Fans raise money to put up anti-Garth billboard outside Barclays

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
When you draft in the top 5 for 5 or so straight years you will have a top farm system. It’s the nature of being a consistent loser

That's the thing....Just because you draft in the top 5 for 5 straight years does NOT mean you'll have a top-5 farm system if your GM does not know how to draft.

If snow hit on all those top 5 draft picks (and his ego didn't require trading Nino) then the Isles would be a shoo-in playoff team and possible Cup contender by now.

Reactions: 12Dog

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Does having a highly ranked prospect pool change the 1 playoff round win in 12 years?

If Snow was successful in building the team his first half decade on the job the team wouldn’t have been mediocre the second half a decade on the job.
Is that what I was debating? Easy answer, no. You said they had a lousy prospect pool with Garth Snow as GM. I said they didn't. You agreed. That's all I was talking about.

Again, I have said numerous times that there is enough evidence to fire Garth Snow without needing to fabricate fake news. That's all.

Reactions: Chairman Wang

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
...And they are 100% correct to do so.

See without good ownership, any sports franchise is doomed. With Ottawa, no question Melnyk is the problem.

With the Isles, no question wang was the problem. Now Ledecky seems to be the problem as it feels like he hasn't taken the keys from wang yet.
Disagree a bit. They went to gm 7 of the third round and couldn't fill their building in the playoffs.

That's on the fans, not the owner... He's made some dubious decisions and flaps his gums a lot, and runs the team on a budget, and the arena is crappy to get to, but if you're in the 3rd round of the playoffs and fans aren't filling the building... that's tough...

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Is that what I was debating? Easy answer, no. You said they had a lousy prospect pool with Garth Snow as GM. I said they didn't. You agreed. That's all I was talking about.

Again, I have said numerous times that there is enough evidence to fire Garth Snow without needing to fabricate fake news. That's all.

I feel like it cheapens a good sound argument when people try to fashion every single thing into a negative towards Snow.

Snow has done SOME good. It is not good ENOUGH. He deserves to be let go.

Seems pretty simple and straight forward to me.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I feel like it cheapens a good sound argument when people try to fashion every single thing into a negative towards Snow.

Snow has done SOME good. It is not good ENOUGH. He deserves to be let go.

Seems pretty simple and straight forward to me.

Yeah, seems to happen a lot around here. I have never read so many comments about how Cappy needed to be fired because of his tie selection, lol. It not only cheapens the argument but makes the whole thing sound ignorant. There is so much strong evidence to fire Snow, it's counterproductive to make things up!

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, seems to happen a lot around here. I have never read so many comments about how Cappy needed to be fired because of his tie selection, lol. It not only cheapens the argument but makes the whole thing sound ignorant. There is so much strong evidence to fire Snow, it's counterproductive to make things up!

Lol. I have an identical looking black and white striped tie he often wore. It’s my go to tie... kinda like the fourth line was for Cappy.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Disagree a bit. They went to gm 7 of the third round and couldn't fill their building in the playoffs.

That's on the fans, not the owner... He's made some dubious decisions and flaps his gums a lot, and runs the team on a budget, and the arena is crappy to get to, but if you're in the 3rd round of the playoffs and fans aren't filling the building... that's tough...

A very fair point indeed. It just seems like Melnyk is the type of guy to make things harder for no reason at all. Even if he has good intentions (and I question that), he is absolutely losing the PR battle in Ottawa and to me a good owner usually has to do that.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017

It was highly rated but it amounted to nothing. Giving Snow credit for having a good prospect pool when the team finished close to last every year is grasping at straws to give Snow credit

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
It was highly rated but it amounted to nothing. Giving Snow credit for having a good prospect pool when the team finished close to last every year is grasping at straws to give Snow credit

Of course I wasn't giving credit, I was simply regurgitating what NHL analysts and writers were saying year in and year out and how they were rating prospect pools. You keep trying to push this into some kind of ultimate conclusion. It's just one piece of the puzzle you were incorrect on. For instance, if someone bakes a cake and uses too much salt, but the perfect amount of sugar, just because the cake tastes like crap it doesn't mean they screwed up every aspect. The baker should still get fired.

Snow was credited for building a good draft pool according to experts, he just ended up not putting the right people in place to handle the development and/or struck out on ones that experts thought would be good picks. I'm not giving him credit for anything.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There's an article today on The Athletic that some people on this thread might want to take a look at regarding how NHL teams fared in the draft from 2011-2015. Condensed version: Isles were ranked 25th, and the only reason they weren't dead last was because of the Barzal unicorn. Their picks have by far played the fewest NHL games of any team's picks from that span.

Reactions: Eberzal

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
There's an article today on The Athletic that some people on this thread might want to take a look at regarding how NHL teams fared in the draft from 2011-2015. Condensed version: Isles were ranked 25th, and the only reason they weren't dead last was because of the Barzal unicorn. Their picks have by far played the fewest NHL games of any team's picks from that span.

From worst to first, ranking how each NHL team performs at...

Yeah, someone alread mentioned it in the Snow's thread.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

If you asked - What's the #1 reason why the Isles aren't better, this is the answer. It's also therefore the #1 reason why snow should be fired.

You simply won't win in the NHL if you don't draft well. Look at every single contending team and see how many core players they drafted (and how many others were a result of trading a top prospect they drafted).

Kauskey

Mar 16, 2007
If you asked - What's the #1 reason why the Isles aren't better, this is the answer. It's also therefore the #1 reason why snow should be fired.

You simply won't win in the NHL if you don't draft well. Look at every single contending team and see how many core players they drafted (and how many others were a result of trading a top prospect they drafted).

100% true. Especially for a team like ours that relies on the draft to acquire talent.

Conversely, look at the monster drafts Snow had in 2008 and 2009. How many players did we acquire from those two drafts alone? Then the scouting department got poached by bigger teams like Toronto and Montreal and Hockey Canada.

Outside of the first round of the 2015 draft, Snow has a godawful track record. Drafting is an inexact science, but I'm willing to bet I could have done just as good of a job as Snow.

Reactions: periferal

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
a blind person could of done better than snow by spendibg 3 dollars for the hockey news an hour before the draft. Snow is not here because he knows hockey. We all know why he was handed this franchise tobdo what he wants with it.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Yup, development has been horrific for sure.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013

Draft poorly and pay/over pay Ladd, CC, CC etc. The NY football Giants were caught in the same situation. Poor drafting caused overpaying their own players and free agents. Mara made the right choice. Coach/staff wasn’t right(fired after playoff year!) GM clearly wasn’t getting it done.

12 years, one playoff series win. The men/women who put the billboard together, I thank you. At some point the fans have to say, enough is enough. As a fan from the mid 70’s. Pre- cablevision, I fell in love with a gritty talented team. Got hooked for sure in 80 with the Olympic team, and enjoyed a magical ride with an easy to root for dynasty. Since then? We all know, the Wang magical mystery tour. Finally past that, with a home of their own in the horizon, we should all be feeling positive, but I don’t. I feel like we are being duped yet again. Spano selling us a dream. Ownership either wants to win, make money, or minimize losses. My optimistic nature with L&M now thinks their just more politically connected Wangs. Were able to get the development he couldn’t. The hockey team/arena was just a vehicle to get land and develop it.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007

And this is exactly why it is so concerning that Garth Snow will likely still be in charge of hockey ops when we make 2 picks in the top 12 of this year's draft.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
And this is exactly why it is so concerning that Garth Snow will likely still be in charge of hockey ops when we make 2 picks in the top 12 of this year's draft.

It's not concerning - It's depressing.

The Islanders will NEVER win a Stanley Cup as long as snow is GM. Period.

Therefore Ledecky/Malkin/wang or whoever is keeping him employed is just wasting everyone's time the longer they keep him employed.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm still betting Snow gets cashiered shortly after the season ends unless L&M are the biggest slumlords in all of sports. If he still has a job on May 1st then we can all go the Bud Dwyer route to end our suffering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad