Fantasy Baseball Thread V

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hm, that's a tough call. I might say it's worth trying to move one of the expensive OFs, since it's possible to still get production there, although I'm not sure what kind of free agents/prospects would be available, and it's pretty much impossible to replace Trout or Harper.

What's the 2B options for you if you put Kinsler back? To be honest, I don't like him at that price, but it's a thin position so it's tricky. Is Happ 2B eligible? Maybe Rendon could go back, and you could try and get a budget 3B? The other option would be Bumgarner, but I don't think you'd be in a position to get a good return for him, and I'm betting he will be totally fine, so putting him back is probably unwise too.

I imagine the league is probably too deep to really get away with this, but you could try and find several guys who you'll try and take for a dollar or very cheap, maybe early on when teams are bidding on Ohtani etc.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I’ll have to look at the second base options. Happ is second base eligible.

Edit: Most people wait until the last day to decide their keepers, so I won't have much time to decide.

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I offered someone my $27 Corey Seager and my $32 Carlos Correa in separate trades in a $400 cap dynasty league. The other guy thinks that they're too expensive. :shakehead

Kinsler at $19, cut or hold?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'd cut him, that's too steep for me and I'd rather mess around on the waiver wire to see what kind of production I could get, but it is a weak position. Still, I just don't love him being a consistent threat anymore. I think if you cut him, worst case scenario is that you'd buy him back for a little less.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Has anyone given thought to how much you'd bid on Ohtani? I'm in a CBS league, where he'll be eligible at Util and SP, and we are daily, so that means he'll always be usable as a true two-way player except when he's pitching (apparently the way they are doing it is that if he's a SP, the batting stats don't count on that day).

I'm in a standard 240 budget league - inflation and hoarding became a bit of an issue over the past seasons, but this year, we have a hard cap of 300 pre-keepers. I'll likely have about 180 to spend on 10 starters and 5 bench players. Over the past few years, the high bids in the re-draft were for players like Votto right around 50 dollars, which is obviously quite steep. I'm guessing it may come down just a bit, but that's still likely a decent expectation, given that the number of stars will be pretty sparse, with a lot of teams probably keeping 10 players like me.

I think I'm probably going to just treat him like I would a highly regarded pitcher, with any batting being more like a bonus, and probably someone to more use as a potential bench batter, if the matchups are right, etc., until we really see what the offense is. In that sense, going around 40-45 isn't too crazy, since it would leave me with just around 10 dollars on average for filling the roster out, and really more than that when you consider getting RPs more for 1 dollar than bidding on them (though last year I paid for Chapman and it ended up being smarter than I'd guess).

The real answer rests on who else will be available and all manner of conditional things, I guess, so it's hard to just say in the abstract. Even though we have prospects and people stash players (we have no minor leagues, so they have to occupy a bench spot), Acuna is somehow also available. I think I'd rather bid aggressively on him than on Ohtani -- what I'm currently thinking is that if I get a draft position early on, I will nominate Acuna before Ohtani comes up to see what happens. Although there's also the strategy of putting up the less shiny stars... surely Votto will again be available, and seeing if anyone seems like a relative bargain.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wouldn't bid more than the high teens for Ohtani.

I just wish that Yahoo had Ohtani as dual eligible. CBS does like you said. Fantrax does. I have no idea what ESPN is doing. But Yahoo has stated that they're having two separate ones. That's so dumb.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I wouldn't bid more than the high teens for Ohtani.

I just wish that Yahoo had Ohtani as dual eligible. CBS does like you said. Fantrax does. I have no idea what ESPN is doing. But Yahoo has stated that they're having two separate ones. That's so dumb.

ESPN is doing what CBS is doing. I wouldn't be adverse to trying CBS this year if you are still planning to do a Sharks league. If not, than I'm looking for a couple leagues to join, perferably H2H points and categories.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
I would like to drop a couple of prospects from this list. Who do you think has very limited potential:

Delvin Perez
Kevin Newman
Daz Cameron
Cornelius Randolph
Lourdes Gurriel
Tyler Kolek
Dillon Tate
Reese McGuire
Max Pentecost

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
What are the odds Chris Archer is traded to the NL? The Rays claim they're done trading guys away but I'm in an AL-only league and have already been burned with Souza and Dickerson.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I would like to drop a couple of prospects from this list. Who do you think has very limited potential:

Delvin Perez
Kevin Newman
Daz Cameron
Cornelius Randolph
Lourdes Gurriel
Tyler Kolek
Dillon Tate
Reese McGuire
Max Pentecost

I know all of those names, but I couldn't tell you a thing about any of them.

What are the odds Chris Archer is traded to the NL? The Rays claim they're done trading guys away but I'm in an AL-only league and have already been burned with Souza and Dickerson.

Who knows. I think he's gone by the trade deadline, but who knows where it'll be. If you're going for it, I'd say keep him. But if you are in rebuild mode, then I'd move him. (I'm assuming that it's a dynasty/keeper.)

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I know all of those names, but I couldn't tell you a thing about any of them.

Who knows. I think he's gone by the trade deadline, but who knows where it'll be. If you're going for it, I'd say keep him. But if you are in rebuild mode, then I'd move him. (I'm assuming that it's a dynasty/keeper.)
I'm actually considering trading FOR him. I think I have a decent shot at winning this year. The trade would essentially be Marcus Stroman at $14 for Archer at $28 and Brach at $5. I think both are fairly priced but Archer's closer to an ace and there are no other aces available.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm actually considering trading FOR him. I think I have a decent shot at winning this year. The trade would essentially be Marcus Stroman at $14 for Archer at $28 and Brach at $5. I think both are fairly priced but Archer's closer to an ace and there are no other aces available.

I honestly don't think the risk is worth it since if he does get traded to an NL team by the deadline, he obviously can't help you in the fantasy playoffs. I think Archer is a little above market value there. Brach is fairly priced.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Does anyone know of any good guides on auction draft strategy? I’ve been doing them for a few years now so I’m not new to it, just looking for some new ideas.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I'm mulling over an offer right now, Eugenio Suarez for my Amed Rosario. I need a 3B but don't want that to be the reason to make the deal. Looking to make the playoffs in my league this year and really compete in a year or two.

Cats are: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP)

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm mulling over an offer right now, Eugenio Suarez for my Amed Rosario. I need a 3B but don't want that to be the reason to make the deal. Looking to make the playoffs in my league this year and really compete in a year or two.

Cats are: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP)

Who's your third baseman? I think you could get more for Rosario in a dynasty.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Here to dumb down your dynasty/auction/20-team league discussion for a minute.

Need a third keeper to go with Kershaw and Stanton. Pros and cons/preferences welcome on these guys which are probably not of keeper quality.

Merrifield
Schoop
Syndergaard

I might be able to acquire Sanchez for a draft pick but keeping a catcher seems... I don't know. Other trade targets are Encarnacion and Cruz, but their age, combined with needing to give up an asset to get them.... plus not all of those trade targets can be kept, so I'll have the chance to draft at least one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->