pitched a long time last night because Taillon was garbage (which I'm sure you're aware of since you are a Pirates fan).

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, that's the tricky problem with the situation of a mopup guy. My read is that they may eventually try and use him in higher leverage situations, but that they also want to keep him kinda stretched out in the event that a rotation spot opens up. So my long-term kinda strategy is to hope I have him as a SP with RP eligibility later in the summer, but I need to establish some kind of cutoff point, especially since he's a player / team I'm rooting for.

I think the rotation situation is fairly fluid: Kuhl is closer and closer to thin ice, and Brault is just holding the fort until Musgrove is ready. I expect Musgrove to be pretty solid in the NL, but I think one rotation spot will eventually be open without even accounting for inevitable injuries.

Problem is, they already turned to Brault as a fill-in, and I wouldn't be shocked if they just want Glasnow getting outs all season in MLB, and won't attempt anything like putting him back in the rotation right away. He's still just 24, so they can easily have him do bullpen duty all season, and revisit starting again next year. For now, I'm riding it out a bit in the hope that he might take one of those spots in June or July. It could behoove the Pirates to try it out once more anyways, since the rotation is already somewhat crowded, and Keller will at least be knocking at the door by spring training next year. Glasnow just has the tempting ceiling -- a fixed Glasnow paired with Taillon and Keller would give them a potentially great core, supplemented by useful guys like Williams and Musgrove. Who knows, Glasnow seems like a safe bet to remain an enigma, but I will say that he looks like an objectively different pitcher this year now that he more or less knows where the fastball is going.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Looking for trade advice. Have been shopping SS due to having all three of Gregorius, Story and Simmons. Just got an offer of Bellinger straight up for Didi. Perfect time to sell high on the Yankee? One year league, H2H. Normal categories.

I also have Judge and Stanton so having the 2-3-4 guys in the Yankees lineup has been really appealing for me but I've been really limited in lineup flexibility having three must-play SS on my roster.

Any advice would be appreciated.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Is Ryan Zimmerman due to break out?

I would say that last year was a fluke. He isn't this bad, but I wasn't expecting anything close to what he did last year.

Looking for trade advice. Have been shopping SS due to having all three of Gregorius, Story and Simmons. Just got an offer of Bellinger straight up for Didi. Perfect time to sell high on the Yankee? One year league, H2H. Normal categories.

I also have Judge and Stanton so having the 2-3-4 guys in the Yankees lineup has been really appealing for me but I've been really limited in lineup flexibility having three must-play SS on my roster.

Call me crazy, but I don't think I'd do that. I don't pay for last year's stats. Didi could hit as many or more homers than Bellinger this year. Bellinger probably has a lot of name value. He's a good player, but I feel like his name value makes him seem better than he is.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, although I also think it's crazy, I don't think I'd pull the trigger on Didi for Bellinger. Too many strikeouts for the latter IMO.

I have a non-neglible chance of losing today because I was mad at how the Pirates have been playing and put Josh Bell on my bench symbolically like a dumbass to start Acuna, missing out on Bell's single at-bat today, which was a triple.

Probably won't matter, because I only have a 10 point lead and he has Alex Wood going tonight, so I need Wood to either give up 3 home runs and get blasted, or else I'd lose even with Bell's points, but my fantasy performance has mirrored the Pirates actual awful week.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

I should ask... can you start all three shortstops at the same time, whether it's a SS, MI, IF or Util?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This is like the fantasy equivalent of a TOOTBLAN but worse. I'm trailing by 3 or 4 points, and Wood is probably out of the game. Had I started Bell, as normal, I would have won... now I need Seager to come up again and either take a walk or get a hit.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Call me crazy, but I don't think I'd do that. I don't pay for last year's stats. Didi could hit as many or more homers than Bellinger this year. Bellinger probably has a lot of name value. He's a good player, but I feel like his name value makes him seem better than he is.

Appreciate the response. I floated it elsewhere and other advice echoed yours.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This is like the fantasy equivalent of a TOOTBLAN but worse. I'm trailing by 3 or 4 points, and Wood is probably out of the game. Had I started Bell, as normal, I would have won... now I need Seager to come up again and either take a walk or get a hit.

I lost by 3 points. Josh Bell's triple was worth something like 9.2, and he was on my bench for Ronald Acuna, who was in the minors.

I guess maybe I assumed Bell would get -4 points because he was in a slump (if he went 0-4), so it was quasi-strategic, but entering the day on Sunday I had a narrow lead and had one pitcher start vs. four, so I needed all the help I could get. I don't deserve to win another game this season.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I lost by 3 points. Josh Bell's triple was worth something like 9.2, and he was on my bench for Ronald Acuna, who was in the minors.

I guess maybe I assumed Bell would get -4 points because he was in a slump (if he went 0-4), so it was quasi-strategic, but entering the day on Sunday I had a narrow lead and had one pitcher start vs. four, so I needed all the help I could get. I don't deserve to win another game this season.

Yuck. I try not to overthink matchups on Sundays, but it sure is tempting.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I'd say the same in that deal.

I'm trying to think about ways to free up a spot to use as a streaming pitcher, since in my league (H2H points), I tend to dislike having position players on the bench if I can help it/my position players are all strong. I have Benintendi, Acuña, Bell, and Cain, and only really three spots between them (I also have a struggling Gregory Polanco, but he's RF eligible and none of my other players are, and we have the dedicated OF spots, not just three generic ones).

Option 1 is just cutting ties with Bell, who has been struggling but I don't think it will continue.

Option 2 is trying to make a play for a pitcher in a 2-for-1. The guy with Kershaw has him on the block, and I'm tempted to offer up Benintendi and Keuchel for him, but I think it's a little bit of an overpayment, and Kershaw's salary is probably too high to keep him.

Option 3 is to keep a wait and see approach. Benintendi sits vs. lefties, and it's easy enough to only rotate Bell back in once he finds a groove, and try to go for power vs. weak righties.

I'm also thinking that I could try and drop Bell for a starting option, and then re-add him at league minimum later in the week. I think he's performed poorly enough at a deep position that nobody will really want to jump on him. Part of my reticence to give up on him was the hope of him taking some more steps this year and becoming a value option closer to the top of the pack.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Frking Santana and Happ are busting hard on me in my 20 teams league...

Picked-up Andujar-Austin on waiver...

Who do I cut between

Almora- E.Suarez - Santana - TY. Austin or CJ Cron... need to cut 2 of them to get some RP on my squad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad