Fan960 Calgary reports PA rejects League's cap offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

Son of Steinbrenner said:
30 stable franchises.

there might not be 20 when the dust settles.

And how many members will that cost the PA?

Looks like it is time for the players to face the inevitable.

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
I'm not prepared to give up on the players yet, if they can table a reasonable counteroffer in the next 24-48 hours :dunno:

Sammy*

nobody knows if thats true and nobody knows what else was in the deal.
Well, if there was a 48 million cap & it was rejected, I think that the NHLPA is being led by a madman & that idiot Esche apparently was speaking the truth when he said that they would even reject a 200 mil cap.
By the way, question for the NHLPA apologist, why doesnt the madman ever put it to a vote?. No democracy at the NHLPA?

Sammy*

Thunderstruck said:

Looks like it is time for the players to fact the inevitable.
Exactly. Brilliant move by the NHLPA costing 33% of your constituency.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Thunderstruck said:

Looks like it is time for the players to fact the inevitable.
who cares how many it will cost the PA. the suck players will be gone and the good players will still have jobs. The union isn't about the bottom guys its about the top guys thats reality.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
no13matssundin said:
Ya, i agree. I think its really glaringly obvious now. The NHL is SCREWED

THIS is what always gives me optomism for somereason. If we realise if theres no season how BAD this is gonna hurt the NHL the people who actually run the NHL see it too right? Am I giving both sides too much credit here? I just cant believe that each side doesn't realise what a huge blow to the NHL it would be if the season is lost. That's why I keep refusing to believe they'll allow it too happen but maybe I really am giving them too much credit who knows.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
go kim johnsson said:
People aren't realizing that is the season is canceled, there is no long term helth of the NHL. It will almost cease to be.

That is an issue for the players and owners to decide.

:joker:

Not that they will give you an answer or will work in earnest to get a quality deal completed, but that is who it is up to.

:joker:

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
wait my hero?

oh you mean mr steinbrenner. you mean a man that pays over 80 million in luxary tax and revenue sharing. an owner in sport that has never been more popular and a sport where the average salary has gone DOWN since the last cba was signed. that mr steinbrener?

The brewers sold for over 400 million dollars and you think baseball is ruined. :lol

Baseball salares are not down since the last CBA.
In 2002, the year the CBA was signed, the average salary was $2.3 million. Last year, it was $2.49 million. There was a small drop between 2003 and 2004, but much of that came from teams like the Rangers, Pirates and Brewers slashing payroll. With the overinflated contracts given this winter to Carlos Beltran, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, Richie Sexson, Adrian Beltre, etc., don't expect that number to go down in 2005.

The Brewers were sold for over $400 million ... in Bud Selig's wet dreams. In the real world, the sale price was $223 million.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/brewers/2005-01-13-sale-approved_x.htm

SENSible1*

go kim johnsson said:
People aren't realizing that is the season is canceled, there is no long term helth of the NHL. It will almost cease to be.

Keep dreaming.
Will the league suffer loss of revenue?

You betcha. Good thing the players salaries will drop the same amount due to linkage.

bluebleeder38

Feb 8, 2003
The S.T.L.
Visit site
I think a huge thing working against the NHL is that not as many people care about the lockout as they think. I mean obviously hockey fans like the people on this site care, but the population as a whole doesn't. If they cancel the season and come back at some point next season, the fan interest won't be there; people as a whole won't be pleading for them to come back, and I think the NHL players think that more people care about them coming back than what actually do.

Sammy*

who cares how many it will cost the PA. the suck players will be gone and the good players will still have jobs. The union isn't about the bottom guys its about the top guys thats reality.
:joker: :joker: :joker:

You show know alot about Unions there Bud.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Sammy said:
Well, if there was a 48 million cap & it was rejected, I think that the NHLPA is being led by a madman & that idiot Esche apparently was speaking the truth when he said that they would even reject a 200 mil cap.
By the way, question for the NHLPA apologist, why doesnt the madman ever put it to a vote?. No democracy at the NHLPA?
why don't the owners put the 24% rollback up for a vote.

no democracy at the NHL?

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004

Well, at least someone faces facts, though I doubt this little gem is contained in Bob Goodenow's talking points memo.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
EdBelfour20 said:
I'm not prepared to give up on the players yet, if they can table a reasonable counteroffer in the next 24-48 hours :dunno:

Not to be mean or anything, but how much more reasonable is a 42 Mil Cap?

The avg. salaries right now are 1.9 Mil... a 42 Mil cap is an average of 1.8 Mil...

Its virtually exactly what it is now!

The NHL just offered up the best deal in the universe (outside of nothing changing) in terms of a Cap.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

no democracy at the NHL?
Because it would get mudstomped in an extreme hurry? It didn't help the economic situation of the league. Why would they vote for it?

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
More from Peter Maher:

This is not necessarily the official "Final Offer" from the NHL.

If the players will reject an offer that is basically a capped status quo, then im not sure how much more sweet the NHL can make it. :dunno:

All I know is that Im tired of this. Cancel the season already and let BOTH sides get whats coming to them. :madfire:

SENSible1*

When the PA puts the final offer to a vote, do the top players votes count as 5 or 10?

Commodore's vote counts the same as Jagr's.

Vomiting Kermit*

Thunderstruck said:
Great to see the owners sticking to their guns. I'd rather see them cancel the season than cave again.
Same here.

Sammy*

no democracy at the NHL?
They already did you donkey.
And by the way there are 30 teams. Not too tough to poll them.
Now answer the question.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Commodore's vote counts the same as Jagr's.

Which is exactly why there won't be a vote. I have no idea how that vote would turn out, but if they have a vote, the results will almost certainly leak. If those results show that even as much as 25 percent of the players vote for a cap, the notion of union solidarity takes a big hit.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
no13matssundin said:
Not to be mean or anything, but how much more reasonable is a 42 Mil Cap?

The avg. salaries right now are 1.9 Mil... a 42 Mil cap is an average of 1.8 Mil...

Its virtually exactly what it is now!

The NHL just offered up the best deal in the universe (outside of nothing changing) in terms of a Cap.

Please stop using average salaries and start using median salaries.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
carolina
aneheim
tampa bay
calgary.

hmm i guess its just the large market teams that are succesful :shakehead
Thanks, but you didn't have to prove my point for me. 1 team on your list won the Cup. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once on a while.

Tampa - a team with a lot of young players and one high paid goalie. Let's see how long they keep them together (pending the details of the current CBA negotiations). All the other winners in the last 10 years were among the top 5 biggest spenders.

Giguere - best playoff performance of all time, still lost
Kiprusoff - career year, still lost
Irbe/Weekes - splitting the net duties in the playoffs? I'm fairly confident that won't happen again.

Either way, do you think the fans in these cities actually expected the run or have any reason to expect another Cinderella story? Go Flames Go doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->