Fan960 Calgary reports PA rejects League's cap offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:
:dunno:

I only see one of us posting any numbers at all.
because i have proven my point in my post. baseball has never been more popular. when you take into account there are 500 other channels of programing up againts the world series the numbers the world series gets are very high.

please post attendance numbers so i can pick them apart too. this is fun

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Son of Steinbrenner said:
because i have proven my point in my post. baseball has never been more popular. when you take into account there are 500 other channels of programing up againts the world series the numbers the world series gets are very high.

if you honestly want to defend a sport where you spend over $100 million more than anyone else, and ten times what some other teams spend, be my guest. And that disparity grows every single year. Fans of the other teams are idiots if they keep coming, and it is impossible to think that they will if this continues and the same four or five teams are in the playoffs every single year, the others fighting for a couple of spots.

Remember how many new ballparks have opened of late, once those wear off and the product remains the same few teams in the playoffs each year (with a team or two getting lucky on the side) you really think that people will spend money for that if not in NY or similar towns? Why?

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:
if you honestly want to defend a sport where you spend over $100 million more than anyone else, and ten times what some other teams spend, be my guest. And that disparity grows every single year. Fans of the other teams are idiots if they keep coming, and it is impossible to think that they will if this continues and the same four or five teams are in the playoffs every single year, the others fighting for a couple of spots.
what team pays 100 million over anybody else? you do realize the yankees paid 80 million in revenue sharing and luxary tax. (you know money that is split by the small market teams)

same 4 or 5 teams are in the playoffs every year? i don't think so please post what 4 or 5 teams are in the playoffs every year.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Someone broke it down in one of these threads about a week or so ago, showing how the same teams, about 5 or 6, made the playoffs a large percentage of the time, inb the last 1o years, and everyone else scrambled to make it maybe once. It was a very good breakdown actually and showed how wrong you are about how 'competitive' baseball really is. BTW, when was the last time the Yankees or Red Sox missed the playoffs?

Maybe someone can post a link if they remember it, I do not have the inclination to search for it right now, especially since you have posted nothing as far as numbers thus far . . .

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
what team pays 100 million over anybody else? you do realize the yankees paid 80 million in revenue sharing and luxary tax. (you know money that is split by the small market teams)

same 4 or 5 teams are in the playoffs every year? i don't think so please post what 4 or 5 teams are in the playoffs every year.

If you don't think the Yankees cable money and consequent huge payroll doesn't give them a huge advantage, you're simply crazy. It's hard to even try to rationalize with someone who thinks it doesn't.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:
Someone broke it down in one of these threads about a week or so ago, showing how the same teams, about 5 or 6, made the playoffs a large percentage of the time, inb the last 1o years, and everyone else scrambled to make it maybe once. It was a very good breakdown actually and showed how wrong you are about how 'competitive' baseball really is. BTW, when was the last time the Yankees or Red Sox missed the playoffs?

Maybe someone can post a link if they remember it, I do not have the inclination to search for it right now, especially since you have posted nothing as far as numbers thus far . . .
last time the red sox missed the playoffs was 2002

last time the yankees missed the playoffs was 1993

what about the braves? they aren't a large market team yet they continue to be succesful. how do you explain that one?

what about the twins?

what about the 2003 marlins?

get the point its not just the large market teams that make the playoffs its the teams that are built right. Do the yankees overpay for people? yup but they aren't the only team to do so.

the fact remains baseball has never been more succesful. i proved it when you posted those tv ratings (before i forget thanks for proving my point with that) and its proven by the attendance around baseball.

bringing up the same teams making the playoffs and how your sick of it doesn't mean baseball is "dying a slow death"

frankly if you don't want to watch it don't watch it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
here is a listing of all the playoffs since 1996. As I said, someone broke it down, I am not going to do it. But I see a whole lot of Boston, NYY and Atlanta in there as a start. STL has been in 6 of the last 9 playoffs. I could look further, as I said though 5 or 6 of the biggest spenders are in almost every year. To call this competitive is a joke:

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/mlbplayoffs.shtml

To think that fans in most of the other MLB town will continue to support this as it is defies any sort of logic. Why in the hell would I spend $200 plus to take my family of four to a game that is this rigged? You can only fool the majority of fans so long.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Greschner4 said:
If you don't think the Yankees cable money and consequent huge payroll doesn't give them a huge advantage, you're simply crazy. It's hard to even try to rationalize with someone who thinks it doesn't.
how many world series have the yankees won over the past 4 years?

birds chirping

crickets

tumble weeds

ok here is the answer

zero. thats right none so what advantage do they have? they pay the penalty for there spending with the luxary tax and revenue sharing. (btw its funny they aren't the only team yet you talk about the yankees)

the amount of money you spend doesn't mean you are going to win a world series (or stanley cup as my much beloved new york rangers have proved)

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Jaded-Fan said:

Remember how many new ballparks have opened of late, once those wear off and the product remains the same few teams in the playoffs each year (with a team or two getting lucky on the side) you really think that people will spend money for that if not in NY or similar towns? Why?

What's with all the Bolshevism from someone who's constantly walking the plank for neoconservatives? Bush's cheerleaders at the Wall Street Journal would probably be aghast reading your posts.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:
here is a listing of all the playoffs since 1996. As I said, someone broke it down, I am not going to do it. But I see a whole lot of Boston, NYY and Atlanta in there as a start. To call this competitive is a joke:

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/mlbplayoffs.shtml

atlanta is a small market team who spends there money wisely

when the yankees were winning the world series in the 90's they didn't have the highest payroll in baseball. (for the third time)

you mention 3 teams out 8 how about all the other teams that have made it. :dunno:

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
last time the red sox missed the playoffs was 2002

last time the yankees missed the playoffs was 1993

what about the braves? they aren't a large market team yet they continue to be succesful. how do you explain that one?

what about the twins?

what about the 2003 marlins?

get the point its not just the large market teams that make the playoffs its the teams that are built right. Do the yankees overpay for people? yup but they aren't the only team to do so.

the fact remains baseball has never been more succesful. i proved it when you posted those tv ratings (before i forget thanks for proving my point with that) and its proven by the attendance around baseball.

bringing up the same teams making the playoffs and how your sick of it doesn't mean baseball is "dying a slow death"

frankly if you don't want to watch it don't watch it.

If the front offices of the Twins, Marlins, and Braves -- and A's for that matter -- could have a $200 million payroll, the Yankees would never be contenders because those front offices are a lot better at what they do than the Yankees'. It's only because the Yankees can outspend everybody that they can contend every year.

That's the kind of situation people don't want for the NHL and it isn't hard to see why.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005

when the yankees were winning the world series in the 90's they didn't have the highest payroll in baseball. (for the third time)

you mention 3 teams out 8 how about all the other teams that have made it. :dunno:

Atlanta is not a small market team; they've had high payrolls every year until last year when it was still high but started to decrease.

The Yankees have had a top 5 payroll every year for decades. So what if in a couple years they weren't #1 ... they were never far away.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Houston 5 of the last 9 playoffs
STL 6 of the last 9
CLV 5 of the last 9
Seattle 6 of 10

Not much left for the rest once NYY (every year), Boston and ATL are thrown in, is there?

Why if you are not from those towns would you spend a dime on baseball? Would you if not from NY? And can you with a straight face call this competitive balance that hockey should strive for?

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Greschner4 said:
If the front offices of the Twins, Marlins, and Braves -- and A's for that matter -- could have a $200 million payroll, the Yankees would never be contenders because those front offices are a lot better at what they do than the Yankees'. It's only because the Yankees can outspend everybody that they can contend every year.

That's the kind of situation people don't want for the NHL and it isn't hard to see why.
this is awesome and fun

the championship yankee teams were built with home grown players. look it up

bernie
jeter
pettite
posada
riveria

the yankees didn't sign high profile free agents during that time they just spent the money on there own guys and traded young players to fill there needs.

what i sense with you is the typical jealous rant you get from the yankee-hater.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

small market team? :lol

Atlanta had a payroll of almost $100 milion each of the three years prior to last, when they btw almost spent $80 million.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/01/01/payroll.comparison.ap/

If you are going to battle, come armed with something next time.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:
Houston 5 of the last 9 playoffs
STL 6 of the last 9
CLV 5 of the last 9
Seattle 6 of 10

Not much left for the rest once NYY (every year), Boston and ATL are thrown in, is there?

Why if you are not from those towns would you spend a dime on baseball? Would you if not from NY? And can you with a straight face call this competitive balance that hockey should strive for?
cleveland is a small market town

atlanta is a small market town

these are the teams that have made the playoffs along side the yankees
cleveland-small market
seattle-mid market
texas-mid market
oakland-small market
minnesota-small market
anaheim-larget market

braves-small market
reds-very small market
padres-mid market
houston-mid market
giants-small market
mets-large market
arizona-large market
cardinals-large market
chicago-large market
los angeles-large market

now it seems to me your probems should be with NL teams and there spending not the AL teams. the yankees are blocking anybody from making the playoffs. nothing is stoping a team from competing with them (or beating them like teams have the past 4 years)

you are way off the topic of your original point that baseball is dying a slow death. you are talking about something totally new right now. if you have a problem with the way baseball is run do the world a favor and don't watch.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
this is awesome and fun

the championship yankee teams were built with home grown players. look it up

bernie
jeter
pettite
posada
riveria

the yankees didn't sign high profile free agents during that time they just spent the money on there own guys and traded young players to fill there needs.

what i sense with you is the typical jealous rant you get from the yankee-hater.

That's always the fallback position of the Yankee fan -- that in one short and totally flukish period, they produced some good home-grown players. What they don't tell you is that teams like the early 2000s A's (Giambi, Tejada, Hudson, Zito, Mulder), early 90s Pirates (Bonds, Drabek, etc.), early 2000s Twins, 2000s Marlins, hell, maybe even the late 90s/early 2000s Royals (Beltran, Damon, Dye, Sweeney) grew nucleuses that were every bit as good, but couldn't afford to keep them together. Had they, the Yankees would be just another team.

That's the difference and it's what people don't want for hockey.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:
small market team? :lol

Atlanta had a payroll of almost $100 milion each of the three years prior to last, when they btw almost spent $80 million.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/01/01/payroll.comparison.ap/

If you are going to battle, come armed with something next time.
almost 100 million in baseball is not a lot of money and they paid there important players that money (pitchers)

almost 80 million is not alot of money. jesus man you are out of the loop :lol

the fact remains baseball has never been more popular and that was our original argument. an argument i enjoyed you schooling in.

have a nice night

Last edited:

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Greschner4 said:
That's always the fallback position of the Yankee fan -- that in one short and totally flukish period, they produced some good home-grown players. What they don't tell you is that teams like the early 2000s A's (Giambi, Tejada, Hudson, Zito, Mulder), early 90s Pirates (Bonds, Drabek, etc.), early 2000s Twins, 2000s Marlins, hell, maybe even the late 90s/early 2000s Royals (Beltran, Damon, Dye, Sweeney) grew nucleuses that were every bit as good, but couldn't afford to keep them together. Had they, the Yankees would be just another team.

That's the difference and it's what people don't want for hockey.

so the yankees are wrong because they kept there nucleas of players. oh i'm done with this. you can't reason with the yankee-haters

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Those 6 or 7 teams take up something like 50% of the slots any given year son of yankee apologist. Now you are basically saying to everyone else to be happy with their once a decade appearance, usually a first round loss against the much bigger budget team.

My question is, why should we not among those 6 ot 7 put up with that?

And why in the world would we want this for hockey?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
almost 100 million in baseball is not a lot of money and they paid there important players that money (pitchers)

almost 80 million is not alot of money. jesus man you are out of the loop :lol

the fact remains baseball has never been more popular and that was our original argument. an argument i enjoyed schooling in.

have a nice night

Huh? Who has ever had over $100 million in salaries besides you, Boston and a couple of other teams? Are you just pulling this all straight out of your a$$? I thought so.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site

That baseball has never been more popular just shows there's still a huge market untaped for WWF like enterprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->