Fantasy Baseball Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
One of my teams absolutely ravaged by injuries. 9 players on DL.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, Hoskins has really paid off for me. I need him to keep raking into the playoffs, although there's still a reasonable chance I won't make it. There's a real logjam for the final 1-2 spots in the playoffs, and my team won't win the total points tiebreaker. I need to win out and get a little luck to even make it.

I snagged Robert Stephenson for tonight's game, and he really piled up the Ks. It would be another huge boon for my team if he can be solid at the end of the season here.

I'm still having some trouble filling a RF spot with Polanco hurt (and inconsistent anyways). Currently using Melky Cabrera in the role, who is fine and has been good since getting dealt, but I wish one of my ample LFs could slide over, as I have Braun, Benintendi, Hoskins, and Dickerson all LF eligible, luckily with two being CFs and having two U spots.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
At this point I'd prefer if Hoskins spread some of this out over the next three weeks.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Just checked out our matchup RS and I was shocked how much you stormed ahead in the last 2 days. With only one bench pitcher aswell. Then I noticed....Ozuna, Lindor, Smoak. Yup. lol.

At this point I'd prefer if Hoskins spread some of this out over the next three weeks.

I wouldn't mind it if he let 2018 borrow some of these long balls. Picked him up in a dynasty league right before his call up. Grinning ear to ear.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I bid aggressively on him to primarily take a gamble that something close to this would happen in the last six weeks of the season, but I think I'll probably try and keep him now. He'll be $7 next year, which is still a bargain, but the tricky thing is that if he's just a good MLB 1B, there's so many to go around that it's not quite worth it. It looks like the power is the real deal, even if he won't hit 60 HRs or something absurd next year.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Last week of the season for me: 6 teams make the playoffs, and I'm currently in a four way tie for fifth place. I play one of the other teams I'm tied with, so as long as I win and one of the other two teams loses, I'll squeak in. It seems reasonable that it will happen - one of those teams is playing the first place team, who has only lost twice. But the other one is playing an almost guaranteed win, and if I am still in a three-way tiebreaker, I will not make the playoffs due to some abysmal weeks that have me just a hair lower in total points, which breaks the tie.

I'll be pretty annoyed if I can't make the playoffs, although I didn't really make any big moves for this season only other than trading Nola and Matz for Kimbrel, Betances, and Cobb.

My opponent this week does not have a lot of good pitchers, but we have roughly the same number of starts, and some of my good pitchers have tough matchups, or have otherwise been lagging in recent starts. I'm pretty nervous, but I guess another way to look at it is that I'm going to need a lot of luck anyways to make a run at one of the money-winning spots, so might as well just see how it plays out and go from there.

The possible SP upgrades I can snag mid-week look like Stratton on the Giants (no clue who he is, but RP eligible and piling up some Ks), and Cotton and Gossett.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I feel silly sometimes visiting this thread, as the league I play in is much less complex than most of what gets discussed here. However, I've won three straight matchups and am now a half-game up in the quest for the final playoff spot with two weeks left. So, I'm gonna ask a simple question.

Drop Lucroy for Gomes? Lucroy has had about two useful weeks this year but the position is basically a black hole. Zunino and Suzuki are also available.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My hitting finally got out of the cellar in my AL Only league. Up to 2nd overall, but the top guy has a comfortable lead. Waiting to hear on Miguel Cabrera's suspension, albeit probably not worth it to pick up a replacement hitter if the suspension gets reduced. Not like Cabrera was doing much for me recently.

In order to be keeper eligible for next year, a player has to be on your roster by September 1st. So today is basically the last day to throw out a free agent bid and have it end in time.

Trying to figure out if there's anybody worth taking a chance on. Somebody put out a bid for Lucas Giolito, but I don't think he'd go for that much in an open draft next season. I put out a bid for Greg Bird, but I think I'm content with letting somebody else have him after being burned keeping him from last year. I could start the bidding on Tulowitzki, but I don't know if he'd be worth $8 as a keeper.

Prospects like Gleyber Torres and Vlad Guerrero Jr aren't in our player pool at the moment since they weren't called up this season. I picked up Devers, Moncada/Barreto are on other squads. Any other recent fantasy relevant callups that I might have missed?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I bid aggressively on him to primarily take a gamble that something close to this would happen in the last six weeks of the season, but I think I'll probably try and keep him now. He'll be $7 next year, which is still a bargain, but the tricky thing is that if he's just a good MLB 1B, there's so many to go around that it's not quite worth it. It looks like the power is the real deal, even if he won't hit 60 HRs or something absurd next year.

I'm not sure if Hoskins will even qualify at first next year.

I feel silly sometimes visiting this thread, as the league I play in is much less complex than most of what gets discussed here. However, I've won three straight matchups and am now a half-game up in the quest for the final playoff spot with two weeks left. So, I'm gonna ask a simple question.

Drop Lucroy for Gomes? Lucroy has had about two useful weeks this year but the position is basically a black hole. Zunino and Suzuki are also available.

Lucroy has been bad for awhile. Ride the hot hand.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Corey Seager picked a terrible time of the season to be kind of hurt but not on the DL. If I make the playoffs next week, I will probably need somebody as backup in case he barely plays, but it's tricky for me to roster another SS.

I will probably try and pick up Brandon Crawford, who has three games early in the week at Coors Field, or I could go for Freddie Galvis, who is slightly better on a point per game basis. My options to drop are basically Robert Stephenson, John Lackey, Jack Flaherty (who I just added), or perhaps Corey Dickerson, since I have Braun, Hoskins, Marte, Benintendi all as LFs, and only two U spots anyways. He's tapered off a little bit in recent weeks anyways, and I prefer to have as many pitcher start possibilities as possible, so I am actually leaning towards Dickerson right now, but curious for advice. If I drop a pitcher, I think it would be Stephenson, who has to face the Brewers and is a constant danger for HRs playing in Cincy. But he also misses a lot of bats and has legit upside, so I don't like ditching him now that he's in a groove.

I don't think just riding it out with Seager is a possibility, though maybe he'll just miss Monday's game or something and I'm overthinking it.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Corey Seager picked a terrible time of the season to be kind of hurt but not on the DL. If I make the playoffs next week, I will probably need somebody as backup in case he barely plays, but it's tricky for me to roster another SS.

I will probably try and pick up Brandon Crawford, who has three games early in the week at Coors Field, or I could go for Freddie Galvis, who is slightly better on a point per game basis. My options to drop are basically Robert Stephenson, John Lackey, Jack Flaherty (who I just added), or perhaps Corey Dickerson, since I have Braun, Hoskins, Marte, Benintendi all as LFs, and only two U spots anyways. He's tapered off a little bit in recent weeks anyways, and I prefer to have as many pitcher start possibilities as possible, so I am actually leaning towards Dickerson right now, but curious for advice. If I drop a pitcher, I think it would be Stephenson, who has to face the Brewers and is a constant danger for HRs playing in Cincy. But he also misses a lot of bats and has legit upside, so I don't like ditching him now that he's in a groove.

I don't think just riding it out with Seager is a possibility, though maybe he'll just miss Monday's game or something and I'm overthinking it.

Weekly lineups, right?

I'd cut Stephenson, but that's just me. I know the upside is great, but the downside is probably worse.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
No, we're daily lineups, so that makes a big difference for flexibility. With somebody like Stephenson, I can just see how the matchup is going, and use him if I really need the gamble on more points, or be conservative if I have a lead, etc.

Ostensibly daily lineups allow you to play matchups, so bench position players are good, but I tend to have a harder time really making certain calls unless they are obvious ones, so my default strategy is to field the best position lineup I can, and use the extra bench spots to flip between pitchers and stream, etc.

The risk in dropping Dickerson is if he's going to light things up one or two more times, or if I want to entertain keeping him next year. Stephenson could totally flame out too, but pitching is so thin that it will be hard to find other options for hypothetically after Seager is fully healthy, although there's a chance he isn't claimed. Stephenson's upside for me is tempting enough that if he really proves himself in these final weeks, I could have him as a dirt cheap ($2) keeper for next year. But the downside is significant, and he could just be on a little hot streak. I'd be more optimistic about it if he weren't also walking a bit too many.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Even though Flaherty fizzled a lot yesterday, I decided to just drop Dickerson for Crawford's spot. My reasoning is that Dickerson has some bad matchups next week vs. Boston, and right now I have to focus week by week, until what's left of my waiver dollars dries up. It could end up being stupid if Marte or Hoskins goes ice cold or something, or if Flaherty is just sent back, but I figured that on the chance he gets another start, he lines up against the Padres, and then the Pirates after that, so with pitchers being insanely scarce, I'll just roll the dice.

My team is so Jeckyl and Hyde that I'll need a lot of luck to do anything no matter what. I'm actually in reasonable shape for the first week of the playoffs. My opponent only has Gio Gonzalez with 2 starts, and I have Keuchel, Cobb, and Stephenson if I start him for both. It's always a tricky balance for me with a daily lineup, because I feel like I tend to overthink things. My opponent also has to replace Adrian Beltre, and I like my pitchers way better than his, even though he has Bryant and Trout. I'll need a big week from Goldschmidt and I'm hoping Crawford stays hot heading into Coors Field, but I like my chances, and might even seek to be strategic with a pickup for the following week in terms of two-start pitchers.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
James McCann worth a pick up? I have Schwarber as my catcher and have held on to him much too long.. basically wondering if McCann is everyday C. There's a 3 way tie for last playoff spot in my league. I'm playing the top team, another guy is playing 2nd place and the last place team... need al the help I can get.

Might also be dropping Sanchez and Harper since they can't really help me this week

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
James McCann worth a pick up? I have Schwarber as my catcher and have held on to him much too long.. basically wondering if McCann is everyday C. There's a 3 way tie for last playoff spot in my league. I'm playing the top team, another guy is playing 2nd place and the last place team... need al the help I can get.

Might also be dropping Sanchez and Harper since they can't really help me this week

Aaron Sanchez? I haven't read any updates on him recently. Is he even due back this year? I'd hang onto Harper for now.

And yeah, I'd go get McCann. I'm not sure if I'd cut Schwarber in a H2H, though.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Tootoo Train's league... I am fighting for a playoff spot after starting out 7-1. I am 5-8 in my last 13 weeks. And I get to face the team in first this week. Lovely.

HF Mods league... I finished with an .813 winning percentage. If I don't win that league, something is wrong.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Tootoo Train's league... I am fighting for a playoff spot after starting out 7-1. I am 5-8 in my last 13 weeks. And I get to face the team in first this week. Lovely.

HF Mods league... I finished with an .813 winning percentage. If I don't win that league, something is wrong.

Must win week for me in Tootoo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad