Fan960 Calgary reports PA rejects League's cap offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Sammy said:
:joker: :joker: :joker:

You show know alot about Unions there Bud.
:lol:

unions this isnt the local 390 carpenters union. this is the NHL players association.
its funny when fans try to bring other unions into this.

btw

who made more money off expansion the players or the owners?
owners

who would lose more money if teams folded?

players.

now is it fair for the players to lose jobs while owners made money? nope but yet its a reality that both sides will deal with. The NHL is fringe league now but will be lower than the WNBA and NLL in america if they lose this season. An agreement now isn't about playing a short season and playoffs its about having training camp and a full season next year. IF the sides can't agree to anything by the end of the weekend than this league is cooked.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Son of Steinbrenner said:
now is it fair for the players to lose jobs while owners made money?

Is it fair for the players to demand that there be no connection between salaries and revenues when they have zero financial risk in the whole matter?

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Sammy said:
They already did you donkey.
And by the way there are 30 teams. Not too tough to poll them.
Now answer the question.
PROVE IT.

The FACT is the nhlpa offer was never put up to vote among the BOG. But if you feel the need to lie to further your argument than i don't know what to say.

SENSible1*

CarlRacki said:
Which is exactly why there won't be a vote. I have no idea how that vote would turn out, but if they have a vote, the results will almost certainly leak. If those results show that even as much as 25 percent of the players vote for a cap, the notion of union solidarity takes a big hit.

If they don't take a vote there could be two very negative consequences.
1) The potential for a revolt in the PA. If enough players like what they see, they will force a vote or remove the negotiating team.
2) The likelyhood of impasse being declared is increased, with the owners being able to claim the PA is not bargaining in good faith.

Sammy*

unions this isnt the local 390 carpenters union. this is the NHL players association.
its funny when fans try to bring other unions into this.

btw

owners

who would lose more money if teams folded?

players.

now is it fair for the players to lose jobs while owners made money? nope but yet its a reality that both sides will deal with. The NHL is fringe league now but will be lower than the WNBA and NLL in america if they lose this season. An agreement now isn't about playing a short season and playoffs its about having training camp and a full season next year. IF the sides can't agree to anything by the end of the weekend than this league is cooked.
Are you for reral. Is it "fair". Is it fair that the league has lost 200 + million over the last, what 1 year while the players have made 1billion in the last year.
By the way, why doesnt Goodenow put it to a vote?

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Seachd said:
Is it fair for the players to demand that there be no connection between salaries and revenues when they have zero financial risk in the whole matter?
In a word No.

but if the owners would have some sort of meaningful revenue sharing plan than perhaps the players would be ok with a connection to salaries and revenues.

Sammy*

ScottyBowman said:

You are one bitter kid.
Scotty , I am not a kid but apparently you either are an insider or just very inarticulate. I'll give you the benefit. You are an insider.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
carolina
aneheim
tampa bay
calgary.

hmm i guess its just the large market teams that are succesful

i mean i'm a rangers fan and i'm sooooooooo happy my team spends to win.

Anaheim fell apart after their Stanley Cup run. They did not make a qualifying offer to Paul Kariya, which was a smart move. Carolina had a lucky run to make it to the finals and then fell apart the following season. Tampa Bay will go broke trying to keep all the good young players together. If they are willing, they will have more success but not financially. Calgary did not make the playoffs for 7 straight years and would not have made any run without almost breaking the bank to keep Iginla.

They have already lost Craig Conroy from last years lineup and won't be able to keep the team together as any player who is up for a new contract will think making it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup means they should all get multi-million dollar contracts per year. Though I love the Flames future with that already good young defense adding the amazing Dion Phaneuf.

The New York Rangers, the most poorly managed professional sports team. They overpay every geriatric out there at the expense of developing good young talent with the hunger to truly make a team successful.

Bravo owners! I am delighted they haven't given in to those digusting greedy players. The players should have shown some balls 10 years ago and spoken up when Bettman decided to simulate parity by enforcing obstruction and destroying the sport we all knew and loved.

Over the last decade I have lost my lunch a number of times as I observed players that could barely score 20 goals holding out for their 3 to 5 million dollar contracts. They argue today that the owners should have just said no.

Well the owners are saying no now and nothing has changed as all of the players have decided to sit out or play for 1/10 their salary in Europe. Good grief... the players avarice is sickening.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Sorry, thats the numbers that Bob et al @ TSN, the Hockey Central panel use @ Sportsnet and both the PA & NHL use.

Dont like it?

Heres a quarter.

Call them up and complain.

Until then, Ill be using those numbers, thanks very much :)

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Sammy said:
Are you for reral. Is it "fair". Is it fair that the league has lost 200 + million over the last, what 1 year while the players have made 1billion in the last year.
By the way, why doesnt Goodenow put it to a vote?
Why don't the owners put the players 24% rollback to a vote?

oh wait you lied and said they did.

Is it the players fault the owners have run there business badly. Is it the players fault the owners gave them huge contracts. (you do realize two parties have to sign a contract)

This is about the owners wanting someone else to clean up there mess.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
In a word No.

but if the owners would have some sort of meaningful revenue sharing plan than perhaps the players would be ok with a connection to salaries and revenues.

Which brings us back to the biggest problem with the NHL, lockout or no lockout:

What revenue?

<JESTER>

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
In a word No.

I doubt it. The league's proposed revenue sharing was no worse than the players', and if the players are to be believed, they won't accept a cap period. The players' only offer left the door wide open for sky-high salaries (status quo), when some of the teams are in serious trouble.

Is that a reasonable position?

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
owners

That's simple. The players.
The last four teams to enter the NHL (Columbus, Minnesota, Atlanta, Nashville) each paid a $80 million expansion fee. That $320 million for the owners.
In the past four years, those new teams paid out $342 million in player salaries.
And the beauty of it for the players is that they will continue to reap the benefits of those newly created jobs whereas the expansion fee for the owners is a one-time thing.

Sammy*

PROVE IT.

The FACT is the nhlpa offer was never put up to vote among the BOG. But if you feel the need to lie to further your argument than i don't know what to say.
They canvassed the owners you clown. Theres a grand total of 30 teams.It takes only 8 to reject it. You dont think they got 8? And you demanding someone "prove it" is just too rich. And btw, there are about 18 owners in Edmonton. Its not like their mutes.
And again, why wont Goodenow put it to the players?

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Why don't the owners put the players 24% rollback to a vote?

oh wait you lied and said they did.

Is it the players fault the owners have run there business badly. Is it the players fault the owners gave them huge contracts. (you do realize two parties have to sign a contract)

This is about the owners wanting someone else to clean up there mess.

The players have no intention whatsoever of letting the owners stop the madness that is the NHL salaries today. They've reaped the rewards from a bloody perfect CBA for them and now its the owners turn to put a stop to it.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Seachd said:
I doubt it. The league's proposed revenue sharing was no worse than the players', and if the players are to be believed, they won't accept a cap period. The players' only offer left the door wide open for sky-high salaries (status quo), when some of the teams are in serious trouble.

Is that a reasonable position?
I think the players offer could have been something to build around. It wasn't perfect but even bettman was floored by it.

the players revenue sharing had the high revenue teams sharing regular season money with the low market teams.

The owners revenue sharing plan had the playoff teams sharing revenue.

That is a huge differance and i think its the only reason the big money teams are supporting bettman.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Sammy said:
They canvassed the owners you clown. Theres a grand total of 30 teams. And you demanding someone "prove it" is just too rich. And btw, there are about 18 owners in Edmonton. Its not like their mutes.
Canvass the owners is the same as putting it up for a vote infront of the BOG?

wait for it

:lol :lol :lol :lol

oh thats funny

you said and i quote

Sammy said:
They already did you donkey.
And by the way there are 30 teams. Not too tough to poll them.
Now answer the question.
now you say they canvassed the owners. Prove it. if you want to make a statement that it was put up to a a vote or it was "canvassed" back it up with a link or a source. i know you think its to "rich" to ask someone to back up there statements with facts :lol

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Oh well
If nothing is done by this weekend I can just stop thinking about hockey.. cause nothing is going to be done.

It will kind of be a relief :p:

Hockey_Nut99

I think the players offer could have been something to build around. It wasn't perfect but even bettman was floored by it.

the players revenue sharing had the high revenue teams sharing regular season money with the low market teams.

The owners revenue sharing plan had the playoff teams sharing revenue.

That is a huge differance and i think its the only reason the big money teams are supporting bettman.

Buddy your living in a different world. For god sakes, your a Yankee and Ranger lover. The two teams you represent are the poster childs for what is wrong in these sports.

How come when a player doesn't get a contract he wants, he holds out on his services? Have you ever realized that if an owner says no to 3 or 4 players on his roster, then his whole season can be in jeapordy? They put alot of pressure on the owners. Fans get on the GM to hurry up and ice the best team possible. The players don't care. Look at Gaborik. He screwed up things for Minny this year. There is many scenerios that go into it.

Who cares who made the mess. Isn't it the bottom line that the NHL is not well economicaly? Isn't that the thing were supposed to be looking at? Players make me sick. "It's your fault. Even though you provide me and my family money, I will not hellp you get out of this mess." Absolutely pathetic!

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
CarlRacki said:
That's simple. The players.
The last four teams to enter the NHL (Columbus, Minnesota, Atlanta, Nashville) each paid a $80 million expansion fee. That $320 million for the owners.
In the past four years, those new teams paid out $342 million in player salaries.
And the beauty of it for the players is that they will continue to reap the benefits of those newly created jobs whereas the expansion fee for the owners is a one-time thing.
but the owners that were in the league got that money. you are confusing two things here. this isn't about the money expansion teams paid out in salaries its about how much money the owners of the other teams got.

jeez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad