Fantasy Baseball Thread V

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
H2H league, catagories are Runs, Hits, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, GS / Wins, ERA, K, Svs

If you had to pick one of these two groups to start with, which one would you go with?

Option 1:
Mike Trout
J.D. Martinez
Freddie Freeman
Noah Syndergaard

Option 2:
Bryce Harper
Paul Goldschmidt
Corey Seager
Stephen Strasburg

daner

Feb 18, 2009
Hey was wondering if you guys/gals could help me with a pool I’m in? It’s a total home run pool consisting of picking 5 players. Only rule is the 5 players can only have a cumulative 2017 HR total of 125 or less.

Was looking for help on a few sleepers then go with 2-3 big names. Perhaps Rhys Hoskins or perhaps Devers.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hey was wondering if you guys/gals could help me with a pool I’m in? It’s a total home run pool consisting of picking 5 players. Only rule is the 5 players can only have a cumulative 2017 HR total of 125 or less.

Was looking for help on a few sleepers then go with 2-3 big names. Perhaps Rhys Hoskins or perhaps Devers.

Bogaerts. Devers.

CarGo and Trumbo should bounce back. Especially Trumbo. I wouldn't be surprised if Trumbo hits 40 bombs.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
H2H league, catagories are Runs, Hits, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, GS / Wins, ERA, K, Svs

If you had to pick one of these two groups to start with, which one would you go with?

Option 1:
Mike Trout
J.D. Martinez
Freddie Freeman
Noah Syndergaard

Option 2:
Bryce Harper
Paul Goldschmidt
Corey Seager
Stephen Strasburg

Option 1 for sure. But with that few pitching categories compared to hitting categories, I'd probably wait even longer on a pitcher. Is Freeman 3B eligible?

I'd look for players that were injured last year for a couple of them, and then go for the big guns for the other three.

What pick do you have? Or can multiple people pick the same player?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Option 1 for sure. But with that few pitching categories compared to hitting categories, I'd probably wait even longer on a pitcher. Is Freeman 3B eligible?

Thanks.

Our league is run a little strange, and although it seems like an SP doesn't have much impact compared to a hitter (3 cats to 8), those three categories always end up being essential come end of the year. Especially when you go up against the guy who goes with the hits/sb/avg/pitching stats approach.

And yes, Freeman is 1B/3B. I also believe I can get Votto there instead of one of JD/FF, but I believe the latter two will end up having the better season overall.

daner

Feb 18, 2009

I'd look for players that were injured last year for a couple of them, and then go for the big guns for the other three.

What pick do you have? Or can multiple people pick the same player?

Hi. There are no picks. Multiple teams can pick the same players. Any suggestions on injured players having comeback years?

Last year Schwarber was a pick of mine like you suggested.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hi. There are no picks. Multiple teams can pick the same players. Any suggestions on injured players having comeback years?

Last year Schwarber was a pick of mine like you suggested.

Harper is a good one. He only had 29 homers last year. Correa only had 24.

I'd go:

Harper: 29
Correa: 24
Hoskins: 18
Miguel Cabrera: 16
Arenado: 37

124 total

It's your call, but at first glance, this is what I might go with.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Got offered a trade. The league is a points league that's pitcher heavy and they are really hard to acquire. I'm not competing this year.

Manuel Margot and Triston Mckenzie for Brent Honeywell (who just went for TJ surgery). Honeywell was a top tier pitching prospect and TJ surgery is about an 85% success rate. Is it worth it? I still need to cut 2 from my team before the draft so this helps me clear a spot as well.

Thoughts?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Got offered a trade. The league is a points league that's pitcher heavy and they are really hard to acquire. I'm not competing this year.

Manuel Margot and Triston Mckenzie for Brent Honeywell (who just went for TJ surgery). Honeywell was a top tier pitching prospect and TJ surgery is about an 85% success rate. Is it worth it? I still need to cut 2 from my team before the draft so this helps me clear a spot as well.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't. The gap between McKenzie and Honeywell isn't big enough to lose Margot.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I assume I know the answer to this, but...

Out of boredom and sickness the other day, I decided to join a random Yahoo fantasy league. Apparently this is common, but the asshole who is the "commish" for the league also signed up with another team, and has now shuttled all of the best players from one of his teams to the other. I don't suppose there is much recourse that can be had with Yahoo about this kind of thing?

I've made some posts on the discussion board to alert others, and I guess my only thought about what can be done is that the rest of us basically just sabotage and drop all of our players/make the roster illegal, so that whatever satisfaction he would derive from cheating is lessened?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I assume I know the answer to this, but...

Out of boredom and sickness the other day, I decided to join a random Yahoo fantasy league. Apparently this is common, but the ******* who is the "commish" for the league also signed up with another team, and has now shuttled all of the best players from one of his teams to the other. I don't suppose there is much recourse that can be had with Yahoo about this kind of thing?

I've made some posts on the discussion board to alert others, and I guess my only thought about what can be done is that the rest of us basically just sabotage and drop all of our players/make the roster illegal, so that whatever satisfaction he would derive from cheating is lessened?

I've played fantasy long enough to know that random drop-in leagues are not the best in terms of quality....or cheating. As soon as I do a league for a year, it's active, people are setting their lineups, and trades aren't ludicrously one-sided, I sign up for another season.

All the leagues I'm currently in are ones I've been in for years.

As for what I'd do in your current situation, which I've been in recently in a fantasy football league, I'd either trade all my studs to the one manager that could beat him, or simply ignore the league. Push it to the back of the shelf.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, that makes total sense to me. Luckily I'm in a pretty good longstanding one, and I just hopped in another for this year that looks promising.

Half of the reason I joined was out of boredom and to practice drafting a bit, so I guess in that regard it wasn't a total waste.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
****, Devenski lost his SP eligiblity.

Got to drop 2 of Treinen, Neris, Devenski, Gurriel. Leaning towards Yuli and Treinen. I have Posey and Abreu as 1B eligible. It's nice to have the bat off the bench with injuries and stuff, plus that lineup, but idk if I should keep Yuli.

Last edited by a moderator:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
****, Devenski lost his SP eligiblity.

Got to drop 2 of Treinen, Neris, Devenski, Gurriel. Leaning towards Yuli and Treinen. I have Posey and Abreu as 1B eligible. It's nice to have the bat off the bench with injuries and stuff, plus that lineup, but idk if I should keep Yuli.

Yup, cut Gurriel and Treinen.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's a tough one tho. There's pros and cons to dropping each guy. I'd be dropping a closer in Treinen to keep a holds guy in Devenski. But Devo more reliable. It's tough.

Definitely. There are always pros and cons if it's a tough choice.

Is it H2H or roto? If it's H2H, I might go with Treinen over Devenski.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
H2h, mate. Closers are just so volatile. Might keep Treinen and he ends up ****ting the bed and out of closer job in a week.

I don't pay for saves. There are a lot of new closers that pop up during the season. I drafted Devenski in a league last night. I believe this is the first time I've ever had him on a team.

That draft that I mentioned was a 24 man roster, 12 team re-draft. It took two ****ing hours. People were using over a minute to pick. Even the people at the turns who had about 10 minutes between picks took forever...

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Need some help with a last minute decision about which final player to keep. We keep 10 for the redraft in my league, and I have the decision over some kind of middling Pirates. Currently 9/10 are: Goldy (32), Merrifield (2), C. Seager (7), Hoskins (7), Benintendi (6), Carrasco (16), Keuchel (11), Taillon (5), Morton (3).

For the final spot, here are my candidates: Marte (11), Polanco (7), Rivero (2), and perhaps Moustakas (2).

Right now I'm taking Rivero, even though closers are a dicey proposition, simply because we need 5 RPs, and getting one of the better closers with elite strikeout stuff for $2 seems nice. Both Marte and Polanco seem like they have too many question marks around them at this point, health and otherwise. However, both have looked very good this spring, and Polanco in particular would fill the RF spot for me (we have LF, CF, RF, 2 Us).

It's H2H points, and we basically have the stats skewed towards a more metric-friendly system. So RBIs, pitcher Ws, runs, etc don't count for anything. Just the different offensive hits, walks, stolen bases.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Thanks, yeah that's kind of where I've been sitting, but especially Polanco's spring showing/"best shape of my life" (he switched back to his old trainer and went away from the bulk up approach that seemed to compound his injuries... but the problem was, he was always a little awkward and injury prone, to say the least) has me second guessing.

However, I think Rivero is so below market value that I'm just going to stick with it. Polanco might go for higher than 7 in the draft, but the shine has worn off, and so he's somewhere in that post-hype / return to hype phase, and it probably depends on how the draft unfolds. I like Marte, but Benintendi is better and cheaper w/CF eligibility. My current thought is Rivero will save me at least $15 or so, if I wanted to go after him or someone line him in the draft, so I can afford to bid higher on Polanco if he's the best RF option and the draft calls for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad